March 24, 201115 yr No hold on just a second. I think Coach K is the best coach in the country bar none. Just take a look at the accomplishments. But he hasn't hurt for NBA level talent. Battier, Williams, Williams, Hurley, Leattner, Brand, Singler, Smith, Dawkins, and the list goes on and on. To say his talent is much different than UK talent is laughable. UK has had that type of talent 1 time in 15 years. I'm talking about current UK talent under Cal, or Calipari talent if that suits you better. And of all those players you just listed, how many of them had a stellar NBA career? Simple fact Cal's one and dones are having a pretty good record in the NBA for being star players, Duke's players often times get to the league but they are almost never the star of the show in the league. So yes they are very different types of talent.
March 24, 201115 yr I'm talking about current UK talent under Cal, or Calipari talent if that suits you better. And of all those players you just listed, how many of them had a stellar NBA career? Simple fact Cal's one and dones are having a pretty good record in the NBA for being star players, Duke's players often times get to the league but they are almost never the star of the show in the league. So yes they are very different types of talent. Shane Battier has had a solid career. Grant Hill has had a great NBA career, although marred by injuries. Elton Brand was the #1 overall pick & has had a very good career. Jason (Jay) Williams could have been a very, very good NBA player.
March 24, 201115 yr I'm talking about current UK talent under Cal, or Calipari talent if that suits you better. And of all those players you just listed, how many of them had a stellar NBA career? Simple fact Cal's one and dones are having a pretty good record in the NBA for being star players, Duke's players often times get to the league but they are almost never the star of the show in the league. So yes they are very different types of talent. OK I forgot a few. Boozer (NBA All-Star), Dunleavy, Maggette, Deng, Hill, and Redick. Poor Coach K. HT are you serious. I can guarantee you that Coach K has signed more McDonald's All Americans than Calipari over the past 5 years. Heck, UK has one of the best classes in history next year and Duke has one less burger boy than UK. If Coach K's system doesn't prepare kids for the NBA then so be it. His job is to coach Duke the best way he sees fit. But to say his talent has been inferior to anyones over the past 5, 10, or 15 years is insane.
March 24, 201115 yr Shane Battier has had a solid career. Grant Hill has had a great NBA career, although marred by injuries. Elton Brand was the #1 overall pick & has had a very good career. Jason (Jay) Williams could have been a very, very good NBA player. Don't forget Magette & Redick. Both have had pretty good careers, although J.J.'s seems to be just getting started. And of course, he convienently failed to consider Boozer and Deng, who last I checked were doing alright in Chicago.
March 24, 201115 yr OK I forgot a few. Boozer (NBA All-Star), Dunleavy, Maggette, Deng, Hill, and Redick. Poor Coach K. HT are you serious. I can guarantee you that Coach K has signed more McDonald's All Americans than Calipari over the past 5 years. Heck, UK has one of the best classes in history next year and Duke has one less burger boy than UK. If Coach K's system doesn't prepare kids for the NBA then so be it. His job is to coach Duke the best way he sees fit. But to say his talent has been inferior to anyones over the past 5, 10, or 15 years is insane. :thumb: It's HT my man. You have to understand his motive going in.
March 24, 201115 yr :thumb: It's HT my man. You have to understand his motive going in. Oh, I get it. Since 2006 Duke has signed 12 McD's AA (Henderson, Scheyer, Smith, King, Singler, Williams, Kelly, Plumlee, Irving, Rivers, Cook, Plumlee) Cal between Memphis and UK has signed 11, and 7 of those are in the past two years (Rose, Evans, Cousins, Wall, Knight, Lamb, Jones, Wiltjer, Gilchrist, Teague, Davis) Coach K has signed more all americans named Plumlee than 95% of the other schools total all americans.
March 24, 201115 yr Coach K and the fact that last year's Duke team may have been his 10th best team ever at Duke has to put him as RP said 'in any reasonable person's top 5.' I'll give Izzo a nod despite this year's debacle. Brad Stevens Tubby Smith Mark Few Donnie Tyndall Steve Lavin Bob Huggins Bill Self Bo Ryan Thad Matta
March 24, 201115 yr Oh, I get it. Since 2006 Duke has signed 12 McD's AA (Henderson, Scheyer, Smith, King, Singler, Williams, Kelly, Plumlee, Irving, Rivers, Cook, Plumlee) Cal between Memphis and UK has signed 11, and 7 of those are in the past two years (Rose, Evans, Cousins, Wall, Knight, Lamb, Jones, Wiltjer, Gilchrist, Teague, Davis) Coach K has signed more all americans named Plumlee than 95% of the other schools total all americans. I understand the point you're trying to make & generally agree with you, but the McDonald's AA game is not the best ammo for your argument. The Burger Boy game is a complete fraud and the selections are based more on who is going where, as opposed to who the top players are.
March 24, 201115 yr Personally, I find it difficult to say who is a good X's & O's coach since I'm not in the huddle and don't study game tape. Anybody who can list a top 10 is simply guessing, in my opinion. I will say that Rick Pitino deserves some credit. It's hard not to put Coach K & Izzo near the top due to their history of success. Also, I have been impressed with Kentucky's ability to score coming out of the huddle (whether it be from a timeout, injury, etc.) this year, so Cal deserves some credit for that. Finally, I will add that Billy Gillispie should only be mentioned ONCE in this thread. I've never seen a team, on any level, struggle to inbounds the ball like Billy Clyde's teams.
March 24, 201115 yr Why? I hear this A LOT, but the man has top5 talent year in and year out. I hate admitting this publicly, but Coach K is a solid coach. You can have 5 NBA players on your roster and you still won't win anything if you can't coach.
March 24, 201115 yr I will keep this argument about talent in mind when we begin our discussions on how dominant the 2011-12 Wildcats will be. I understand what HT is saying. If Duke was signing Calipari Talent then Duke would go undefeated every year. Yeah, they both get burger boys but Duke pulled one top 10 burger boy this year while UK has three of the top five.....correct me if I am wrong there. No one is pulling Calipari Talent(didn't last year's class have a thread comparing them to the Fab Five) and I think that is the point he is trying to make. I wouldn't say Duke is short on talent but it still isn't Calipari Talent. I don't see how that can be argued.
March 24, 201115 yr I will keep this argument about talent in mind when we begin our discussions on how dominant the 2011-12 Wildcats all be. I understand what HT is saying. If Duke was signing Calipari Talent then Duke would go undefeated every year. Yeah, they both get burger boys but Duke pulled one top 10 burger boy this year while UK has three of the top five.....ccorrect me if I am wrong there. No one is pulling Calipari Talent(didn't last year's class have a thread comparing them to the Fab Five) and I think that is the point he is trying to make. I wouldn't say Duke is short on talent but it still isn't Calipari Talent. I don't see how that can be argued. It is easily argued when HT suggests that Duke's players, although talented, are not quality players in the NBA.
March 24, 201115 yr Personally, I find it difficult to say who is a good X's & O's coach since I'm not in the huddle and don't study game tape. Anybody who can list a top 10 is simply guessing, in my opinion. I will say that Rick Pitino deserves some credit. It's hard not to put Coach K & Izzo near the top due to their history of success. Also, I have been impressed with Kentucky's ability to score coming out of the huddle (whether it be from a timeout, injury, etc.) this year, so Cal deserves some credit for that. Finally, I will add that Billy Gillispie should only be mentioned ONCE in this thread. I've never seen a team, on any level, struggle to inbounds the ball like Billy Clyde's teams. I was definitely guessing on my top 10. I based on your success, size of school and how you do against better teams. But yeah, I guessed like I assumed most people in this thread would be doing with their own rating system.
March 24, 201115 yr I was definitely guessing on my top 10. I based on your success, size of school and how you do against better teams. But yeah, I guessed like I assumed most people in this thread would be doing with their own rating system. Right. My point was that people in this thread are doing exactly what you did - find a successful school who you think has lesser talent, and name the coach.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.