January 19, 201115 yr He has no business playing. He is a low caliber OVC guy that I really feel gives effort but is just unable to perform. He's a low caliber DII player. Agreed on both. My dad said last night Vargas was the "worst big man at a time when the program was good" in school history. Obviously he still considers Mike Scott the worst big man of all time. But I think he had a pretty good point. With all of the talent Kentucky has had the last couple years, it's almost unfathomable that a player as poor as Vargas not only is on the team, but almost has to play some to provide depth and fouls.
January 19, 201115 yr Reminded me a lot of the UT game last season in Knoxville. I think UK got down by 17 or 18 in the game before getting back in to like they did last night. Put forth just enough fight to keep me awake throughout :lol: 6 deep with some gaping holes.
January 19, 201115 yr They are 18 year old kids . Did you feel that way after the Auburn game ?:idunno: Yes. I've disliked Jones pretty much all year. Coach Cal is 100% right. Jones cares about nothing other than getting his. Winning and losing are irrelevant to him.
January 19, 201115 yr Yes. I've disliked Jones pretty much all year. Coach Cal is 100% right. Jones cares about nothing other than getting his. Winning and losing are irrelevant to him. I think he cares about winning but it's pretty clear what his #1 priority is. I don't want to go as far as to say I dislike Jones just yet, but I definitely am not a fan. Like I posted last night, I've thought since about the 2nd or 3rd game that he just shoots way too much and needs to start getting the rest of the team involved more.
January 19, 201115 yr I think he cares about winning but it's pretty clear what his #1 priority is. I don't want to go as far as to say I dislike Jones just yet, but I definitely am not a fan. Like I posted last night, I've thought since about the 2nd or 3rd game that he just shoots way too much and needs to start getting the rest of the team involved more. It is not that he takes a multitude of shots, but it just seems very few of them come within the flow of the game. I think he is just young, immature, and does not get it yet. Bad news for this team is that the switch may not come on until he is wearing an NBA jersey.
January 19, 201115 yr He doesn't take a multitude of shots? He's only had one game this year where he didn't have double digit shot attempts and that was against Penn when he only played 25 minutes.
January 19, 201115 yr They are 18 year old kids . Did you feel that way after the Auburn game ?:idunno: I won't go so far as to say Jones is my least favorite player ever, but there's no denying that he plays very selfish at times. This is both aggravating & puzzling, as passing is one of Jones' greatest strengths. There are a lot of differences between Jones & Cousins, but the one glaring similarity is immaturity. Cuz got away with it because of his playfulness, outgoing personality, & willingness to give the ball up. Jones has none of those three things right now.
January 19, 201115 yr I know hindsight is 20-20 but I would have liked to see Miller get the ball with the chance to win it. Instead Knight and Lamb,freshmen, fumble the ball away along with any shot at winning. Miller had played better this game and was hitting shots. Cal wants him to step up that would have been a good time to show faith in him. Bottom line is as bad as they played, missing as many free throws as they did, lost this game.
January 19, 201115 yr Lot of good points. The only thing I would disagree with is your overall assessment with Calipari (as much as I hate to admit it). He just had an off night. Still would take him 100 times out of 100 over Pitino in that situation, or any other. I think they could get to the Elite 8 with the right draw. Ultimately, what Wildcat fans should be most concerned about is the fact that a crummy 'Bama team was trying every which way it could to gag this one away, but UK relaxed its chokehold just enough to blow it. How many more times will they get gifts like that? Well said.
January 19, 201115 yr He doesn't take a multitude of shots? He's only had one game this year where he didn't have double digit shot attempts and that was against Penn when he only played 25 minutes. I was not saying he does not take a lot of shots. My issue is more that they do not come within the flow of the game. I think Cal expects him to be the primary go to go, so his numbers should be higher than the rest. But if they are terrible attempts, it does not matter. Hoisting up NBA range three pointers are terrible attempts. Mid-range on in within the flow of the offense he should be expected to take more shots.
January 19, 201115 yr I know hindsight is 20-20 but I would have liked to see Miller get the ball with the chance to win it. Instead Knight and Lamb,freshmen, fumble the ball away along with any shot at winning. Miller had played better this game and was hitting shots. Cal wants him to step up that would have been a good time to show faith in him. Bottom line is as bad as they played, missing as many free throws as they did, lost this game. I thought the same thing at the time, but with only 10 seconds left, I doubt that gives Miller much time to work. He can get to the basket and find a high percentage shot as well as anyone, but it takes him longer to do so. And then, once he gets to the basket, Miller relies a lot on pump fakes and pivots. I didn't mind the Knight/Lamb combo, but I thought a hand-off was ill-advised. Anybody who watches UK knows we utilize that move quite often.
January 19, 201115 yr Yes. I've disliked Jones pretty much all year. Coach Cal is 100% right. Jones cares about nothing other than getting his. Winning and losing are irrelevant to him. And are we surprised by this? As long as "one and dones" are recruited and given scholarships, this will always be the case.
January 19, 201115 yr I thought the same thing at the time, but with only 10 seconds left, I doubt that gives Miller much time to work. He can get to the basket and find a high percentage shot as well as anyone, but it takes him longer to do so. And then, once he gets to the basket, Miller relies a lot on pump fakes and pivots. I didn't mind the Knight/Lamb combo, but I thought a hand-off was ill-advised. Anybody who watches UK knows we utilize that move quite often. I know what you are saying. I would have liked to see him get the ball on the inbounds. He could beat his man on the dribble and either get to the lane for a floater he likes or if they collapse on him kick it out to the open shooter.
January 19, 201115 yr And are we surprised by this? As long as "one and dones" are recruited and given scholarships, this will always be the case. Very true and I believe that if this continues, Cal should begin avoiding them more than what he has.
January 19, 201115 yr And are we surprised by this? As long as "one and dones" are recruited and given scholarships, this will always be the case. You are not going to convince me these kids do not want to compete and win. Wall, Cousins, etc. they all know the deal, but they are not out there just to get their own and go home.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.