Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kanter Permanently Ineligible

Featured Replies

  • Author
Thanks. So the WVU kid never got a dime & still had to sit 20 games last year? That's ridiculous, if so.

 

Yup. UC lost a player from Poland for a year because the coach of his team also played. He was never paid to play, but since he was paid to coach it cost the unused 16 year old on the bench a full season...

  • Replies 134
  • Views 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
I think the Ohio State guys, in light of Josh Selby's ruling, received far too great a suspension (and I hate Ohio State, just for the record). Selby gets $5,700 while Pryor gets $2,500. Selby misses roughly 1/3 of his season while Pryor misses 1/2 of his (assuming he comes back to play it). That is not consistent.

 

Apples and anchovies, and no one hates tOSU more than me. Pryor and crew were in college and well versed by compliance on the rules they broke. Selby was a HS kid sucked in by a street agent. Just too far different to compare...

Everybody knows I'm not a UK guy first by any means, but I believe the NCAA got this one wrong. Take a guess at all the reasons why they ruled the way they did, but I just think they missed this one...

Apples and anchovies, and no one hates tOSU more than me. Pryor and crew were in college and well versed by compliance on the rules they broke. Selby was a HS kid sucked in by a street agent. Just too far different to compare...

 

Point taken, so let's try again...

 

Maggette/Rose/Bush situations?

Yup. UC lost a player from Poland for a year because the coach of his team also played. He was never paid to play, but since he was paid to coach it cost the unused 16 year old on the bench a full season...

 

Who was the player & how long ago?

  • Author
Point taken, so let's try again...

 

Maggette/Rose/Bush situations?

 

I don't know a ton about Maggette since it was a little before me getting into the business. Rose was centered around a fraudulent test score. His brother riding the team plane was just piling on to the heart of the matter. Bush got PAID and USC got hammered.

 

The breaking point seems to be 10K, but even that isn't written in stone anywhere. Once over 10K they consider it a "pro" situation. Kanter was well over that at 33K...

  • Author
Who was the player & how long ago?

 

Adam Hrycaniuk. Sat out the 06-07 season after a JUCO transfer and played 07-08 as a SR...

Breaking news--Enes Kanter announced this evening he will be transferring from the University of Kentucky to either Duke or Kansas!! An NCAA spokesman said after reconsidering the situation, "the money he received was actually meant for his education" so he is expected to be ruled eligible!!

 

He will be even more loved in KY if he goes to Duke; funny stuff.

  • Author

I know the basics of the Maggette stuff, but I wasn't around those situations quite like I have been the more recent cases. Just a different level of info that I'm much more comfortable commenting on now...

In retrospect, I think Kanter/UK's biggest defense is the one Jay Bilas (I believe) mentioned, and that is the whole "intent" defense. While I understand $33 is excessive, what is the intent? If the 1/3 of that really is sitting in a bank and it's always remained untouched, and if the family is indeed willing to pay back the excessive amount in full, what's the harm in deeming him ineligible? And besides, it's hard to imagine anyone being a "professional" making $16,500 annually. Seems if Kanter wanted to be a tried and true pro, he could have made a lot more money.

 

Just my thoughts.

Mike DeCourcy on the Ruling

 

"Sources have also indicated that the Kanter family and their attorney are compiling information regarding whether it would be appropriate or fruitful to file a lawsuit seeking an injunction for immediate eligibility for Kanter to compete in NCAA basketball."

Disappointed and time to move on, but it was worth a shot.

A few things I would like to know:

- Why was Kanter and UK not allowed to use case precedent? I do believe this is a basis for a lawsuit for the Kanter's, because it seems like an arbitrary and capricious application of NCAA rulings.

- What is deemed as an excessive amount. The bylaw says 1K plus.

- Look up the Andrew Oliver case against the NCAA...does it apply in regards to Kanter?

- Why was intent not deemed worthy in the defense?

 

I thought that Barnhart's comments regarding the ruling were pretty ballsy. He stayed professional, but he went to the edge in my opinion as did Lee Todd.

So let me get this straight. You have to be paid a certain amount to be considered a professional? Are you kidding me? Selby blatantly broke the rules and now Kansas is repaying the money. If anyone thinks for 1 second that Newton did get paid they are ignorant. The Ohio State decision was based on money. It's the only logical explaination. The NCAA has made a mockery of itself over the past 2 months.

 

I would suggest that all the schools combine together and leave but I don't think they could get Auburn, Ohio St.*, and Kansas to leave. They make their own rules.

 

BTW, how gutless was it to issue the ruling at 5 pm on a Friday? The NCAA is an absolute joke.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.