Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

QB Play in Northern KY

Featured Replies

I know I'll get a ton of flack from the Ryle fans but I just don't see Hempel as a D1 QB. My sample size is small but I just don't see it. With that being said, he's an athlete and has size so anything is possible but I've never been overly impressed with him as a passer.

 

I love the way the kid plays the game. I think he is an exceptional athlete, but I also think that he is a stretch as a D1 QB. I am sure part of it is the offense that is run at Ryle, but he struggles with accuracy. He's got the arm strength no question and definitely the moxy, but what I have seen so far leaves me thinking that safety might be a better future position for the young man. The colleges may see the potential, and under the right system he may blossom into an outstanding college qb. However, right now I think he would make a better Safety at the next level.

 

Guys, you're more than welcome to your opinion. That's what's so great about BGP.

 

But you're wrong. :D

 

He IS a D1 QB. He already has multiple offers to play QB at D1 schools. You may think he is better suited for safety, but these D1 coaches seem to think he is more than capable of playing QB at the D1 level. And before it's all said and done, he is very likely to have several other offers from which to choose.

 

Keep something in mind. Stats mean nothing to these D1 schools. Kids like Hempel have gone through a very thorough vetting process by the schools through the numerous camps and combines he's attended and his visits to the schools. They've seen what they need to see and know what they need to know about him. It doesn't matter if he throws for 3000 yards or 300 yards this year. It doesn't matter if he occasionally looks inaccurate on a few throws (as do ALL QB's) for an offense that doesn't throw all that regularly. The right people have decided he is a D1 caliber QB. KYVince - your comment that I bolded is dead on.

  • Replies 90
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you notice they have Lawrence listed as a cornerback on that site?

 

I would rather see him play WR or RB.

His future is in baseball. I don't think that he is fast enough to play safety at a high level. He could in D-III. If he plays football in college it will be as a QB, but I don't see him being a DI QB.

 

He might play both. He has this opportunity at several of the schools he's talked to. But it's more likely at this point he'll end up playing football in college before baseball. And it'll be as a QB. That's how he's being recruited and offered. Yes, colleges can change their mind and decide to play you somewhere else. But that's not what he's being told at the moment.

Edited by cooperstown

Guys, you're more than welcome to your opinion. That's what's so great about BGP.

 

But you're wrong. :D

 

He IS a D1 QB. He already has multiple offers to play QB at D1 schools. You may think he is better suited for safety, but these D1 coaches seem to think he is more than capable of playing QB at the D1 level. And before it's all said and done, he is very likely to have several other offers from which to choose.

 

Keep something in mind. Stats mean nothing to these D1 schools. Kids like Hempel have gone through a very thorough vetting process by the schools through the numerous camps and combines he's attended and his visits to the schools. They've seen what they need to see and know what they need to know about him. It doesn't matter if he throws for 3000 yards or 300 yards this year. It doesn't matter if he occasionally looks inaccurate on a few throws (as do ALL QB's) for an offense that doesn't throw all that regularly. The right people have decided he is a D1 caliber QB. KYVince - your comment that I bolded is dead on.

 

I completely and strongly disagree with this statement. For you to say stats don't matter is simply a false statement. This is the measurement that is used to look at one's performance on the field where it counts. If you look at every D1 QB that currently plays football, you can bet that they had some serious stats at the high school level. I am not even sure Hemple's OC believes he is a D1 QB. Stats do matter. I agree with some others here who believe he will be a baseball player which is his best sport.

No Highlands homer here Coop but I have to disagree with you on your assessment of Towles and Hempel being similar QB's.

 

First off, Towles is 2-3 inches taller and probably 35-45 lbs heavier than Hempel.

 

Decision making/Experience going to Hempel? If you're referring to class/age in terms of experience, I agree. Decision making? No. Towles came on the scene in a nationally televised game against GCL power St. Xavier and did nothing but keep the Birds offense rolling past the Bombers and to the class 5A state championship. You don't get more experience than playing in the state championship.

 

Towles also doesn't hold the ball as long as Hempel which leads to less sacks and he isn't afraid to run the ball.

 

By far the better QB? Not right now, but by the time these two meet in 6 weeks and this time next year, it won't even be a question.

 

Towles is a high major prospect whereas Hempel is a small FCS type QB. And there's nothing wrong with that. Towles is simply that good.

 

I ask you this...would Ryle have a better record with Hempel or Towles running the show?

 

I already noted that Towles has size on Hempel.

 

Hempel has far more game-playing experience and I think he's a better decision maker. Some of the throws that Towles choose to make in the Ryle game earlier this year are indicative of this. They are throws he won't make as he gets more experience. Yes, he got some nice experience last year, primarily handing the ball off to his RB's. Hempel got experience when he QB'ed entire seasons as a sophomore and junior.

 

Hempel doesn't hold on to the ball any longer than Towles. Towles has better pass protection, which makes it seem like he's holding onto the ball less because he's not forced out of the pocket so much.

 

You were the one who stated in an earlier post that Towles is a far better QB than Hempel. I simply disagreed with that and don't see anything there to back that up yet. YOU may have decided that Towles is a "high major" player, but we'll have to wait and see for that. I hope he is. I don't root against the kid. But Hempel already has some offers on his plate. Somebody sees something legitimate about this kid playing QB at the college level.

 

Pure speculation on whether Ryle's record would be better. I'll stick with Hempel.

I completely and strongly disagree with this statement. For you to say stats don't matter is simply a false statement. This is the measurement that is used to look at one's performance on the field where it counts. If you look at every D1 QB that currently plays football, you can bet that they had some serious stats at the high school level. I am not even sure Hemple's OC believes he is a D1 QB. Stats do matter. I agree with some others here who believe he will be a baseball player which is his best sport.

 

Good. We disagree. Hempel has already been told point blank by these schools they couldn't care less what his stats are this year. Take a look at Andrew Hendrix' numbers at Moeller the past years. This is a kid who will very likely end up as starting QB at Notre Dame one day. He was, at best, middle of the road when you compare his stats to other QB's in Cincinnati last year. D1 coaches see what they need to see at camps, combines, and visits, not whether you put up huge passing numbers against some vastly inferior opponents. Stats are far more a function of the program you are in, the offensive system you run, the players around you, and the opposition you play. They hardly tell the whole story.

 

It doesn't matter who on here beleives Hempel is a D1 QB. The schools recruiting him do. But I'm sure you know better....

This is his Sr. campaign technically!!

Good. We disagree. Hempel has already been told point blank by these schools they couldn't care less what his stats are this year. Take a look at Andrew Hendrix' numbers at Moeller the past years. This is a kid who will very likely end up as starting QB at Notre Dame one day. He was, at best, middle of the road when you compare his stats to other QB's in Cincinnati last year. D1 coaches see what they need to see at camps, combines, and visits, not whether you put up huge passing numbers against some vastly inferior opponents. Stats are far more a function of the program you are in, the offensive system you run, the players around you, and the opposition you play. They hardly tell the whole story.

 

It doesn't matter who on here beleives Hempel is a D1 QB. The schools recruiting him do. But I'm sure you know better....

 

Not a chance..

I think Hempel will play baseball in college..JMO
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I won't join in on this debate between Hempel and Towles (as they are both very fine QBs and I'd be happy with either one as the QB of my team not only for their physical abilities but because of their leadership qualities and their character) other than to point out that I too think that stats are meaningless to college recruiters and to point out that if Hempel played for pass happy teams like Conner or Campbell County or even a more balanced team like Highlands that loves to throw the ball deep, Hempel's passing stats would be crazy high.

Not a chance..

 

We'll see. The kid is a tremendous athlete who QB'ed in the #1 rated high school conference in the country.

 

The point is that stats tell very little of the overall story for D1-recruited kids. D1 schools take their time in looking at these kids first hand. They don't care that you can throw for 300 yards agaisnt some smaller, weaker school.

 

Enough said on Hempel (at least by me). There are indeed D1 schools out there that beleive he can play QB for them. He is also such a great athlete he could play baseball at a lot of schools. He is as humble, polite, and high character a kid as you will find anywhere. He's the type of kid you like to root for. (I am not implying in the slightest that any of the other QB's mentioned in this thread do not fit this description. I just don't know them personally).

I won't join in on this debate between Hempel and Towles (as they are both very fine QBs and I'd be happy with either one as the QB of my team not only for their physical abilities but because of their leadership qualities and their character) other than to point out that I too think that stats are meaningless to college recruiters and to point out that if Hempel played for pass happy teams like Conner or Campbell County or even a more balanced team like Highlands that loves to throw the ball deep, Hempel's passing stats would be crazy high.

 

OK, this will be my last post in this thread. :lol:

 

Dead on accurate from beginning to end. :thumb:

We'll see. The kid is a tremendous athlete who QB'ed in the #1 rated high school conference in the country.

 

The point is that stats tell very little of the overall story for D1-recruited kids. D1 schools take their time in looking at these kids first hand. They don't care that you can throw for 300 yards agaisnt some smaller, weaker school.

 

Enough said on Hempel (at least by me). There are indeed D1 schools out there that beleive he can play QB for them. He is also such a great athlete he could play baseball at a lot of schools. He is as humble, polite, and high character a kid as you will find anywhere. He's the type of kid you like to root for. (I am not implying in the slightest that any of the other QB's mentioned in this thread do not fit this description. I just don't know them personally).

 

I know for a fact that no one on this board questioned anything bolded. Everyone knows that Conner is a great kid, great student and great athlete. By disagreeing with you on talent assessment regarding his D1 capability is in NO way questioning the young man's character or talent. I am not sure why you brought this up. Seem a bit defensive to me. I hope the young man gets everything he wants out of life and gets an education paid for by either athletic talent or academic talent or a mixture of both. I wish nothing but the best for Conner and every kid that has worked as hard as all of these high school athletes.

Just to pile on a little on the value of passing stats, Pike had 18 offers from big name D1 schools before he even started a varsity game at QB. That was due to hitting a lot of camps. The coaches saw enough there to know he has talent. Camps are probably more important than games when it comes to D1 recruiting. I am sure Hempel hit some camps and built interest that way as well. That being said, I am still surprised at Hempel's game stats and I think Ryle needs to fix that, especially when you have a QB who has talent.

As to the stats debate , young Hempel has picked up offers without having many big stats to put up. IMO the summer camps are where teams decide. They get to watch you make college throws, get to know you, see your athletic ability, and measure your intangibles. If stats were the determining factor Zeke would not have had any offers before his season even started.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.