2010 Class 3A Preseason Rankings

Birdsfan

Each year, BluegrassPreps.com compiles a comprehensive ranking of every team in each of the six football classes. Below are this year's preseason rankings for Class 3A:

1. Central

2. Mason County

3. Paducah Tilghman

4. Belfry

5. Estill County

6. Russellville

7. Union County

8. Sheldon Clark

9. Somerset

10. Pike County Central

11. Elizabethtown

12. Breathitt County

13. Henry County

14. Russell

15. Spencer County

16. Wayne County

17. Fleming County

18. Edmonson County

19. North Oldham

20. Western Hills

21. Casey County

22. Garrard County

23. Shawnee

24. Moore

25. West Carter

26. McLean County

27. Taylor County

28. Powell County

29. Adair County

30. Butler County

31. Hart County

32. East Ridge

33. Magoffin County

34. Lewis County

35. Jackson County

36. Webster County

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somerset graduated 16 seniors and their entire starting offensive line, per the BGP Preview

They also return 8/11 starters on a defense that only allowed 14.3 points per game last season. Also they bring back their quarterback, and receivers that accounted for 74% of their receiving yards last season. In addition, Derrick Jackson, who led the team in rushing as a sophomore returns from a knee injury as a senior. The games aren't played on message boards so we'll see how things turn out but I too think Somerset deserved better than a #9 ranking. No way Estill County should be ranked ahead of Somerset preseason after the beating the Jumpers put on the Engineers in the playoffs.

I agree with AvgJoe, though I am not sure Somerset will be back in the finals they are better than No. 9. The thing about the BJ's is they re-load every year. I believe their middle school program last year won the state title. If not this year they will challenge for the state the next three to four years every year. No.9 shows a lack of respect to this team in my opinion. They are at least Top 5. Maybe they will use this as motivation. Good luck to them.

Somerset is ranked a little low considering the were State runner up last season and return alot of kids from that team.

I know it was only one game, but I think much of that state probably has a bad taste about Somerset in their mouth after that absolute egg they laid in Bowling Green last December. Mix in the loss of 16 seniors and perhaps some on BGP just don't quite trust the Jumpers. I happen to think they could be at least a state semifinalist again, but we'll have to see.

I hate to say it, but Mason County is overrated at #2. The loss of 3 starting linemen and 2 WR/DBs will be felt, especially early in the year.

Coach B is on record as saying that the Ashland scrimmage did what the coaching staff hadn't been able to do. Get the players' attention.

Wow!!! Jumpers #9?? The only question to start the season for Somerset is the offensive line. Basically the rest of the starters on offense and defense are back from last season. Somerset is easily in the top 5 preseason. But, it's only a poll and the only ranking that matters is the one at the end of the season.

Wow.:eek:

I think that some of the top ranked teams were ranked more on the name on the jersey and not the players wearing them IMO.

Not saying there is anything wrong with taking tradition into consideration, just think some normal big name teams have come back to the pack recently.

The top 4 didn't exactly play patsies, though. And on the surface, doesn't look like they played that bad, either.

Seneca 47 Central 32

Danville 21 Mason County 14

Hoptown 31 Tilghman 20

Prestonburg 21 Belfry 6

Also:

Franklin-Simpson 42 #6 Russellville 7

I think the top 4 represented themselves OK (on the surface). Russellville seems to be the only one of the top 6 to get truly hammered.