"Mythical" KY prep football champions

jbwill2

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bardstown claims a mythical state championship from 1941 under coach Tom "Big Daddy" Ellis, who later coached at Holmes.

Link

Included in his accomplishments is a mythical state football championship in 1941. It was a special team in that it was undefeated, untied, and did not give up a single point all season outscoring its opponents by 285 – 0.

Henry,

Who established that Highlands and Ashland were the 'finalists' for top team in 1943? Male finished 9-0, with wins over St X, Manual, Danville, Mayfield. They outscored their opponents 349-19.

What was Highlands' record in 1943?

Henry,

Who established that Highlands and Ashland were the 'finalists' for top team in 1943? Male finished 9-0, with wins over St X, Manual, Danville, Mayfield. They outscored their opponents 349-19.

Record, schmecord! Henry has a patch! :p

Henry,

I suspect they met in the annual North-South Bowl that year. The North-South Bowl was seen as an unofficial state championship at that time.

I suspect they met in the annual North-South Bowl that year. The North-South Bowl was seen as an unofficial state championship at that time.

Wasn't that game called the Rotary Bowl or something like that? I recall mention of it as a Thanksgiving Dau bowl game that attempted to pair up top teams as a sort of championship game. Only problem was that most of the state's best teams already had longstanding engagements on that day with traditional rivals. So, the Rotary Bowl took the best two teams it could get (sort of like the NIT).

Wasn't that game called the Rotary Bowl or something like that? I recall mention of it as a Thanksgiving Dau bowl game that attempted to pair up top teams as a sort of championship game. Only problem was that most of the state's best teams already had longstanding engagements on that day with traditional rivals. So, the Rotary Bowl took the best two teams it could get (sort of like the NIT).
The first year of the Rotary Bowl was 1957. The North-South Bowl invited the two teams that they felt were the best in the state. It was an honor, and I doubt a team would have missed the chance, if it were given.

Henry,

Well, it was waaaaaay before my time, but from what I understand Ashland was deemed the number one team in the State. Male may have had an undefeated season, but as we all know that doesn't make you the best team in the state. As for the other teams on Males schedule that year, I couldn't tell you if they were considered the powerhouses that they are now.

AND I have a patch that says Highlands Kentucky State Champs 1943!:D:banana: