"Mythical" KY prep football champions

jbwill2

Well, it was waaaaaay before my time, but from what I understand Ashland was deemed the number one team in the State. Male may have had an undefeated season, but as we all know that doesn't make you the best team in the state. As for the other teams on Males schedule that year, I couldn't tell you if they were considered the powerhouses that they are now.

AND I have a patch that says Highlands Kentucky State Champs 1943!:D:banana:

Well, I have a $3 bill, but that doesn't mean it's worth anything! :lol:

Since no one has mentioned it, Highlands had a loss in 1943 (to a Northern Ky team, I think). And Ashland had a tie with Manual, so I have a really hard time understanding how these two teams could have legitimately been considered 1-2 when there was a team with an unblemished record and impressive wins over Danville, St X, Mayfield, and teams from Tennessee, Illinois, and Indiana.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I have a $3 bill, but that doesn't mean it's worth anything! :lol:

Since no one has mentioned it, Highlands had a loss in 1943 (to a Northern Ky team, I think). And Ashland had a tie with Manual, so I have a really hard time understanding how these two teams could have legitimately been considered 1-2 when there was a team with an unblemished record and impressive wins over Danville, St X, Mayfield, and teams from Tennessee, Illinois, and Indiana.

Ever heard of Boise State?

Ever heard of Boise State?

Sure, but Male didn't play in a no-name conference. The schedule they played was more like the SEC.

Anybody know who Highlands played in 1943?

Sure, but Male didn't play in a no-name conference. The schedule they played was more like the SEC.

Anybody know who Highlands played in 1943?

Did Male play Ashland? Highlands played Cincy St. X. Highlands 14 vs. Cincy St. X 13. Played Holmes and won. Holmes was a powerhouse then as was Dayton Ky, which was the team that beat Highlands that year 14 to 13.

Yes, if it were those teams as they exist today. Things change over time, and those teams may have been completely different 67 years ago.

I think it's pretty cool that BGP football fans are so excited about KY high school football that they have a spirited debate over who was the rightful mythical champion in 1943!!!!

Keep in mind that there was more than one end-of-year poll/ranking list, and so I am sure there was often more than one mythical champion crowned. I have read that the Paducah Sun had such a ranking list, as did the Lexington Herald-Leader and something called the Mountain Poll (which was based in Eastern Kentucky)... and of course LIT.

Did Male play Ashland? Highlands played Cincy St. X. Highlands 14 vs. Cincy St. X 13. Played Holmes and won. Holmes was a powerhouse then as was Dayton Ky, which was the team that beat Highlands that year 14 to 13.

Male didn't play Ashland that year, but Manual did and tied the Tomcats. Riddle me this: If Dayton was a powerhouse back in the day and they beat Highlands, why wasn't Dayton in the North-South bowl instead of the Bluebirds?

Yes, if it were those teams as they exist today. Things change over time, and those teams may have been completely different 67 years ago.

Sure, Mayfield (3rd winningest program in the state 1919-2009), Danville (5th winningest program in the state 1924-2009), and St X (6th winningest program in the state 1917-2009) could have ALL had terrible years in 1943 (when Male drilled them 41-0, 46-0, and 19-0, respectively). I'm sure THAT explains how Highlands deserves the 1943 state championship with a loss. :lol:

Sure, Mayfield (3rd winningest program in the state 1919-2009), Danville (5th winningest program in the state 1924-2009), and St X (6th winningest program in the state 1917-2009) could have ALL had terrible years in 1943 (when Male drilled them 41-0, 46-0, and 19-0, respectively). I'm sure THAT explains how Highlands deserves the 1943 state championship with a loss.
Face it, you weren't there; you have no way of knowing what those teams were like in those days. Just because they won a large proportion of games "on average" over a huge amount of time, says nothing of what they were like in those early years, or especially, in one particular year. You'll just have to try to go on living with the knowledge that your team wasn't the champion...67 years ago. :lol:

Face it, you weren't there; you have no way of knowing what those teams were like in those days. Just because they won a large proportion of games "on average" over a huge amount of time, says nothing of what they were like in those early years, or especially, in one particular year. You'll just have to try to go on living with the knowledge that your team wasn't the champion...67 years ago. :lol:

Mr. Litkenhous said the Bulldogs were the best team in the state that year and no in-state (or out-of-state) team came close to proving him wrong, so that's good enough for me. By the way, over the years did anyone ever even take the time to write down the winners of the NIT bowl, I mean the North-South bowl? :lol:

Mr. Litkenhous said the Bulldogs were the best team in the state that year and no in-state (or out-of-state) team came close to proving him wrong, so that's good enough for me. By the way, over the years did anyone ever even take the time to write down the winners of the NIT bowl, I mean the North-South bowl? :lol:

Well H, which is more impressive, playing in and winning an actual posteason game (the North-South Championship) or being declared champion by a calculator (LIT)? Most BGP'ers have said in the past that it's what happens on the field that matters, and not what happens on paper! :p

I don't see what the problem is with accepting the fact that there can be more than one mythical champ! It's happened in college football on numerous occasions. Heck, it's still happening in KY prep football, even with title games being played! According to MaxPreps last year, Lou. St. X was the best team in KY, whereas according to USA Today it was Highlands... I suppose both can claim a mythical overall state football title!