Rand--Slide!! What does this say about the mood of the electorate??

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of it has to do with how negative Grayson got. Last night I was looking at a website Grayson created just to bash Paul. Grayson stopped talking about what he was going to do and went 100% negative. Even today he cried all day about how Paul was cheating and intimidating voters.

I voted for Rand Paul for one reason. He supports term limits. Enough of the career politicians.

However there are lots of current career politicians hat ran on a platform of term limits that conveniently change their mind once they are elected.

Paul's own father is a career politician.

However there are lots of current career politicians hat ran on a platform of term limits that conveniently change their mind once they are elected.

Paul's own father is a career politician.

That is another big issue you point out. There is zero accountability in politics. I could run on a platform that I will give every American a check for 20K, and then change my mind once I'm elected. These people need to make sure they make good on their campaign platforms.

I think this election is about anti-Washington. It isn't about McConnell. If McConnell would have endorsed Rand Paul, I think Paul would have still won big. It is more about the voters being upset with Washington and wanting change. This is a recurring theme in mid-term elections. The incumbent party usually loses ground in mid term elections and there is even more of an anti-incumbency/anti Washington feeling this year..

I think this election is about anti-Washington. It isn't about McConnell. If McConnell would have endorsed Rand Paul, I think Paul would have still won big. It is more about the voters being upset with Washington and wanting change. This is a recurring theme in mid-term elections. The incumbent party usually loses ground in mid term elections and there is even more of an anti-incumbency/anti Washington feeling this year..

I can agree with that except McConnell IS Washington. I think indirectly it is a big sign that he too is an endangered species list and is not immune. :thumb:

As I said a while ago in a different thread, Rand Paul ran a nice campaign and Grayson's was uninspiring. When all you have to say is that you are in office and vote for me to keep the senate seat in Northern Kentucky-that is very weak. Whomever ran the Grayson campaign did a poor job, and yes folks like the Chamber of Commerce and McConnell that stuck their neck out for him have whiplash today.

I'd like to think a lot of it is voters giving a big middle finger to Mitch McConnell.

Maybe but me being a Republican I chose Paul becasue Grayson was endorced by Dick Cheney. The # 1 crook in the Bush office.

As I said a while ago in a different thread, Rand Paul ran a nice campaign and Grayson's was uninspiring. When all you have to say is that you are in office and vote for me to keep the senate seat in Northern Kentucky-that is very weak. Whomever ran the Grayson campaign did a poor job, and yes folks like the Chamber of Commerce and McConnell that stuck their neck out for him have whiplash today.

I agree. Grayson's campaign never had a heart/theme that voters could rally around and could not find an issue that differentiated him from Paul.

I think this fall's race of Paul versus Conway is going to be very interesting. The eyes of the nation will be on that race. Interestingly, Conway may be able to turn the tables of discontent on Paul by painting him as being more Washington than Conway. He can say Paul will be another Republican from Kentucky who will not truly change things; that Paul's father is a long time Washington person; that Kentucky needs to send a Democrat to the Senate for a change; etc. I think Paul will need to continue to distance himself from McConnell and be careful about accepting support from anyone in the Republican establishment. I am not sure how much Paul should align himself with Palin. I think that worked well in a Republican primary but it will likely hurt more than help in the fall. Finally, Conway made an interesting comment last night - both he and Mongiardo received more votes than Paul last night.