Umpire question

1 - no ties

2 - if the ball was in play for Ball 3 and time was never called whilst they had the discussion about the intentional walk rules, shame on the ump. That said, the ball remains in play until killed. Once killed, it is not back in play until the home plate umpire puts it back in play (by pointing to the pitcher and saying "Play" or just pointing in many cases nowadays). Anything that happens while the ball is dead, is irrelevant.

If the ball is in play and the pitcher starts to deliver the pitch and stops, it is a balk. If the batter steps out of the box with the intent to cause the pitcher to balk, the ump should not reward this chicanery. If, however, the batter is merely out of the box and a pitch is thrown, there is no violation on the batter. IF he makes contact with the ball while out of the box (usually in the front, back or even stepping on the plate, but rarely away from the plate), he's OUT.

Sounds like rulebook may have controlled over reasonablenes. If I'm the base ump and my guy behind the dish has his mask off and is talking to a coach, I sure as heck am going to kill that play, not call a balk. (Particularly not at this level of Knothole).

Umpire has 42 outs to get in a full 7 inning game. There is no such thing as a tie to them, if it is that close they are banging them out, it's as simple as that. High school games last way to long already anyways. They used to be a 1 1/2 time limit on softball but baseball had no time limit, so they took off the softball time, which instead they should of made it stay an 1 1/2 and the baseball go to a 2 hour limit, that would of been a heck of a lot better for everyone.

as far as the second play, do over, the umps should of talked it over and one was watching the pitcher and the other was talking to the coach with mask off, they should of been able to take care of this and had a dead ball do over.