Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jim Hicks Named Grant County Head Coach

Featured Replies

Hicks is a sideline circus. Gripes every trip.

 

Great! Hopefully the officials will put him in his place. I don't see Utter or Plunkett being involved. West will probably stay as the Freshman coach.

  • Replies 54
  • Views 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know his overall record at Bath Co. and why he would leave Bath and come to Grant County?

2010: 13-11

 

2009: 20-7

 

2008: 20-5

Why would Plunkett or Utter not be involved? I think Coach Hicks would love to have both on staff. THey are both great men and coaches. Not sure how COach Utter feels though after not getting the job, but Plunkett has no reason not to coach and Coach Hicks has no reason not to want him.

Why would Plunkett or Utter not be involved? I think Coach Hicks would love to have both on staff. THey are both great men and coaches. Not sure how COach Utter feels though after not getting the job, but Plunkett has no reason not to coach and Coach Hicks has no reason not to want him.

 

I have heard that neither one of them are interested.

I have heard that neither one of them are interested.

 

Good for them.

 

How many schools have committee's now when looking for a new coach? How many schools have parents of current players on those committee's? I think that is a terrible idea. For the most part a parent wants what's best for their kid not what's best for the school and the program in the long run. They could be the same, but I doubt it always works that way.

Good for them.

 

How many schools have committee's now when looking for a new coach? How many schools have parents of current players on those committee's? I think that is a terrible idea. For the most part a parent wants what's best for their kid not what's best for the school and the program in the long run. They could be the same, but I doubt it always works that way.

 

A lot of schools have a parent rep on the search/hiring committee and I agree it is a bad idea. I am sure there are cases where it is good but many times it is just jockeying for their kids playing time.

Edited by gold sunrise
Rule 13

A lot of schools have a parent rep on the search/hiring committee and I agree it is a bad idea. I am sure there are cases where it is good but many times it is just jockeying for their kids playing time.

 

Then the wrong parent was appointed. Which means the problem is not with the fact a parent was appointed; the problem is with the parent who was appointed. There are many, many parents out there that are not so shallow as to only be concerned about their kids playing time. Geesh.

Edited by gold sunrise
Fixing quote

  • Author

I agree with SSC, However, I doubt Coach Hicks has his record that he has because he played the kids whose parents voted for him.

 

I wish parents were not on the committee because now on one side he only got the job because some parents wanted their kids to play more, on the other side, a kid is only playing because their parent was on the committee.

 

In the end, It was Hibbet's (sp?) choice.

 

He could of vetoed the choice. He chose not to. I guess he felt it was the best choice.

Jim Hicks from where?

 

I believe originally from Harlan.

Coached one year at Owsley County.

Coached 2 or 3 years at Green Up County.

Coached 2-4 years at Bath County.

Now at Grant.

 

 

 

 

I am not positive about the years so I put # to # just because I didn't want to be wrong. :cool:

 

He is an offensive coach for sure at both Owsley and Green Up but I have heard that his defensive coaching has picked up since in Bath and he has done well.:popcorn:

He was also at Scott County for a year or two as volunteer before he went to Owsley I believe.

Good for them.

 

How many schools have committee's now when looking for a new coach? How many schools have parents of current players on those committee's? I think that is a terrible idea. For the most part a parent wants what's best for their kid not what's best for the school and the program in the long run. They could be the same, but I doubt it always works that way.

 

Are you also saying that a parent can't volunteer or be appointed to a committee regardless if it's related to academics or athletics? If that be the case, the GC school system wouldn't exist. What about coaches that volunteer their time for elementary programs such as football and basketball? IMO, 90% of these coaches are parents. Just ask any of the coaches if their programs would survive without parents. I want whats best for my children and have no problem saying that...furthermore, I wouldn't want my child playing for a loser of a coach who listens to parents whispering in ears or slipping $$$ in someones pocket. "Leatherneck" couldn't have said it any better!! :D It all comes down to department heads picking the committee's and if they can't do their jobs, then they should be gone too!

True statement. He is fun to watch.:D

 

He has been the weekly recipient of the "Dick Fick" Award for many years in the 16th region.:thumb: He is worth the price of admission by himself!:thumb:

 

The former Morehead coach Dick Fick was a feature story almost weekly on ESPN for his antics.

  • Author
Are you also saying that a parent can't volunteer or be appointed to a committee regardless if it's related to academics or athletics? If that be the case, the GC school system wouldn't exist. What about coaches that volunteer their time for elementary programs such as football and basketball? IMO, 90% of these coaches are parents. Just ask any of the coaches if their programs would survive without parents. I want whats best for my children and have no problem saying that...furthermore, I wouldn't want my child playing for a loser of a coach who listens to parents whispering in ears or slipping $$$ in someones pocket. "Leatherneck" couldn't have said it any better!! :D It all comes down to department heads picking the committee's and if they can't do their jobs, then they should be gone too!

 

I think the AD and principal did a pretty good job of picking the committee!

 

I say its bad for parents to be on the committee because now those parents can and IMO will be targeted if there kid gets more playing time than another child of a jealous parent(s).

  • Author

Anyone know exactly how many Regional titles and or District Championships Hicks has???

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.