Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jim Hicks Named Grant County Head Coach

Featured Replies

0 Regionals in 16th, might have won a class-A while at Bath Co., not for sure.

  • Replies 54
  • Views 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know exactly how many Regional titles and or District Championships Hicks has???

 

According to kentucky.com, while at Bath Co., Coach Hicks won the districts in 08 & 09, his best regional finish, lost in semi's to Lewis Co. in 09.

Are you also saying that a parent can't volunteer or be appointed to a committee regardless if it's related to academics or athletics? If that be the case, the GC school system wouldn't exist. What about coaches that volunteer their time for elementary programs such as football and basketball? IMO, 90% of these coaches are parents. Just ask any of the coaches if their programs would survive without parents. I want whats best for my children and have no problem saying that...furthermore, I wouldn't want my child playing for a loser of a coach who listens to parents whispering in ears or slipping $$$ in someones pocket. "Leatherneck" couldn't have said it any better!! :D It all comes down to department heads picking the committee's and if they can't do their jobs, then they should be gone too!

 

 

Man did we take a big jump from me asking how many schools have current parents on committee's to playing for losers or paying off a coach? I didn't mean to strike a nerve. It's my opinion that most parents of current players want what's best for their kid in the short term. If that is different from what may be best for a school long term (it doesn't have to be by the way) my guess is some or even most parents may be blinded by the short term. It's why I asked questions rather than making general statements.

 

As an example nobody will answer my questions about what the new hire will teach or if there is a position open in what he teaches. I think for the sake of the school they may have been better off long term if they hired a qualified candidate that already currently works and lives in the county that also went to school there and probably isn't looking to move on anytime soon. From the looks of the new hire's track record he likes to leave after a few years. So for the short term (current parent of a player) this hire may be better. I will say that it could turn out to be better long term too. I just have my doubts.

My point was that most schools do not have parents in on interviews for teaching positions, if that is the case then I think they should not be in on coaching decisions either. Simply have the principal, assistant principal/s, and the AD make the choice for what is best for the school just as they do for academic positions.

Man did we take a big jump from me asking how many schools have current parents on committee's to playing for losers or paying off a coach? I didn't mean to strike a nerve. It's my opinion that most parents of current players want what's best for their kid in the short term. If that is different from what may be best for a school long term (it doesn't have to be by the way) my guess is some or even most parents may be blinded by the short term. It's why I asked questions rather than making general statements.

 

As an example nobody will answer my questions about what the new hire will teach or if there is a position open in what he teaches. I think for the sake of the school they may have been better off long term if they hired a qualified candidate that already currently works and lives in the county that also went to school there and probably isn't looking to move on anytime soon. From the looks of the new hire's track record he likes to leave after a few years. So for the short term (current parent of a player) this hire may be better. I will say that it could turn out to be better long term too. I just have my doubts.

 

SSC...there wasn't a nerve hit and you're just offering your opinion, which is why differences make this discussion board what it is. IMO, most parents that are involved with the GCHS program knows if their kid has talent or not. And yes, there are a few parents that will always be shallow minded when it comes to their kid! With regards to your questions; "What will he teach or is there a position open", I'm sure that the committee had to consider these same questions during the interview so there's got to be something available. Short/Long Term plans, according to a source, he isn't planning a short term stay at Grant, wanted to coach at a larger school. To address the current parent/player being better off with a short term coach, really doesn't matter if the truth be known - selected committee members should always look at the big picture! :D

SSC...there wasn't a nerve hit and you're just offering your opinion, which is why differences make this discussion board what it is. IMO, most parents that are involved with the GCHS program knows if their kid has talent or not. And yes, there are a few parents that will always be shallow minded when it comes to their kid! With regards to your questions; "What will he teach or is there a position open", I'm sure that the committee had to consider these same questions during the interview so there's got to be something available. Short/Long Term plans, according to a source, he isn't planning a short term stay at Grant, wanted to coach at a larger school. To address the current parent/player being better off with a short term coach, really doesn't matter if the truth be known - selected committee members should always look at the big picture! :D

 

I agree that they should look at the long term big picture. I just doubt that most parents look past the short term for their child. I really didn't know how many schools have current parents on the committee's. That's why I asked. I know if my kid was in the 6th grade I wouldn't want the parent of a current sophomore or junior on that committee. In fact if I were a parent I wouldn't want any parent on it unless all had some say. To think a parent wouldn't look out for their kid first and the rest second seems off.

 

Anyway good luck to the new hire. Hopefully for the committee's sake they aren't looking again in a few years. I doubt he would tell sources he's looking to leave in a few years for a bigger and better opportunity than Grant County right now though.

My point was that most schools do not have parents in on interviews for teaching positions, if that is the case then I think they should not be in on coaching decisions either. Simply have the principal, assistant principal/s, and the AD make the choice for what is best for the school just as they do for academic positions.

 

That seems to me like good logic.

 

I will say however that if it is common practice to have parents of current players on the coaching committee I understand why Grant Co. would do the same thing. I think it's not the best idea, but when in Rome.

Is there a day set for him to meet the players? The boys have been asking about him.

I hear he is coming up this weekend.

Jim "Bob" Hicks! Indeed related to Billy....Was a pretty good player for Evarts back in the day!

They should have brought Carl Wenderoth back. Hicks is a good dude but he didn't take Conner anywhere

Jim "Bob" Hicks! Indeed related to Billy....Was a pretty good player for Evarts back in the day!

 

I've know Jim Bob since he was 8 or 9. He's Billy's nephew. They all started out in Ages, Kentucky, like me. Ages is between Evarts and Harlan.

 

Jim Bob led Evarts to its last district title in 1988. He was a sophomore and hit the game-winning shot in the finals against Cumberland.

I think they could have made a hire with a little less baggage.

 

You get on here and criticize just about every coach. From Turley to Fraley to Jim Bob Hicks. You criticizing the hire makes me think he will do a good job.

You get on here and criticize just about every coach. From Turley to Fraley to Jim Bob Hicks. You criticizing the hire makes me think he will do a good job.

 

He might do ok but you have to admit he does have some baggage. Turley is a good coach but seems to always be looking for a better job. And Fraley underachieved with Knott Central...they got beat by a mediocre Butler team when they had the talent to be playing Shelby Valley on Saturday morning. Those are facts!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.