February 15, 201016 yr Where did he say that at? I read an interview with him a couple of weeks ago that he said he would return next year if certain players(Cousins,Bledsoe) would return and they had a real shot to win the NCAA title.
February 15, 201016 yr Coach Cal has certainly been a breath of fresh air for the Kentucky basketball program. The fans are having fun again, and the players are obviously greatly enjoying playing for and representing the state of Kentucky. For some of these kids to even mention the possibility of returning next season, speaks volumes as to the fun they are having this season.
February 15, 201016 yr Demarcus Cousins major weakness (besides the maturity issues) is his inability to jump. The big fella has no hops from a stationary position. When he has been able to run and jump filling a lane on a fast break, he has better ups. But, especially at the NBA level, a player playing the center position must be able to elevate in a small space. He will be playing night in night out against players taller and longer (not bigger) than he is, and he must greatly improve his jumping ability to succeed. Jumping is the only thing stopping Big Cuz from being the top pick in the draft.
February 15, 201016 yr Author Demarcus Cousins major weakness (besides the maturity issues) is his inability to jump. The big fella has no hops from a stationary position. When he has been able to run and jump filling a lane on a fast break, he has better ups. But, especially at the NBA level, a player playing the center position must be able to elevate in a small space. He will be playing night in night out against players taller and longer (not bigger) than he is, and he must greatly improve his jumping ability to succeed. Jumping is the only thing stopping Big Cuz from being the top pick in the draft. So very true. He has had shots blocked by much smaller opponents, especially earlier in the year.
February 15, 201016 yr Demarcus Cousins major weakness (besides the maturity issues) is his inability to jump. The big fella has no hops from a stationary position. When he has been able to run and jump filling a lane on a fast break, he has better ups. But, especially at the NBA level, a player playing the center position must be able to elevate in a small space. He will be playing night in night out against players taller and longer (not bigger) than he is, and he must greatly improve his jumping ability to succeed. Jumping is the only thing stopping Big Cuz from being the top pick in the draft. You're absolutely right. With that said, I think Cousins is going to develop a nice mid range game on the next level. He has proven that he's willing to shoot the jump shot (much to my & Coach Cal's chagrin). It will be the development of that jump shot that determines his success on the next level, IMO.
February 15, 201016 yr You're absolutely right. With that said, I think Cousins is going to develop a nice mid range game on the next level. He has proven that he's willing to shoot the jump shot (much to my & Coach Cal's chagrin). It will be the development of that jump shot that determines his success on the next level, IMO. I totally agree and see it the same as you. Big Cuz will spend less time on the blocks at the next level. He has a nice looking jump shot. His poor free throw shooting (63%) is surprising because his shooting mechanics are pretty good. He needs the mid-range shooting touch which he will need to greatly use on the next level.
February 15, 201016 yr I totally agree and see it the same as you. Big Cuz will spend less time on the blocks at the next level. He has a nice looking jump shot. His poor free throw shooting (63%) is surprising because his shooting mechanics are pretty good. He needs the mid-range shooting touch which he will need to greatly use on the next level. The free throws are 100% mental. Half of the time you can tell that he's going to miss the FT before he even attempts it due to his lack of focus. He has a good stroke.
February 15, 201016 yr I don't expect him to return, but I also thought Meeks would stay and Patterson would leave... So my track record isn't amazing.
February 15, 201016 yr Demarcus Cousins major weakness (besides the maturity issues) is his inability to jump. The big fella has no hops from a stationary position. When he has been able to run and jump filling a lane on a fast break, he has better ups. But, especially at the NBA level, a player playing the center position must be able to elevate in a small space. He will be playing night in night out against players taller and longer (not bigger) than he is, and he must greatly improve his jumping ability to succeed. Jumping is the only thing stopping Big Cuz from being the top pick in the draft. Not sure if I completely agree with the necessity for hops at the 5. You probably watch more NBA than I do but I picture many ground bound 5s. Dwight Howard would obviously be an exception. I'd say its more important to work on his post moves than his hops. A good jump hook can negate lack of hops. Good post moves can as well (see Kevin McHale). Secondly, for 5s that can hop they are often on the thin side. Positioning negates those hops. Cousins is still only 19 and his body is already thick. His added physical maturity is going to make it impossible for the thin jumper to keep him away from the basket. You can't block shots from underneath the rim.
February 15, 201016 yr Cousins should not stay. He will be a top 5 pick. Correct neither should Wall. You have someone offering you millions of dollars take it, tomorrow isn't guaranteed.
February 15, 201016 yr I'd be really surprised if Cousins stays. He's a top 5 pick right now. Another year would allow him to better prepare himself for the league, but that's true of any player. If you're a lock to go top 5, there's little benefit in staying as far as that goes. It would be great if he did stay though. With him back and hopefully Bledsoe, the Cats could be really good again.
February 15, 201016 yr Not sure if I completely agree with the necessity for hops at the 5. You probably watch more NBA than I do but I picture many ground bound 5s. Dwight Howard would obviously be an exception. I'd say its more important to work on his post moves than his hops. A good jump hook can negate lack of hops. Good post moves can as well (see Kevin McHale). Secondly, for 5s that can hop they are often on the thin side. Positioning negates those hops. Cousins is still only 19 and his body is already thick. His added physical maturity is going to make it impossible for the thin jumper to keep him away from the basket. You can't block shots from underneath the rim. I see your points "Clyde". Demarcus Cousins will struggle with his lack of hops at the next level due to the length of his opponents. He has the perfect NBA body already. In fact, he has at age 19, the body of a ten year NBA veteran. A huge plus. Must work on his elevation with the basketball. It will be interesting how he matches up with Tuesday night with Jarvis Varnado of Mississippi State. Varnado is listed at 6'9". He is very long and jumps well. Excellent timing. Demarcus Cousins will push him all over the floor physically, but I say he struggles to get a shot off in a one-on-one low post situation. I am looking for to watching this game within the game.
February 15, 201016 yr I see your points "Clyde". Demarcus Cousins will struggle with his lack of hops at the next level due to the length of his opponents. He has the perfect NBA body already. In fact, he has at age 19, the body of a ten year NBA veteran. A huge plus. Must work on his elevation with the basketball. It will be interesting how he matches up with Tuesday night with Jarvis Varnado of Mississippi State. Varnado is listed at 6'9". He is very long and jumps well. Excellent timing. Demarcus Cousins will push him all over the floor physically, but I say he struggles to get a shot off in a one-on-one low post situation. I am looking for to watching this game within the game. I too feel that Cousins doesn't have "hops." However I don't recall Wes Unseld or Moses Malone having great "hops" either. They just had a nose for the ball, good control of their own game, and could plant a behind on anyone and control them with it. :thumb: (Same could be said for O'Neal)
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.