January 11, 201016 yr I am curious as to what theory you have if you think Kentucky will beat Tennessee? Is it simply because Kentucky is more talented that Tennessee? Calipari is a better x's and o's coach than Pearl? Calipari motivates better than Pearl? Kentucky smoked Tennessee last year with less talent? The one that I see the most and that frustrates me the most is the last. I tried to debate it with the CatsPause loonies and they simply cannot understand, and it is quite frustrating. Their theory is that Kentucky will smoke Tennessee now because the 'Cats have more talent than we had last year, a better coach than we had last year, and because we beat them last year with less talent. How many of you fall into this same category? Calipari's knock (historically during his CUSA days) were that his x's and o's weren't on par with his recruiting and motivating abilities. However, during Gillispie's days at TAMU, most people labeled him (and some analyst still do) as a marvelous x's and o's guy. Calipari holds a 2-2 record against Bruce Pearl. Gillispie holds a 3-1 record against Bruce Pearl. The past two seasons, Calipari has had much better talent than Kentucky, but has managed to just go 1-1, each winning on their opponents floor. Gillispie lost to Tennessee his first season and then has rolled the Vols since. The point is, most Cat fans feel that Kentucky will roll Tennessee this year because "we're better in all aspects compared to last year." Some of it is true. Calipari may be the master motivator and recruiter, but when it comes to x's and o's, I have to give it to Gillispie. With that said, I do not think Gillispie is better overall. I think Calipari does a better job motivating his team on and off the court for his opponents, while Gillispie tends to have a better gameplan (that works most of the time - his method of motivating cost the Cats many games). Consequently, I feel like most Cat fans will be in for a huge shock whenever Kentucky plays Tennessee and we don't walk all over them. I would not be surprised if we lost both games against Tennessee. I feel like we'll win the home game, if not both, but would not be shocked if we didn't. So, do you feel that we'll stomp Tennessee simply because we did it last year with inferior talent?
January 12, 201016 yr I am curious as to what theory you have if you think Kentucky will beat Tennessee? Is it simply because Kentucky is more talented that Tennessee? Calipari is a better x's and o's coach than Pearl? Calipari motivates better than Pearl? Kentucky smoked Tennessee last year with less talent? The one that I see the most and that frustrates me the most is the last. I tried to debate it with the CatsPause loonies and they simply cannot understand, and it is quite frustrating. Their theory is that Kentucky will smoke Tennessee now because the 'Cats have more talent than we had last year, a better coach than we had last year, and because we beat them last year with less talent. How many of you fall into this same category? Calipari's knock (historically during his CUSA days) were that his x's and o's weren't on par with his recruiting and motivating abilities. However, during Gillispie's days at TAMU, most people labeled him (and some analyst still do) as a marvelous x's and o's guy. Calipari holds a 2-2 record against Bruce Pearl. Gillispie holds a 3-1 record against Bruce Pearl. The past two seasons, Calipari has had much better talent than Kentucky, but has managed to just go 1-1, each winning on their opponents floor. Gillispie lost to Tennessee his first season and then has rolled the Vols since. The point is, most Cat fans feel that Kentucky will roll Tennessee this year because "we're better in all aspects compared to last year." Some of it is true. Calipari may be the master motivator and recruiter, but when it comes to x's and o's, I have to give it to Gillispie. With that said, I do not think Gillispie is better overall. I think Calipari does a better job motivating his team on and off the court for his opponents, while Gillispie tends to have a better gameplan (that works most of the time - his method of motivating cost the Cats many games). Consequently, I feel like most Cat fans will be in for a huge shock whenever Kentucky plays Tennessee and we don't walk all over them. I would not be surprised if we lost both games against Tennessee. I feel like we'll win the home game, if not both, but would not be shocked if we didn't. So, do you feel that we'll stomp Tennessee simply because we did it last year with inferior talent? I would question Billy G being a better X and O guy than Calipari. I mean what did Billy G do to show that he is better? The only thing I will say maybe he was better at was out of bounds plays and free throw shooting. There is not much else you can use to say Billy G was a better X and O guy. Now as for Tennessee, that was a great win they had yesterday. However to think that they will keep playing at that level, with the players they have no is just kidding yourself. They played out of their mind yesterday, and probably the best game they will play all year. Yes Bruce Pearl has beaten Cal in the past, however Pearl also had very talented team. With all the players they have lost, they are no where near as talented as the teams that has beat Cal in the past. If you want to talk about X and O's Pearl is not the greatest at that either. You talk about us UK fans looking at last year, and assuming we would beat them. Well seems like you are looking at the past and how Pearl has done against Cal assuming they would do good again. Those teams he beat them with had ten times the amount of talent that he now has on this team since the suspensions. UK should probably win by double digits each time this year against UT.
January 12, 201016 yr I am curious as to what theory you have if you think Kentucky will beat Tennessee? Is it simply because Kentucky is more talented that Tennessee? Calipari is a better x's and o's coach than Pearl? Calipari motivates better than Pearl? Kentucky smoked Tennessee last year with less talent? The one that I see the most and that frustrates me the most is the last. I tried to debate it with the CatsPause loonies and they simply cannot understand, and it is quite frustrating. Their theory is that Kentucky will smoke Tennessee now because the 'Cats have more talent than we had last year, a better coach than we had last year, and because we beat them last year with less talent. How many of you fall into this same category? Calipari's knock (historically during his CUSA days) were that his x's and o's weren't on par with his recruiting and motivating abilities. However, during Gillispie's days at TAMU, most people labeled him (and some analyst still do) as a marvelous x's and o's guy. Calipari holds a 2-2 record against Bruce Pearl. Gillispie holds a 3-1 record against Bruce Pearl. The past two seasons, Calipari has had much better talent than Kentucky, but has managed to just go 1-1, each winning on their opponents floor. Gillispie lost to Tennessee his first season and then has rolled the Vols since. The point is, most Cat fans feel that Kentucky will roll Tennessee this year because "we're better in all aspects compared to last year." Some of it is true. Calipari may be the master motivator and recruiter, but when it comes to x's and o's, I have to give it to Gillispie. With that said, I do not think Gillispie is better overall. I think Calipari does a better job motivating his team on and off the court for his opponents, while Gillispie tends to have a better gameplan (that works most of the time - his method of motivating cost the Cats many games). Consequently, I feel like most Cat fans will be in for a huge shock whenever Kentucky plays Tennessee and we don't walk all over them. I would not be surprised if we lost both games against Tennessee. I feel like we'll win the home game, if not both, but would not be shocked if we didn't. So, do you feel that we'll stomp Tennessee simply because we did it last year with inferior talent? Don't give yourself a headache...90% of the time (maybe more), it's not much more than that...
January 12, 201016 yr Author I would question Billy G being a better X and O guy than Calipari. I mean what did Billy G do to show that he is better? The only thing I will say maybe he was better at was out of bounds plays and free throw shooting. There is not much else you can use to say Billy G was a better X and O guy. Now as for Tennessee, that was a great win they had yesterday. However to think that they will keep playing at that level, with the players they have no is just kidding yourself. They played out of their mind yesterday, and probably the best game they will play all year. Yes Bruce Pearl has beaten Cal in the past, however Pearl also had very talented team. With all the players they have lost, they are no where near as talented as the teams that has beat Cal in the past. If you want to talk about X and O's Pearl is not the greatest at that either. You talk about us UK fans looking at last year, and assuming we would beat them. Well seems like you are looking at the past and how Pearl has done against Cal assuming they would do good again. Those teams he beat them with had ten times the amount of talent that he now has on this team since the suspensions. UK should probably win by double digits each time this year against UT. Where is Calipari better at Gillispie in the x's and o's category? Gillispie was stubborn, I will say that. Consequently, I am not talking about post-attrition for Tennessee, but prior.
January 12, 201016 yr Where is Calipari better at Gillispie in the x's and o's category? Gillispie was stubborn, I will say that. Consequently, I am not talking about post-attrition for Tennessee, but prior. Don't you think the dribble drive offense is far superior to the high post feeding the low post stuff that Gillispie used all the time?
January 12, 201016 yr John Calipari has been to two NC games, and has had numerous deep runs in the tourney. Billy G has been to the tourney 4 times, only getting past the 2nd round once, and never past the Sweet 16. I'll take Cal's X's and O's over BCG's all day long.
January 12, 201016 yr UK is more talented, more athletic, faster.. That's why UK beats Tennessee twice this year.
January 12, 201016 yr Don't you think the dribble drive offense is far superior to the high post feeding the low post stuff that Gillispie used all the time? People act like Cal doesn't coach at all. I agree with what you said. Just because Cal's offense has alot of freedom, doesn't mean it's not good X's and O's. Spreading the floor, penetration, and moving without the ball all need good coaching. Also, he plays to his strengths, unlike BCG IMO. Players are put in situations where they can succeed, unlike having to put Porter at PG. :thumb:
January 12, 201016 yr I would question Billy G being a better X and O guy than Calipari. I mean what did Billy G do to show that he is better? The only thing I will say maybe he was better at was out of bounds plays and free throw shooting. There is not much else you can use to say Billy G was a better X and O guy. Now as for Tennessee, that was a great win they had yesterday. However to think that they will keep playing at that level, with the players they have no is just kidding yourself. They played out of their mind yesterday, and probably the best game they will play all year. Yes Bruce Pearl has beaten Cal in the past, however Pearl also had very talented team. With all the players they have lost, they are no where near as talented as the teams that has beat Cal in the past. If you want to talk about X and O's Pearl is not the greatest at that either. You talk about us UK fans looking at last year, and assuming we would beat them. Well seems like you are looking at the past and how Pearl has done against Cal assuming they would do good again. Those teams he beat them with had ten times the amount of talent that he now has on this team since the suspensions. UK should probably win by double digits each time this year against UT. X's and O's are overrated. Some coaches try to do too much. Basketball isn't that complicated of a sport.
January 12, 201016 yr John Calipari has been to two NC games, and has had numerous deep runs in the tourney. Billy G has been to the tourney 4 times, only getting past the 2nd round once, and never past the Sweet 16. I'll take Cal's X's and O's over BCG's all day long. Whatever Calipari is doing, I'll take it over what we had the past 10 years or so.
January 12, 201016 yr For all of UT's talent the previous two seasons (last year not as much), BCG's style worked great against UT. Remember the loss to UT was by only a point or so in Knoxville when UK was without Patterson and the Cats were left for dead. Coach Cal's teams historically have not matched up well with Pearl's teams. I believe Kentucky is the only team in the SEC Pearl has a losing record against.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.