Interesting playoff tidbits

This was information I did not know, but a coach friend of mine told me.

There are only 2 teams in the state who did not make the playoffs but finished at .500 or better

3A West Carter 5-5 0-4 in dist

5A North Laurel 5-5 1-4 in dist.

70 teams made the playoffs with a losing record.

The only district in the state that every team that made the playoffs had an overall winning record.

Class 5A, District 8 Overall District

(1)Letcher County Central 8 - 2 (4 - 1)

(2)Whitley County 6 - 4 (4 - 1)

(3)Harlan County 7 - 3 (4 - 1)

(4)Perry County Central 7 - 3 (2 – 3)

This district didn’t have one team with a winning record, but go to playoffs.

Class 2A, District 4 Overall District

(1)Bardstown 4 - 6 (2 - 1)

(2)Danville 4 - 6 (2 - 1)

(3)Washington County 3 - 7 (1 - 2)

(4)Fort Knox 3 - 7 (1 – 2)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are only 2 teams in the state who did not make the playoffs but finished at .500 or better

The only district in the state that every team that made the playoffs had an overall winning record.

Cooper and Campbell County both from NKY 6A did not make the playoffs.

I do think Larkey from NL should be coach of the year in his district, even without making the playoffs...

I would agree, he did a great job. But alas, the true measure is winning and his did not make the playoffs, I think a stronger aurguement could have been made had they made it.

I think next year they could be a force in the district but only time will tell.

Maybe the teams in 5AD8 were playing crummy non-district schedules? Bardstown and Danville are certainly playing good non-district schedules, mostly against much larger schools, which is what led to their losing records.

Maybe the teams in 5AD8 were playing crummy non-district schedules? Bardstown and Danville are certainly playing good non-district schedules, mostly against much larger schools, which is what led to their losing records.

I agree Jim Schue a lot of people don't realize the non district schedules these teams play.

Bell County

Pulaski County

Knox Central

Belfry

Lexington Catholic

Hazard

Scott County

Corbin

Breathitt County

Southwestern

Louisville Moore

Lynn Camp

Middlesboro

South Laurel

These are all the competitive teams that district 8 played, please re-phrase your statement because 5AD8 did not play a weak schedule.

They probably played the toughest schedule than other district in the state of Kentucky.

I agree Jim Schue a lot of people don't realize the non district schedules these teams play.

Besides Danville and some of Bardstowns opponents, that district didn't really play anyone, I mean Ft. Knox was on a 20 some game losing streak and Washington County has been down for years. Danville should be playing teams that are quality, they are the cream of the crop in their class, i don't think too many people would be arguing against Danville's schedule, although the AD's are way down this year regardless.

Reidland has not made the playoffs in 2A since the switch to six classes. They are the only 2A team to not make the playoffs.

Trigg County and Owensboro Catholic have met in the playoffs seven times in nine years. This year was the first time they met in the first round.

Bell County

Pulaski County

Knox Central

Belfry

Lexington Catholic

Hazard

Scott County

Corbin

Breathitt County

Southwestern

Louisville Moore

Lynn Camp

Middlesboro

South Laurel

These are all the competitive teams that district 8 played, please re-phrase your statement because 5AD8 did not play a weak schedule.

They probably played the toughest schedule than other district in the state of Kentucky.

You have listed some terrible teams above.

If you want to prove that the districts overall record is NOT a result of playing weak schedules tell us who their non-district wins came against. My guess there are alot of wins over teams like Lynn Camp, Moore, Middlesboro, and few or none over the Lex. Cath, Bell County, Scott County and Corbin.

Not to mention playing in a six (6) team district benefited their record as well since all four (4) of the teams could post wins over North Laurel and Clay County, neither of which was very good.

You have listed some terrible teams above.

If you want to prove that the districts overall record is NOT a result of playing weak schedules tell us who their non-district wins came against. My guess there are alot of wins over teams like Lynn Camp, Moore, Middlesboro, and few or none over the Lex. Cath, Bell County, Scott County and Corbin.

Not to mention playing in a six (6) team district benefited their record as well since all four (4) of the teams could post wins over North Laurel and Clay County, neither of which was very good.

Without checking, I am pretty sure that the district had wins against:

Pulaski County

Knox Central

Hazard

Breathitt County

Southwestern

Louisville Moore

Lynn Camp

Middlesboro

South Laurel

Nope they didn't have wins against Scott County, Lex Cath, Bell Co or Corbin but they are PLAYING those kinds of teams now. In years past, except for Corbin or Bell County (being in the area), teams from this area didn't play those schools that often.

And North Laurel, who I am guessing you haven't seen, was much improved this year with wins over Pulaski County (5A district 7 champ), Knox Central (still playing) & South Laurel (#4 seed from district 7). The only games where they were truly outplayed was Whitley County, and that was at Whitley in the 2nd half & Corbin when the Jags controlled the game for the vast majority of the 1st half, but turnovers killed them and Corbin, as good teams do, took advantage and put them away. Those are still losses, but the fact is that they are 3-4 plays away from being 8-2.

Edited by MountainThunder

Without checking, I am pretty sure that the district had wins against:

Pulaski County

Knox Central

Belfry

Hazard

Breathitt County

Southwestern

Louisville Moore

Lynn Camp

Middlesboro

South Laurel

Nope they didn't have wins against Scott County, Lex Cath, Bell Co or Corbin but they are PLAYING those kinds of teams now. In years past, except for Corbin or Bell County (being in the area), teams from this area didn't play those schools that often.

And North Laurel, who I am guessing you haven't seen, was much improved this year with wins over Pulaski County (5A district 7 champ), Knox Central (still playing) & South Laurel (#4 seed from district 7). The only games where they were truly outplayed was Whitley County, and that was at Whitley in the 2nd half & Corbin when the Jags controlled the game for the vast majority of the 1st half, but turnovers killed them and Corbin, as good teams do, took advantage and put them away. Those are still losses, but the fact is that they are 3-4 plays away from being 8-2.

Im pretty sure Belfry didnt lose to any of them in this district. FWIW, I believe Belfry beat two of the four.