Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Most anticipated player in UK history?

Most anticipated freshman @ UK 85 members have voted

  1. 1. Most anticipated freshman @ UK

    • John Wall
      68%
      58
    • Rex Chapman
      27%
      23
    • Ron Mercer
      4%
      4

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Which one of these three Uk players had the most hype coming into their freshman year?

  • Replies 40
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is lookings like it will be John Wall. The one other player that I myself was very excited about was Ron Mercer. He was a top 3 player coming out of high school where most rankings had him behind Kevin Garnett and Stephon Marbury. I was too young to remember, but I would imagine Rex Chapman would be way up there too.

  • Author
I think it is lookings like it will be John Wall. The one other player that I myself was very excited about was Ron Mercer. He was a top 3 player coming out of high school where most rankings had him behind Kevin Garnett and Stephon Marbury. I was too young to remember, but I would imagine Rex Chapmon would be way up there too.
I think Rex chapman was just because he was from KY and was rated as the top player in the country-with John Wall a close second.
Sam Bowie

Can you expand upon his hype? Not as old some of you guys on here :D

I'd go with Wall just because of the media hype and our ability to get the information in our current world. With increased coverage of all aspects of sports (games, recruiting, etc.) and our ability to get the information through sports channels, internet, magazines, etc., it creates a big difference between Wall and Chapman. Perhaps not as much with Mercer, but still, even then the coverage and such wasn't as prevalent as it is now, IMO.

I'd go with Wall just because of the media hype and our ability to get the information in our current world. With increased coverage of all aspects of sports (games, recruiting, etc.) and our ability to get the information through sports channels, internet, magazines, etc., it creates a big difference between Wall and Chapman. Perhaps not as much with Mercer, but still, even then the coverage and such wasn't as prevalent as it is now, IMO.

I agree for the same reasons. More access to info these days.

Can you expand upon his hype? Not as old some of you guys on here :D

Bowie was one of the most sought after recruits in the nation along with Ralph Sampson. There were some who thought both would end up at Kentucky. He was a McD's and Parade All-American in high school, averaged 28 points and 18 rebounds his senior season. Following the NIT letdown of 1978-79, he was supposed to be the savior.

I think another point to consider is the state of UK basketball upon their arrival...Wall arrives at a time when UK hoops is down, so the fans are starved for some big time basketball. The program was in better shape when the other two came into the fold.

  • Author

Rex Chapman had the nick name (King Rex)and would have had the chance to be the all time leading scorer at UK had he stayed all four years.:walk:

For us old timers Bowie would have to be pretty high on the list. Of the list given I'll have to go with Wall.

Bowie was one of the most sought after recruits in the nation along with Ralph Sampson. There were some who thought both would end up at Kentucky. He was a McD's and Parade All-American in high school, averaged 28 points and 18 rebounds his senior season. Following the NIT letdown of 1978-79, he was supposed to be the savior.

Sam Bowie was to be the savior.

 

The other anticipated player in that era was Dwight "The Blur" Anderson out of Roth High School in Dayton, Ohio.

 

Like John Wall, he was the concensus #1 player in his class....the Class of 1978.

Rod Rhodes was also highly sought after and anticipated, although things didn't work out exactly as planned. I thought Pitino gave this kid a raw deal.

Sam Bowie was to be the savior.

 

The other anticipated player in that era was Dwight "The Blur" Anderson out of Roth High School in Dayton, Ohio.

 

Like John Wall, he was the concensus #1 player in his class....the Class of 1978.

 

Right On.

 

Bowie was the "Player of the Year" Nationally if memory served. Sampson blossomed his Senior year in High School and really stood out at the all-star games.

 

I would say Bowie was just as big to UK fans then.

 

Anderson was also "Player of the Year" nationally out of Dayton and he was coming in right after the National Title.

 

Rod Rhoads was also National "Player of the Year" and started right out of the gate. He had something like 20+ points in his second game vs. Georgia Tech.

 

Chapman was a "Can't Miss" Homegrown guy but I don't think he was a National Player of the year. (Could be wrong though)

 

Ron Mercer was likewise a huge recruit. Mercer was great and started some early but did not blossom into what he would become until the Final Four IMO.

 

For my lifetime, I felt as giddy about Bowie, Rhodes, and Chapman as I am Wall. I hope Wall is able to deliver even more team wise than those three did. :thumb:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.