Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Forde finds another opportunity to hate on UK

Featured Replies

If you're talking all time, UNC will have more wins....most of UK's success was when black people couldn't play......I agree with Forde, I hate it, but UNC and UCLA are the top dogs.

 

I love that you always have to break out your pet excuse to downplay UKs history of success. Keep at it though if it makes you feel better.

 

Most wins and 2nd most titles. I'll take that any day. Especially if the next few years go as well as they could.

  • Replies 61
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did Forde write anything that wasn't true?

 

No. :thumb:

I love that you always have to break out your pet excuse to downplay UKs history of success. Keep at it though if it makes you feel better.

 

Most wins and 2nd most titles. I'll take that any day. Especially if the next few years go as well as they could.

 

How many titles have you SEEN? That's all that matters to me.

If you're talking all time, UNC will have more wins....most of UK's success was when black people couldn't play......I agree with Forde, I hate it, but UNC and UCLA are the top dogs.

 

I think we've had this conversation before. :ohbrother:

 

It's a half truth. While many blacks were kept from playing as prominent a role as they deserved do we say the same for the Celtics?

 

BTW, UK played vs. Solly Walker and St Johns in 1952. (twice)

 

Who do you think was on the Seattle team and Temple team (twice) that UK beat to claim the 1958 NCAA crown? (Probably because you don't remember I'll let you know: Elgin Baylor and Charley Brown played for Seattle and Guy Rogers for Temple) So if you want to base it all on the racial equation here is the FACT: UK won at least four of their seven when African American athletes were involved.

 

Unlike some SEC brethren of the time (Alabama in '56 and Miss State more than once), UK would play teams with African-American players. In fact they had USC and UCLA on the schedules in the early 60's.

 

I'm not saying KY doesn't deserve its black eyes in the debate, but get the FACTS straight RockPride.

How many titles have you SEEN? That's all that matters to me.

 

I don't know about him but I saw the '78, '96 and '98 titles.

 

I also saw the '75 runner-up, '84 Final Four, '93 Final Four and '97 Runner-up teams. (Throw in the '76 NIT too since that was when the NCAA was only 32 teams deep and only 2 from a conference were invited, making the NIT a pretty good tourney)

 

I won't count the '66 Runner-up squad because I was alive but not following Basketball yet. :D

The only thing that kept UCLA and Sam Gilbert not being busted was an apparent blind eye by the NCAA.

 

IMO the only one of the top 3 without a glaring blemish is UNC.

Place the word known in front of "glaring" and I agree with you.

If you're talking all time, UNC will have more wins....most of UK's success was when black people couldn't play......I agree with Forde, I hate it, but UNC and UCLA are the top dogs.

And most of UCLA's success was when there were only 32 teams in the tournament and the Bruins usually got to play the first two games close to their home in order to qualify for the Final Four. It was quite a bit easier back in those days.

Place the word known in front of "glaring" and I agree with you.

 

No one knew about Sam Gilbert?

And most of UCLA's success was when there were only 32 teams in the tournament and the Bruins usually got to play the first two games close to their home in order to qualify for the Final Four. It was quite a bit easier back in those days.

 

I doubt if letting in 32 other teams would have had an impact on UCLA's run.

If you're talking all time, UNC will have more wins....most of UK's success was when black people couldn't play......I agree with Forde, I hate it, but UNC and UCLA are the top dogs.

 

But they don't so that makes no sense. That's like saying UK WILL have more titles than UCLA..

  • Author
If you're talking all time, UNC will have more wins....most of UK's success was when black people couldn't play......I agree with Forde, I hate it, but UNC and UCLA are the top dogs.

 

Will have more wins? They are 4 behind UK and atleast to start the year UK will be ranked ahead of UNC.

 

As for winning vs. black people its hard to argue with Hatz facts. This was just another dig he was trying to get in concerning UK.

I think we've had this conversation before. :ohbrother:

 

It's a half truth. While many blacks were kept from playing as prominent a role as they deserved do we say the same for the Celtics?

 

BTW, UK played vs. Solly Walker and St Johns in 1952. (twice)

 

Who do you think was on the Seattle team and Temple team (twice) that UK beat to claim the 1958 NCAA crown? (Probably because you don't remember I'll let you know: Elgin Baylor and Charley Brown played for Seattle and Guy Rogers for Temple) So if you want to base it all on the racial equation here is the FACT: UK won at least four of their seven when African American athletes were involved.

 

Unlike some SEC brethren of the time (Alabama in '56 and Miss State more than once), UK would play teams with African-American players. In fact they had USC and UCLA on the schedules in the early 60's.

 

I'm not saying KY doesn't deserve its black eyes in the debate, but get the FACTS straight RockPride.

:thumb: :thumb:

 

Facts are fun!!!

If you're talking all time, UNC will have more wins....most of UK's success was when black people couldn't play......I agree with Forde, I hate it, but UNC and UCLA are the top dogs.

 

I'm not sure if UK should be #1 on the list or not, but I believe the rankings were not limited to the time period before college basketball was desegregated, which makes your argument pointless.

I think Forde wanting people to talk about his article and enjoys getting the attention he receives when he involves UK into his arguments. It's the only way he knows to stir any type of conversation. I think he's a joke.

 

I think you nailed it. He will never reach the level of some of the great sportswriters, so he has to take shortcuts to get noticed.

I love that you always have to break out your pet excuse to downplay UKs history of success. Keep at it though if it makes you feel better.

 

Most wins and 2nd most titles. I'll take that any day. Especially if the next few years go as well as they could.

 

You said it, and now I don't have to. :thumb:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.