Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Hip Hop isn't Music

Featured Replies

I guess hip hop is music...but most of it is awful.

  • Replies 35
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or Duke Ellington, Ella , Maynard Ferguson . My favorite form of music is Opera ( not grand Old ) with Jazz a close second .

 

One of the reasons why I like Opera

 

I didn't think about Duke Ellington or Ferguson.

I guess hip hop is music...but most of it is awful.

 

I feel the same way about country...

This thread should actually read RAP isn't music, not Hip Hop. Hip Hop isn't just music, it's a culture. Rap is just a product of the Hip Hop culture.

 

In a music form, Hip Hop is generally more musical than rap. Hip Hop in a music forms takes on many different forms. Artists such as the Fugees, deap prez, Common, and Kanye West are your typical Hip Hop artists, while Lil' Wayne, Rick Ross, Flo Rida are typically Rappers.

 

I don't know if I explained it well enough, but there is a difference between rap and hip hop.

I feel the same way about country...

 

I feel the same way about all music but Rap/Hip Hop.

I feel the same way about country...

 

I'll stick with Deuce in this thread. You can say what you want about hip hop but if you pick and choose the good from the bad, you'd understand why a good % of the U.S. listens to hip hop.

Unfortunately, some of those who said jazz "isn't music" were saying it for the same reasons as some of those who say hip-hop "isn't music."

 

I'm not pointing any fingers at anyone in specific. Those people know in their hearts who they are.

 

I disagree. I know some who say that hip hop isn't music for only a few reasons, ... none of which relate to jazz. Musicianship and/or the ability to sing. Jazz music is LOADED with tremendous musicians and on the non instrumental side, some pretty amazing vocalists. You can't say the same for most of the hip hop genre. I am not saying that hip hop isn't music, but it doesn't require the ability to play an actual musical instrument as does jazz or to have the vocal chops of a top notch jazz vocalist.

I'll stick with Deuce in this thread. You can say what you want about hip hop but if you pick and choose the good from the bad, you'd understand why a good % of the U.S. listens to hip hop.

 

Purple hit the nail on the head... The majority of people lump Rap and Hip-Hop into one big group, when with a little research, they could find that they're not the same.

I feel the same way about all music but Rap/Hip Hop.

 

:thumb:

I guess hip hop is music...but most of it is awful.
Just a few years ago weren't you a HUGE rap fan?
I feel the same way about country...
To me it's virtually impossible to discount any genre of music. I can generally find something I like in all genres and there seems to be good stuff in all of it. There may be some movements or styles within that genre I don't particularlly like, but as a whole I try not to discount anything.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Disclaimer: Contemporary Christian music isn't a genre in itself. There are genres within Contemporary Christian music, but I would consider Christian music a movement within those genres. And it's a movement that REALLY sucks.

I disagree. I know some who say that hip hop isn't music for only a few reasons, ... none of which relate to jazz. Musicianship and/or the ability to sing. Jazz music is LOADED with tremendous musicians and on the non instrumental side, some pretty amazing vocalists. You can't say the same for most of the hip hop genre. I am not saying that hip hop isn't music, but it doesn't require the ability to play an actual musical instrument as does jazz or to have the vocal chops of a top notch jazz vocalist.

 

I totally agree. :thumb:

I disagree. I know some who say that hip hop isn't music for only a few reasons, ... none of which relate to jazz. Musicianship and/or the ability to sing. Jazz music is LOADED with tremendous musicians and on the non instrumental side, some pretty amazing vocalists. You can't say the same for most of the hip hop genre. I am not saying that hip hop isn't music, but it doesn't require the ability to play an actual musical instrument as does jazz or to have the vocal chops of a top notch jazz vocalist.
I'm not for sure if you got the point of Jim's post.

 

He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe what he was trying to get at is that people have discounted these genres of music due to both were at one time predominantly populated with black musicians.

I disagree. I know some who say that hip hop isn't music for only a few reasons, ... none of which relate to jazz. Musicianship and/or the ability to sing. Jazz music is LOADED with tremendous musicians and on the non instrumental side, some pretty amazing vocalists. You can't say the same for most of the hip hop genre. I am not saying that hip hop isn't music, but it doesn't require the ability to play an actual musical instrument as does jazz or to have the vocal chops of a top notch jazz vocalist.

 

You weren't following my point. For some people, it has nothing to do with the relative artistic merits so much as who the primary deliverers are/were.

 

I'm not for sure if you got the point of Jim's post.

 

He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe what he was trying to get at is that people have discounted these genres of music due to both were at one time predominantly populated with black musicians.

 

Oops, missed your post.

I feel the same way about country...

 

I do as well.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.