Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Hip Hop isn't Music

Featured Replies

Just a few years ago weren't you a HUGE rap fan?

 

I was a rap fan when I was around 15 :lol:. And yes, I was on here when I was 15. I'm 23 now...I've grown out of it.

  • Replies 35
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I disagree. I know some who say that hip hop isn't music for only a few reasons, ... none of which relate to jazz. Musicianship and/or the ability to sing. Jazz music is LOADED with tremendous musicians and on the non instrumental side, some pretty amazing vocalists. You can't say the same for most of the hip hop genre. I am not saying that hip hop isn't music, but it doesn't require the ability to play an actual musical instrument as does jazz or to have the vocal chops of a top notch jazz vocalist.

 

Hip hop actually incorporates the playing of live instruments as well as music without samples in it. Rap uses samples. Hip hop is an original form of music. Rap and hip hop are two different genres of music. Just because they both have lyrics that rhyme doesn't make them the same. A lot of people who actually embrace the hip hop culture and it's artists and music are sometimes ridiculed and rejected by those who strictly listen to rap.

You weren't following my point. For some people, it has nothing to do with the relative artistic merits so much as who the primary deliverers are/were.

 

 

 

Oops, missed your post.

 

I didn't catch the point, but I would agree that some people may be that way. However, my point was that most that I know don't give it's due because of the lack of musicianship or singing, not because of race.

 

While I am not a big hip hop or rap fan (there are several rap or hip/hop songs I do like), I won't say that it is not music. If all music were the same, it would get boring really quickly.

 

But as far as jazz goes, ... like I said some of the best musicians are in that genre. Omar Hakim (drummer) is a jazz drummer, but did play with Sting for a while. I can say he may well be the best drummer I have ever seen in person.

I'm not sure why people care so much about what music other people choose to listen to...

Jazz is music to my ears. It's what I listen to when I read BGP's and the original group "Chicago" has always been one of my favorites. In fact I would be listening to it right now, if my Daughter hadn't swiped it and taken it to Murray with her. She will be getting a phone call in a minute about it too!

I'm not sure why people care so much about what music other people choose to listen to...
Just trying to help! :D

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.