August 24, 200917 yr Rick Reilly has an article on ESPN.com that tells of a mother sueing Little League all the way down to the first base coach because her son tore his knee up going for a double. The insurnace company settled with her for $125,000.
August 24, 200917 yr Thats a lot of money. This is whats wrong with things. I broke my leg in Little League going for a double and my parents didn't even consider suing the coach.
August 24, 200917 yr Thats a lot of money. This is whats wrong with things. I broke my leg in Little League going for a double and my parents didn't even consider suing the coach. Probably smacked you on the head for not sliding properly.
August 24, 200917 yr I heard Hearsay was the lawyer on this case. Now THAT's some good hearsay....................
August 24, 200917 yr Ridiculous. If I had $125,000 for every time I got hurt playing a sport I'd be laying on a beach in Mexico not looking for a job.
August 24, 200917 yr Sometimes I think insurance companies should stop settling out of court. They will pay off "nusiance" lawsuits rather than risk going to court and most people know and count on that.
August 24, 200917 yr Well I'm sure that kid will NEVER get invited over to play. I wouldn't want him at my house!
August 25, 200917 yr Rick Reilly has an article on ESPN.com that tells of a mother sueing Little League all the way down to the first base coach because her son tore his knee up going for a double. The insurnace company settled with her for $125,000. I read tht too, the companion story about the kid with the broken arm was really what little league is all about. Suits like this is one reason why leagues can't get suitable coaches.
August 25, 200917 yr I read tht too, the companion story about the kid with the broken arm was really what little league is all about. Suits like this is one reason why leagues can't get suitable coaches. :thumb: It is sad, but true. Accidents just don't happen, ... why someone has to be to blame! :scared: :isurrender: This is also one of the reasons that insurance rates have skyrocketed over the past 20 years. It is just so very sad.
August 25, 200917 yr This is also one of the reasons that insurance rates have skyrocketed over the past 20 years. Helloooooooo MAJOR FACTOR in why health care/costs are so high... frivolous, greedy lawsuits -- leading to higher insurance & CYA costs.
August 25, 200917 yr These frivolous lawsuits are frightening. Apparently it wasn't frivolous is the insurance company settled.
August 25, 200917 yr Apparently it wasn't frivolous is the insurance company settled. Not even close to being true. You never know what a jury is going to do so the insurance company has to weight the risks. If they take it to trial they could loose a whole lot more. They decided it was worth $125,000 to settle and not run the risk of putting it the hands of the jury.
August 25, 200917 yr Apparently it wasn't frivolous is the insurance company settled. Give me a scenario where the first base coach would be liable for an injury when he tells a kid to go to 2nd base? The insurance company probably paid $125K to the attorney's to settle it. Court costs would've been astronomical in a case like this. Did you read the article? They even had safety bases and she STILL tried to sue Little League.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.