Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NKY Middle School Basketball League

Featured Replies

What does Highlands 6th and 7th look like this year ? Did the coach keep alot of 6th graders around last year on the 7th like he did in past years ? So they have a 6th grade team now? It looks like a lot of games for the kids , they could be playing after the high school season is over with the weather...

  • Replies 230
  • Views 38.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are these games going to be played?

 

Most of these schools have middle school gyms. In the past I believe Blessed Sacrament played at SOAS in Florence.

Raiderbird speaking of Highlands 6th grade team, have they named a coach yet?

 

Not yet....Heard it should be sometime soon..

I was hoping HHS 7th would get to play the Boone Co teams this year. Getting them involved in the league makes that happen. Would have been great to get Walton in the group. They have a solid program there for the middle school kids.

What does Highlands 6th and 7th look like this year ? Did the coach keep alot of 6th graders around last year on the 7th like he did in past years ? So they have a 6th grade team now? It looks like a lot of games for the kids , they could be playing after the high school season is over with the weather...

 

 

HHS 7th may start 5 guards and set an unofficial middle school record for attempted 3 pointers in a season.

 

 

Raiderbird says the 6th grade will have a lot of size, well the 7th grade will be vertically challenged. They have plenty of talent, just not very big.

HHS 7th may start 5 guards and set an unofficial middle school record for attempted 3 pointers in a season.

 

 

Raiderbird says the 6th grade will have a lot of size, well the 7th grade will be vertically challenged. They have plenty of talent, just not very big.

 

You will have 3 kids around 5'8 and another 5'6 or so...:thumb:

  • Author
You will have 3 kids around 5'8 and another 5'6 or so...:thumb:

 

WOW! That is big for a 6th grade team. What are their names?

WOW! That is big for a 6th grade team. What are their names?

 

Weyer, Henschen, Hergott, and Hebel(sp)?

HHS 7th may start 5 guards and set an unofficial middle school record for attempted 3 pointers in a season.

 

 

Raiderbird says the 6th grade will have a lot of size, well the 7th grade will be vertically challenged. They have plenty of talent, just not very big.

 

I do not know the bylaws but are any of the 6th grade boys skilled enough to play up for the vertically challenged 7th grade? I know last year a 7th grade student played freshman basketball. Does it make sense to have four boys 5'6" or better on one squad and have five guards on another. It looks like you are going to have kids playing out of position.

I am sure that Mike Flynn will have a say in how the rosters are put together. Why play a 6th grader up where there minutes might be more limited than if they played in their own grade. Size is a great thing, but you need to be able to get them the ball and when they get it they need to be able to finish on a consistent basis. Don't let Stinky fool you, there is some size in the class however it is a little underdeveloped at this stage of the game. As for the HMS teams, I would expect that each one of them will be very competitive in this league night in and night out. The smartest thing done was getting the 6th grade program up and running so that more boys will have the opportunity to play for their school rather than making a 7th grade team and spending a majority of their time on the bench. I to have heard that a coach signing may be coming in the very near future. I personally would like to see Mike Vories take over the 6th grade program and then find someone to coach the 8th grade team. Mike's coaching style and knowledge of the game would do these kids wonders.

JOAT, I appreciate the information. I totally agree that a 6th grade program is a great start. Again, I agree with your assesment in regards to not play a boy up in the middle school unless he is talented and a major contributor and will play a lot of minutes. I sure hope Mike Flynn is involved in the middle school assessment, that would be great for all parties. How many boys are they expecting to come out this year for the teams? I differ a little on your opinion in regards to opportunities to play. I think if a boy can make a team regardless of grade, he will get better playing and practicing with older boys. I see no reason why a boy if talented enough should not make a team solely because he is in a younger grade. NOTE, I am not saying playing time (just on the team to practice and get better) IMO this is an opportunity for a child to get better the following year. It happens in girls ball all the time, How many girls are playing up at Highlands. In boys it is much tougher, I understand but if a 4th grader can play with the 6th graders why not let him play basketball (if the basketball coach feels he can). I hope that the program and administration looks at this closely. It is being done on other sport teams throughout the school.

JOAT, I appreciate the information. I totally agree that a 6th grade program is a great start. Again, I agree with your assesment in regards to not play a boy up in the middle school unless he is talented and a major contributor and will play a lot of minutes. I sure hope Mike Flynn is involved in the middle school assessment, that would be great for all parties. How many boys are they expecting to come out this year for the teams? I differ a little on your opinion in regards to opportunities to play. I think if a boy can make a team regardless of grade, he will get better playing and practicing with older boys. I see no reason why a boy if talented enough should not make a team solely because he is in a younger grade. NOTE, I am not saying playing time (just on the team to practice and get better) IMO this is an opportunity for a child to get better the following year. It happens in girls ball all the time, How many girls are playing up at Highlands. In boys it is much tougher, I understand but if a 4th grader can play with the 6th graders why not let him play basketball (if the basketball coach feels he can). I hope that the program and administration looks at this closely. It is being done on other sport teams throughout the school.

 

I may be mistaken, but I do not recall a grade schooler ever playing on a middle school team at Highlands.

I may be mistaken, but I do not recall a grade schooler ever playing on a middle school team at Highlands.

 

IMO if a boy/girl can make a school team when that sport is not offered on the elementary campus they should have the right to tryout. Do we not have 7th graders playing freshman ball or a 5th grader playing varsity tennis. I think it is strictly up to the coaching staff. IMO I think to tell a girl/boy he/she can't tryout because he is not on campus is wrong and is currently not what they are doing on the middle school/ high school campus. Like I stated earlier, I do not think she necessarily will be good enough to start but if she is better than option 10,11, 12 etc why not let them grow the year; instead of sending her/him to find another team. In other elementary schools they have school teams, in fact they have entire parochial leagues. I just think it needs to be visited. I would be interested know how others feel. afi100guy is around a lot of ball, what would be your mind set.

IMO if a boy/girl can make a school team when that sport is not offered on the elementary campus they should have the right to tryout. Do we not have 7th graders playing freshman ball or a 5th grader playing varsity tennis. I think it is strictly up to the coaching staff. IMO I think to tell a girl/boy he/she can't tryout because he is not on campus is wrong and is currently not what they are doing on the middle school/ high school campus. Like I stated earlier, I do not think she necessarily will be good enough to start but if she is better than option 10,11, 12 etc why not let them grow the year; instead of sending her/him to find another team. In other elementary schools they have school teams, in fact they have entire parochial leagues. I just think it needs to be visited. I would be interested know how others feel. afi100guy is around a lot of ball, what would be your mind set.

 

I did not set forth an opinion either way. I was just stating a fact. I agree that the it should be strictly up to the coaching staff. That being said it appears that up until this point the coaches have disagreed with your opinion. Not me.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.