Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2009 Holmes... Best NKY team ever?

Featured Replies

I agree with you on the CovCath and Holmes teams, but SK's 1981 team would have taken a beating from this Holmes team. Just to give you example, Holmes 1980 team with Beal & company was beating the same SK team by 39.

 

Tiger1, I think maybe your view of the score board was partially blocked by the water cooler, a very talented, senior laden Holmes team beat the Pioneers on that night by 15, 86-71. The 81' SK team your referring to was obviously a year older and would welcome any challenge! If you want to attempt to compare era's, you probably could compare our team (multi-sport athletes) to the Central team that the 09' Bulldogs just beat in 2 OT's, hardly a "beating", and that would be without Mckinley, because I didn't see any Mckinley's on Central's team!

 

With all that being said, "Way To Go Bulldogs"!!!! You made all of NKY proud and truly are a great team.

  • Replies 55
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never seen them play and am just wondering. How would the 98 Highlands team stack up with the 09 Holmes team with Lorenzen and Smith?

 

I think that Highlands team could be comparable to the Central team this year with the big boys down low. I could see J Load and Smith getting Pittman in foul trouble, but the guards for Holmes being the difference makers.

Tiger1, I think maybe your view of the score board was partially blocked by the water cooler, a very talented, senior laden Holmes team beat the Pioneers on that night by 15, 86-71. The 81' SK team your referring to was obviously a year older and would welcome any challenge! If you want to attempt to compare era's, you probably could compare our team (multi-sport athletes) to the Central team that the 09' Bulldogs just beat in 2 OT's, hardly a "beating", and that would be without Mckinley, because I didn't see any Mckinley's on Central's team!

 

With all that being said, "Way To Go Bulldogs"!!!! You made all of NKY proud and truly are a great team.

 

My view wasn't blocked by anything and you didn't tell the whole story....Coach Flynn of Holmes played his bench at least half of the third quarter and most of the fourth. SK made a good run during this time to cut the final margin down to 15. These are the facts.

 

To end with this....you compared SK's 1981 team to Central, give me a break as SK's team had no athletes even close to Central's players.

Edited by Tiger1

The title of this thread was: 2009 Holmes Team...Best NKY Team ever? Again, I will say yes and the #2 Team would be the 1978 Holmes Team. Pretty cut and dry to me.

I have to correct you, they weren't playing the same team if it was in '80.

 

The SK team of 1980 that was getting beat pretty badly by Holmes was the same SK players that went on to win the 1981 state championship. I was basically just comparing how SK couldn't stay with that Holmes team and this years Holmes team was pretty similiar to the 1980 squad and IMO: the 81' SK team would have not beaten this years Holmes team.

The title of this thread was: 2009 Holmes Team...Best NKY Team ever? Again, I will say yes and the #2 Team would be the 1978 Holmes Team. Pretty cut and dry to me.

 

You are right about the title of this thread.. I got a little off track.

 

I will have to say that I didn't have the pleasure in getting to see those great CovCath teams of the 60s', but in IMO: even though Holmes 1978 team didn't officially win the state championship, I feel they are the best team to ever come out of NKY. I would definitely rank this years Holmes team in the top 3.

You are right about the title of this thread.. I got a little off track.

 

I will have to say that I didn't have the pleasure in getting to see those great CovCath teams of the 60s', but in IMO: even though Holmes 1978 team didn't officially win the state championship, I feel they are the best team to ever come out of NKY. I would definitely rank this years Holmes team in the top 3.

 

Lets meet in the middle. 1A and 1B.:thumb:

Lets meet in the middle. 1A and 1B.:thumb:

 

I can agree to that.:thumb:

My view wasn't blocked by anything and you didn't tell the whole story....Coach Flynn of Holmes played his bench at least half of the third quarter and most of the fourth. SK made a good run during this time to cut the final margin down to 15. These are the facts.

 

To end with this....you compared SK's 1981 team to Central, give me a break as SK's team had no athletes even close to Central's players.

 

You are way off on the athletes Simon Kenton had. Billy Meier, Alan Mullins and Greg Ponzer were all three very gifted athletically. I remember the 6' Ponzer winning a jump ball against 6' 7" Manuel Forrest in the state semis. Alan Mullins was an excellent athlete and played wide receiver at W. Ky. And with that said, athletically, neither of those was even close to Meier. He was a purely gifted athlete with size, speed, strength and power. Simon Kenton's team deserves to be considered the best ever right along with this year's Holmes team. All that being said, I would say Holmes is the best ever.

  • Author
I never seen them play and am just wondering. How would the 98 Highlands team stack up with the 09 Holmes team with Lorenzen and Smith?

 

I think that Highlands team could be comparable to the Central team this year with the big boys down low. I could see J Load and Smith getting Pittman in foul trouble, but the guards for Holmes being the difference makers.

 

The 97 Highlands team was good but didn't have the guard play to beat this years' Holmes team IMO. J-Lo wouldn't have been able to guard either Johnson Brother as both are too quick and I think Pittman's athleticism around the rim would be the difference against Smith. That Highlands team had no where near the overall athleticism that Central has with Wilson, Patterson, Morrison, and Robinson.

If Andy Burns of WV makes free throw in 1981 SK goes out in 1st round of district and no one would be calling for comparison. Having said that, of course Holmes could have been beaten by Boone in Regional Finals. Still would have to say Holmes of 78 and this year is better overall team-- SK maybe had best tourney run of all time though. There is a difference.

If Andy Burns of WV makes free throw in 1981 SK goes out in 1st round of district and no one would be calling for comparison. Having said that, of course Holmes could have been beaten by Boone in Regional Finals. Still would have to say Holmes of 78 and this year is better overall team-- SK maybe had best tourney run of all time though. There is a difference.

 

I believe Holmes in 78 was down by 14 in 4th quarter the first round of the district tourney to HC. So it seems to me that all 3 had a little luck just to get out of NKY.

You are way off on the athletes Simon Kenton had. Billy Meier, Alan Mullins and Greg Ponzer were all three very gifted athletically. I remember the 6' Ponzer winning a jump ball against 6' 7" Manuel Forrest in the state semis. Alan Mullins was an excellent athlete and played wide receiver at W. Ky. And with that said, athletically, neither of those was even close to Meier. He was a purely gifted athlete with size, speed, strength and power. Simon Kenton's team deserves to be considered the best ever right along with this year's Holmes team. All that being said, I would say Holmes is the best ever.

 

 

I was only 7 during the '81 season but I do know that SK's players weren't chopped liver. McKinley to UK, Dixon to EKU, Meier was a three sport standout, Ponzer played football at Hanover, and Mullins had a nice football career at WKU. It's all opinion but I'm sure that team would be capable to beat the '09 version of the Dogs. With that being said '78 Holmes is usually the team that sticks out in the minds of most in NKY as being the all time best, and it's hard to argue against a team with that type of talent.

Don't forget about the Holmes '08 squad. This year's team plus Arrez, Josh Nelson, Braeon Avery and Terrance Clark. No offense to Central, but the '08 Mason County Royals (Holmes' 08 finals opponent) were a much more formidable obstacle to overcome prior to cutting down the nets.

The 3 year run Holmes has had is unreal

 

06-07 25-10 State semis

07-08 34-3 State runner up

08-09 36-2 State champ

 

Coach David Henley had a two run as a player at Carlisle County

81-82 30-5, lost in regional semifinals

82-83 40-4, state runner up

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.