Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2009 Holmes... Best NKY team ever?

Featured Replies

My view wasn't blocked by anything and you didn't tell the whole story....Coach Flynn of Holmes played his bench at least half of the third quarter and most of the fourth. SK made a good run during this time to cut the final margin down to 15. These are the facts.

 

To end with this....you compared SK's 1981 team to Central, give me a break as SK's team had no athletes even close to Central's players.

 

Realy now, given that era you may have been drinking the Jim Jones cool-aide. Let me run down the athletes on that team for you:

 

McKinley Division 1 basketball UK

Dixon Division 1 basketball EKU

Mier D3 Thomas More 2 sport athlete average Double figures in BB

Mullins D1AA Football WKU

Ponzer NAIA D1 Football Hanover

Medley D1 Baseball WKU

Daughtery D2 baseball NKU

 

And they all were good in the class room. No Simon had no athletes at all that year.

  • Replies 55
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to say yes! Imo R.J, J.J., and Elijah will end up being the greatest class to put on a Bulldogs jersey. Holmes is something like 70-5 over the last two season with two state finals and a state championship. They should reach a 100 wins and no more than 10 losses. I'm not sure how them numbers stack up against the old Holmes and Cov. Cath teams, but they have to be close. This team has the hardware and 1/3 of the schedule was against top 25 teams. If you look back on the season Holmes beat all the top teams in the state. Elliott, Bryan Station, Ballard, Seneca, Franklin Co, Boone Co., Lex. Cath, Hazard, Tates Creek, Highlands, Scott, Christian Co., Scott Co., Henderson Co. They also avenged both of the losses they had this year.

Absolutely, this is the best team. The only other team that compares is last years team with Henderson.

Fundamental problem with this thread - what does "best" mean? If it is who beats who, then I would probably agree with 09 Dogs being the best. But I would say that, as matchups go, the 80 Dogs would have presented more problems for the 09 Dogs than the 78 team. None of the 09 Dogs, the 78 Dogs, the 81 Pioneers, the 67 Colonels, had an answer for the lightening fast guard play of the 80 squad. This year's Dogs biggest flaw was that they always let the other team dictate the tempo. They just happen to be tremendous athletes that also played great defense.

 

As the only even semi close comparison I can conjure up, I would point out that the quick little guard from Christian County got to the basket pretty doggone easily against Holmes early in that first round game and, while he was quick, he was no Dicky.

 

End of the day, I say in a tournament it's 1. 09 Holmes/80 Holmes - pick'em; 3. 78 Holmes; 4. 08 Holmes; 5. 81 SK/Highlands

Realy now, given that era you may have been drinking the Jim Jones cool-aide. Let me run down the athletes on that team for you:

 

 

Ponzer NAIA D1 Football Hanover

 

Daughtery D2 baseball NKU

 

And they all were good in the class room. No Simon had no athletes at all that year.

 

Hanover is/was D3.

 

Sean Daugherty did not play baseball at NKU.

 

With that, I tell everyone that Greg Ponzer would be on any team I had no matter the sport.

Chris Berns played in 76 or 77. Dave Derkson started on the 78 squad until the state finals against Shelby County - that was Dicky Beal's first start of the year, even though he did make the District All Tourney team coming off the bench.

Chris Berns played in 76 or 77. Dave Derkson started on the 78 squad until the state finals against Shelby County - that was Dicky Beal's first start of the year, even though he did make the District All Tourney team coming off the bench.

 

 

I don't think Beal started the finals. I've heard the story many times and he didn't start.

I don't think Beal started the finals. I've heard the story many times and he didn't start.

 

The story's wrong. Two guys played 35 minutes that night for Holmes (4 eight minute quarters and a 3 minute overtime) - Dicky Beal and Mark Moeves. Schloemer, Wimzie and Malik all fouled out. Derkson did not play at all in that game. In the story as you've heard it, who started at the point?

The story's wrong. Two guys played 35 minutes that night for Holmes (4 eight minute quarters and a 3 minute overtime) - Dicky Beal and Mark Moeves. Schloemer, Wimzie and Malik all fouled out. Derkson did not play at all in that game. In the story as you've heard it, who started at the point?

 

The regular starter. The story has been told to me multiple times by the Mr. Basketball player that year.

Doug is a good lawyer, but I think I've got the evidence to win the argument - tell him to check the box score in his "Lest we forget".

Without a doubt the best team that I have ever seen in NKY. Many teams had one or two great players, but I have not seen a starting five as long and as athletic at the 2009 Holmes team. I can only imagine what the stats would have looked like if the starters go to play more then three quarters in most games. Holmes was just on a mission and the mission was accomplished.

 

State Champions are hard to argue against.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.