Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2009 Holmes... Best NKY team ever?

Featured Replies

  • Author

As far as the 78-09 debate, here is what Dicky Beal and Doug Schloemer had to say:

 

"We didn't win, and it's all about winning," said Dicky Beal, who was a sophomore guard on that team and went on to play for the University of Kentucky. "They took the title. That makes them the best set of players to ever come out of this school and I feel very comfortable in saying that."

 

"It doesn't matter," he said. "This group went to three Final Fours in a row and two championship games and not many schools can say that."

 

"We were both very different," said Schloemer. "We averaged 85 points a game and they get it done playing solid halfcourt basketball. This is about what they accomplished, not what we almost did."

 

Beal did admit he was disappointed he didn't get a chance to have the feeling the current players are enjoying.

 

"One part of me is no doubt happy, but as a player I would have to done it and know how beautiful it is to win that championship," he said.

 

http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20090324/SPT0302/903240377/

  • Replies 55
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Refresh my memory .... who were the starters and key bench players on that 78 Holmes team?

  • Author
Refresh my memory .... who were the starters and key bench players on that 78 Holmes team?

 

I think the starting 5 was:

 

Schloemer

Beal

Wimzie

Moeves

Simpson

 

I'm not too familiar with all of the players that were on that team though, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by kywldcat01

I think the starting 5 was:

 

Schloemer

Beal

Wimzie

Moeves

Simpson

 

I'm not too familiar with all of the players that were on that team though, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

 

Simpson definitely did not start. Tony Malik started at center. If my memory serves me, I don't think Beal started on this team as the other guard with Moeves. I think it was Richard Derkson(sp?).

 

I think the starting five went like this:

Malik at center

Schloemer & Wimzie at forwards

Moeves & Derkson at guards.

 

Off the bench was Walton, Beal, Simpson, Phil Davis, Todd Riley, Todd Feedback, and Watts.

 

If I am wrong, please correct me.

Simpson definitely did not start. Tony Malik started at center. If my memory serves me, I don't think Beal started on this team as the other guard with Moeves was Richard Derkson(sp?).

 

I think the starting five went like this:

Malik at center

Schloemer & Wimzie at forwards

Moeves & Derkson at guards.

 

Off the bench was Walton, Beal, Simpson, Phil Davis, Todd Riley, Todd Feedback, and Watts.

 

If I am wrong, please correct me.

 

I don't think Richard Derkson is right. He played at Cov Cath around 1970 and then went on to NKU. Unless there is another Richard Derkson.

I don't think Richard Derkson is right. He played at Cov Cath around 1970 and then went on to NKU. Unless there is another Richard Derkson.

 

You might be right. But I think a Derkson started on the Holmes 78' team in front of Beal.

As far as the 78-09 debate, here is what Dicky Beal and Doug Schloemer had to say:

 

"We didn't win, and it's all about winning," said Dicky Beal, who was a sophomore guard on that team and went on to play for the University of Kentucky. "They took the title. That makes them the best set of players to ever come out of this school and I feel very comfortable in saying that."

 

"It doesn't matter," he said. "This group went to three Final Fours in a row and two championship games and not many schools can say that."

 

"We were both very different," said Schloemer. "We averaged 85 points a game and they get it done playing solid halfcourt basketball. This is about what they accomplished, not what we almost did."

 

Beal did admit he was disappointed he didn't get a chance to have the feeling the current players are enjoying.

 

"One part of me is no doubt happy, but as a player I would have to done it and know how beautiful it is to win that championship," he said.

 

http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20090324/SPT0302/903240377/

 

I applaud Dicky for his desire to keep the spotlight on the current team. I also saw film of him telling young Mr. Riley that he was the only PG to ever lead a Dogs team to a state title. Very classy of him and I would assume Jamel was thrilled to hear it from a legend.

 

With that , it doesn't mean that a)this team is automatically better or b)Riley is the best PG ever.

You might be right. But I think a Derkson started on the Holmes 78' team in front of Beal.

 

Wasn't it Dave Derkson who played for Holmes in 78?

  • Author
I applaud Dicky for his desire to keep the spotlight on the current team. I also saw film of him telling young Mr. Riley that he was the only PG to ever lead a Dogs team to a state title. Very classy of him and I would assume Jamel was thrilled to hear it from a legend.

 

With that , it doesn't mean that a)this team is automatically better or b)Riley is the best PG ever.

 

I agree on all points.

I don't think Richard Derkson is right. He played at Cov Cath around 1970 and then went on to NKU. Unless there is another Richard Derkson.

 

Simpson definitely did not start. Tony Malik started at center. If my memory serves me, I don't think Beal started on this team as the other guard with Moeves. I think it was Richard Derkson(sp?).

 

I think the starting five went like this:

Malik at center

Schloemer & Wimzie at forwards

Moeves & Derkson at guards.

 

Off the bench was Walton, Beal, Simpson, Phil Davis, Todd Riley, Todd Feedback, and Watts.

 

If I am wrong, please correct me.

 

I'm pretty sure that Dave Derkson is correct and Richard did play at CCH much earlier. Wasn't there a Chris Berns as well on the bench?

Wasn't it Dave Derkson who played for Holmes in 78?

 

I think you are correct. Thanks :thumb:

I'm pretty sure that Dave Derkson is correct and Richard did play at CCH much earlier. Wasn't there a Chris Berns as well on the bench?

 

I don't remember a Chris Berns on any Holmes team. Could be wrong though.

Holmes 09 team is the best ever, the 78 team is right behind them, but the 09 team won the state championship. I think the 2010 team will then be above the 09 team. Next year the three stars: Ricardo, Jeremiah, and Elijah, will be the best they can be in highschool, and will lead Holmes again to a state tiltle in my opinion.

Holmes 09 team is the best ever, the 78 team is right behind them, but the 09 team won the state championship. I think the 2010 team will then be above the 09 team. Next year the three stars: Ricardo, Jeremiah, and Elijah, will be the best they can be in highschool, and will lead Holmes again to a state tiltle in my opinion.

 

I agree 100%. :thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.