March 24, 200917 yr What does that have to do with giving him another chance? He hadn't commited that crime yet. You cannot predict the future. As someone who hopes to better the lives of the people I will come into contact with, I am willing to give even the most troubled individuals the right to be on my team. Some guidance would have helped this young man. Not saying that Tubby didn't give him any, but I do hope that he tried. Not all of us are best with the greatest backgrounds and homes, and need positive individuals in our lives especially around the ages of 16-23. Those are the years that can really make or break your life as you can nearly ruin it before it has really begun. That being said I know nothing about Rashaad Curruths personal life he may have came from a great family. But, alot of players who get into trouble when they are younger are just crying for help, IMO. If you are going to recruit a kid and give him a scholarship I think you owe it to them to give them a second chance. Sure you gave him a free education, but he chose YOUR school over many others. People think these kids should never get into any trouble. They are 18 and 19 years old, out of the house for the first time, and the biggest stars in town. I know I couldn't have handled that very well at 18. The fact that he eventually got kicked off his second team is irrelevant to the UK discussion, IMO, because it hadn't happened yet. If you are in going to be a "future coach" I hope your outlook on people isn't always like this. Kids need help and I think those in charge of them need to give it to them. I believe 2nd chances are a big part of what makes this world great. I love how people like to bring this one out. Another personal attack here. You have no idea how I would coach, or I should say how I have coached and dealt with problem kids. So don't be telling me what I should or should not do...But back to the Carruth thing wasn't it because of a DUI or drug possession? I also remember there being stuff said about him not getting along with his teammates, and coaches. So there was a lot more stuff to the situation. Its just funny to hear you just even try to find another reason to take a shot at Tubby. I mean there were guys who got in trouble at UK that he did end up keeping around as well in Camera, and Fitch. So he didn't get rid of everyone who got in trouble. So obviously he felt like what Carruth did was worthy of letting him go. I'm sure if he didn't feel that way he would have kept him like the other guys, because Carruth was definitely a big time talent coming here. People make mistakes, and do deserve second chances, but every situation is different. There was obviously some stuff he did, that warrented him being gone and not given another chance like the others. Sometimes you have to do that, because obviously was in the best interest in the team.
March 24, 200917 yr Given Carruth's subsequent problems, I would say that Tubby made the right decision. :thumb:
March 24, 200917 yr I love how people like to bring this one out. Another personal attack here. You have no idea how I would coach, or I should say how I have coached and dealt with problem kids. So don't be telling me what I should or should not do...But back to the Carruth thing wasn't it because of a DUI or drug possession? I also remember there being stuff said about him not getting along with his teammates, and coaches. So there was a lot more stuff to the situation. Its just funny to hear you just even try to find another reason to take a shot at Tubby. I mean there were guys who got in trouble at UK that he did end up keeping around as well in Camera, and Fitch. So he didn't get rid of everyone who got in trouble. So obviously he felt like what Carruth did was worthy of letting him go. I'm sure if he didn't feel that way he would have kept him like the other guys, because Carruth was definitely a big time talent coming here. People make mistakes, and do deserve second chances, but every situation is different. There was obviously some stuff he did, that warrented him being gone and not given another chance like the others. Sometimes you have to do that, because obviously was in the best interest in the team. How is that a personal attack? I said I HOPE you weren't like that. I don't know you so how can I make a judgement on you and I didn't make one. Also, how is it a personal attack on Tubby? I said he was a fine man and a good role model that young men would benefit from being around. I think he was in over his head at UK. Obviously he did too or he wouldn't have left for Minnesota. Fans didn't just start talking trash about him that season. As far as every case being different you are 100% correct. But, I just think if what he did was that bad we would have known about it. A DUI or Marijuana possession is really bad, but plenty of athletes are given second chances for those offenses. I think he really could have used some help.
March 24, 200917 yr How is that a personal attack? I said I HOPE you weren't like that. I don't know you so how can I make a judgement on you and I didn't make one. Also, how is it a personal attack on Tubby? I said he was a fine man and a good role model that young men would benefit from being around. I think he was in over his head at UK. Obviously he did too or he wouldn't have left for Minnesota. Fans didn't just start talking trash about him that season. As far as every case being different you are 100% correct. But, I just think if what he did was that bad we would have known about it. A DUI or Marijuana possession is really bad, but plenty of athletes are given second chances for those offenses. I think he really could have used some help. You think he realized he was overhead and it took him ten years to figure that out? :lol: I don't think it had anything to do with being over his head. It more had to do with basically never being accepted by UK fans over all ten years no matter if his teams did good or bad. I mean even during the 03-05 run people still were all over him. The 03 team won 20 something games in a row, and when they lost to Marquette who would have beaten anyone that night, somehow it was still all Tubbys fault. So finally after ten years he had enough, and knew just would never be accepted here, because he was not Pitino and people can't get over Pitino leaving us still. Your the perfect example of the fans I am talking about, you have even said you never liked him from the beginning. Yeah plenty of athletes are given second chances, and Tubby did give people second chances. I think Camera had a DUI as well and he didn't get kicked off. As I said before I am sure there was more to the situation. Might have been he also was really bad with his teammates, coaches, etc. I seriously doubt Tubby would kick someone off for one thing, and keep someone else for the exact same thing unless there was more to it. Especially with as talented as Carruth is. As I said before I can't believe we are even discussing this, and your trying to use this as another thing that Tubby didn't do good. I mean the couple guys he did kick off looked like the right decisions cause both Carruth and Parker I think to also got kicked out at their next schools. This perfect example of really wouldn't matter what he did while here, people would try to find anything to say he did this bad while here.
March 24, 200917 yr You think he realized he was overhead and it took him ten years to figure that out? :lol: I don't think it had anything to do with being over his head. It more had to do with basically never being accepted by UK fans over all ten years no matter if his teams did good or bad. I mean even during the 03-05 run people still were all over him. The 03 team won 20 something games in a row, and when they lost to Marquette who would have beaten anyone that night, somehow it was still all Tubbys fault. So finally after ten years he had enough, and knew just would never be accepted here, because he was not Pitino and people can't get over Pitino leaving us still. Your the perfect example of the fans I am talking about, you have even said you never liked him from the beginning. Yeah plenty of athletes are given second chances, and Tubby did give people second chances. I think Camera had a DUI as well and he didn't get kicked off. As I said before I am sure there was more to the situation. Might have been he also was really bad with his teammates, coaches, etc. I seriously doubt Tubby would kick someone off for one thing, and keep someone else for the exact same thing unless there was more to it. Especially with as talented as Carruth is. As I said before I can't believe we are even discussing this, and your trying to use this as another thing that Tubby didn't do good. I mean the couple guys he did kick off looked like the right decisions cause both Carruth and Parker I think to also got kicked out at their next schools. This perfect example of really wouldn't matter what he did while here, people would try to find anything to say he did this bad while here. :cry: Poor Tubby........
March 24, 200917 yr :cry: Poor Tubby........ The funny thing is you say you only say stuff about Tubby since people defend him. But I only say stuff about Tubby when people still attack him. So I got a feeling me and you will keep going on and on about this for many years to come.
March 24, 200917 yr The funny thing is you say you only say stuff about Tubby since people defend him. But I only say stuff about Tubby when people still attack him. So I got a feeling me and you will keep going on and on about this for many years to come. Doubtfully, I'm actually getting bored with it. I wish Tubs the best, and I'm glad he's gone. There really ain't much else to say about it.
March 24, 200917 yr You think he realized he was overhead and it took him ten years to figure that out? :lol: I don't think it had anything to do with being over his head. It more had to do with basically never being accepted by UK fans over all ten years no matter if his teams did good or bad. I mean even during the 03-05 run people still were all over him. The 03 team won 20 something games in a row, and when they lost to Marquette who would have beaten anyone that night, somehow it was still all Tubbys fault. So finally after ten years he had enough, and knew just would never be accepted here, because he was not Pitino and people can't get over Pitino leaving us still. Your the perfect example of the fans I am talking about, you have even said you never liked him from the beginning. Yeah plenty of athletes are given second chances, and Tubby did give people second chances. I think Camera had a DUI as well and he didn't get kicked off. As I said before I am sure there was more to the situation. Might have been he also was really bad with his teammates, coaches, etc. I seriously doubt Tubby would kick someone off for one thing, and keep someone else for the exact same thing unless there was more to it. Especially with as talented as Carruth is. As I said before I can't believe we are even discussing this, and your trying to use this as another thing that Tubby didn't do good. I mean the couple guys he did kick off looked like the right decisions cause both Carruth and Parker I think to also got kicked out at their next schools. This perfect example of really wouldn't matter what he did while here, people would try to find anything to say he did this bad while here. There are plenty of coaches that I would have liked to have had that aren't Pitino. I know it is unlikely to have a chance to win 3 straight titles ever again and I do miss Pitino being here. Plenty of people could have done a better job, and we should have had them, IMO. In 1998 we could have gotten anyone short of Dean Smith or Coach K IMO. We settled for Tubby just like we ended up settling for BCG. Tubby had his time and he left the program in a mess. What is so hard about that? The program was worse in 2007 than it was in 1998 that's not debatable. And Even if the '96 and '97 teams hadn't been to the finals I would be saying that. Tubby hurt UK more than he helped it. Sure not many, if anyone would have had UK on the special run that Pitino did, but to think that other coaches wouldn't have been able to keep UK as a perennial contender is insanity. How about Cal turning Memphis into a NBA factory and a legit threat to reach the final four year in and year out? What could he have done at UK? Billy Donavon who was suppose to be a candidate when Tubby got the job, though he was a little too inexperienced, built FLORIDA a FOOTBALL SCHOOL into a two time national champion. Don't give me that crap that they have been in two straight NIT's. Success is harder to sustain at UF, it's not a basketball hot-bed. Two straight titles at UK and Billy D would put together classes that would resemble the fab five. Tubby isn't the worst coach in the world, but to act like he was great, or even very good FOR UK questionable. In the 90's the Cats were looked at as one of the most fun and coolest teams around. Kids wanted to play there. Tubby changed that. Only kids raised in KY dream of being here now and even that has started to change which also has to be contributed to BCG as well. In short when Pitino left we needed to hit a home run, like UNC found when they got Roy Williams, thought they struck out with Doherty in between. Roy gets what Tar Heel Basketball is all about. He won't be the legend that Dean was, but UNC as a program is as strong as ever. Tubby in no way shape or form was a home run. Though he didn't destroy the program, he certainly didn't maintain it either. UK basketball is worse on the whole for Tubby Smith tenure. Maybe we UK fans are harsh, but when you're spoiled that happens. If Tubby wanted to be embraced he should have really took the UK job by the horns. It is the best job in America when you are winning. Recruit your tail off, play a fun style. You can argue that his recruiting wasn't that bad, but how many lottery picks did he bring in? Those can make up for a lot of problems. All other major programs have made numerous ones over that period of time. That is something that really would have helped him out. We haven't had a lottery pick since '97 I believe.
March 24, 200917 yr In 1998 we could have gotten anyone short of Dean Smith or Coach K IMO. We settled for Tubby just like we ended up settling for BCG.Who could UK have gotten, both in 1997 and 2007? Sure not many, if anyone would have had UK on the special run that Pitino did, but to think that other coaches wouldn't have been able to keep UK as a perennial contender is insanity.Every program has its lulls ... even North Carolina and Duke have had theirs. This is Duke's first Sweet 16 visit since 2006. The Blue Devils haven't been to the Elite Eight or Final Four since 2004. THow about Cal turning Memphis into a NBA factory and a legit threat to reach the final four year in and year out? What could he have done at UK?The UK fans on here keep talking about how shady he is. Donavon who was suppose to be a candidate when Tubby got the job, though he was a little too inexperienced, built FLORIDA a FOOTBALL SCHOOL into a two time national champion. Don't give me that crap that they have been in two straight NIT's. Success is harder to sustain at UF, it's not a basketball hot-bed. Two straight titles at UK and Billy D would put together classes that would resemble the fab five.Florida has been as big a name or a bigger one than Kentucky in basketball circles for several years ... why couldn't he sustain it? If Tubby wanted to be embraced he should have really took the UK job by the horns. It is the best job in America when you are winning.Really? Better than North Carolina? Kansas? UCLA? I think you would get some debate on that on a national level. You can argue that his recruiting wasn't that bad, but how many lottery picks did he bring in? Those can make up for a lot of problems. All other major programs have made numerous ones over that period of time. That is something that really would have helped him out. We haven't had a lottery pick since '97 I believe.Who cares about lottery picks? A college coach's job is to win games, not get guys ready for the NBA. The record is what a coach is evaluated on ... not how many pros he produces.
March 24, 200917 yr Who could UK have gotten, both in 1997 and 2007? Every program has its lulls ... even North Carolina and Duke have had theirs. This is Duke's first Sweet 16 visit since 2006. The Blue Devils haven't been to the Elite Eight or Final Four since 2004. The UK fans on here keep talking about how shady he is. Florida has been as big a name or a bigger one than Kentucky in basketball circles for several years ... why couldn't he sustain it? Really? Better than North Carolina? Kansas? UCLA? I think you would get some debate on that on a national level. Who cares about lottery picks? A college coach's job is to win games, not get guys ready for the NBA. The record is what a coach is evaluated on ... not how many pros he produces. Just about any other coach in the country. Yes, they have lulls and they are back. How long until Tubs would have had us back? I think Cal is the best overall coach in college basketball. Others may have more X's and O's but as far as being a good ambassador and recruiter for the program there are few in his class. UF is just as big a name now as UK. That is my point. They weren't there before he (Billy D) got there. Yes better than those places. UNC owns the state of Carolina, but their are still strong allegiances to other state schools. And Duke is just as big a national name. Kansas. Yes, UK is a better job if all things are equal. UK is definitely better than UCLA. UCLA may have more titles, but UK, when they are good is a bigger brand name. If for no other reason they play in the Eastern Time zone and people actually get to watch many of their games. How many times do you stay up to watch a game in the Pacific Time Zone on FSN? As for Lottery Picks it is a sign of how good your program is. Most elite programs put out top rated players for the draft. I don't think it is too hard to think that the better your players are the better your team is. A top 5 talent can put a bad team in the tournament, make a mediocre team good and and a good team great. Look at Blake Griffin this year. Top 3 talent, that helped bring in Willie Warren. Those are the kind of players top programs should bring in. Who cares if they stay for 1, 2, 3 or 4 years? I would rather win and continue to get good players than always have players play for 4 years. But, of course players like Hansborough and Lawson that stick around are even better.
March 24, 200917 yr I had from a very reliable source at the time that Carruth called Tubby the N word at practice one day and that was pretty much the end of him.
March 24, 200917 yr Just about any other coach in the country.Who? Give us names ... I think Cal is the best overall coach in college basketball. Others may have more X's and O's but as far as being a good ambassador and recruiter for the program there are few in his class.I think Calipari is a heck of a coach, too. But there are too a lot of UK fans who want to criticize him for everything but his coaching. UF is just as big a name now as UK. That is my point. They weren't there before he (Billy D) got there.So what? In some ways, it's just as easy to recruit to Florida as it is Kentucky. The kids today, as a general rule, don't look at tradition and banners, etc., the kind of stuff that UK fans makes their program more special than the rest. Yes better than those places. UNC owns the state of Carolina, but their are still strong allegiances to other state schools. And Duke is just as big a national name. Kansas. Yes, UK is a better job if all things are equal. UK is definitely better than UCLA. UCLA may have more titles, but UK, when they are good is a bigger brand name. If for no other reason they play in the Eastern Time zone and people actually get to watch many of their games. How many times do you stay up to watch a game in the Pacific Time Zone on FSN? Again, you would have a heck of a debate with fans across the country about that. Kentucky fans tend to overrate their program's importance. As for Lottery Picks it is a sign of how good your program is.Winning is a better sign. A top 5 talent can put a bad team in the tournament, make a mediocre team good and and a good team great. Look at Blake Griffin this year. Top 3 talent, that helped bring in Willie Warren. Those are the kind of players top programs should bring in.That reinforces my point. Those kinds of players aren't beholden to the so-called top programs ... they can surface anywhere. Again, Kentucky isn't on a platform by itself, above all the rest. It's just one of a dozen or so elite-level programs and not far above the next wave. Who cares if they stay for 1, 2, 3 or 4 years? I would rather win and continue to get good players than always have players play for 4 years. But, of course players like Hansborough and Lawson that stick around are even better.Tubby preferred to keep guys for four years ... that is his right. Bottom line ... since Kentucky wasn't in the top five every year on Tubby's watch, he was a failure. That's an impossible standard to live up to.
March 24, 200917 yr Bottom line ... since Kentucky wasn't in the top five every year on Tubby's watch, he was a failure. That's an impossible standard to live up to. No. Tubby wasn't under real pressure until his teams were no longer ranked at all.
March 24, 200917 yr The funny thing is you say you only say stuff about Tubby since people defend him. But I only say stuff about Tubby when people still attack him. So I got a feeling me and you will keep going on and on about this for many years to come. At least your the one who is right.:thumb:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.