Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jerry Tarkanian's Thoughts On UK's Problems

Featured Replies

You expect them when you sign them to be there 2 years at least, unless they are top 5 players, and none of them were.

 

After watching them play their freshman years it was pretty obvious that Crawford and Morris were going to be there for the long haul unless something drastic happened.

 

Thats not what you said to begin with.:banana:

 

Sorry, I know thats what you meant. You just nitpicked at me so bad that I thought I would give you a taste.:D

  • Replies 139
  • Views 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Dean Smtih system. Remember when they used to say that the only person who could have kept Jordan under 20 points was Dean Smith? Stackhouse was better at UNC. Jordan and Worthy were better in the NBA but they were slouches in college either. Vince was overshadowed in college by Antawn Jamison. They seemed to switch roles once they got to the NBA. Jamison was definitely a better college basketball player, though he is an pretty good NBA player.

 

But to Mustangs comment I would say no. The just as 5wide said the UNC players were better in the NBA because of how Dean Smith made them play in college. Tubby's players like Rondo and Auzibuike just wanted to get away from being bogged down in Smith's style of coaching.

 

Sorry, but you can't have it both ways. You can't say Smith's players were great in college, just held in check by the system, then turn around and say Tubby's players weren't any good in college and only got good when they got away from him.

Thats not what you said to begin with.:banana:

 

Sorry, I know thats what you meant. You just nitpicked at me so bad that I thought I would give you a taste.:D

 

:clap: I really do love these kind of good-spirited debates. :thumb:

:clap: I really do love these kind of good-spirited debates. :thumb:

 

Only in Kentucky would we be debating about the walk-ons and benchwarmers from 2002 still to this day. Come on basketball gods UK deserves to be good.:ylsuper::lol::lol:

The Dean Smtih system. Remember when they used to say that the only person who could have kept Jordan under 20 points was Dean Smith? Stackhouse was better at UNC. Jordan and Worthy were better in the NBA but they were slouches in college either. Vince was overshadowed in college by Antawn Jamison. They seemed to switch roles once they got to the NBA. Jamison was definitely a better college basketball player, though he is an pretty good NBA player.

 

But to Mustangs comment I would say no. The just as 5wide said the UNC players were better in the NBA because of how Dean Smith made them play in college. Tubby's players like Rondo and Auzibuike just wanted to get away from being bogged down in Smith's style of coaching.

 

Then why come if you dont like his style of coaching? I know Azubuike didnt leave because of that. He left to bail his father out of prison for banking crimes. Rondo on the other hand saw he was a first round draft pick. It wasn't because they didn't like Tubby's style of play.

Then why come if you dont like his style of coaching? I know Azubuike didnt leave because of that. He left to bail his father out of prison for banking crimes. Rondo on the other hand saw he was a first round draft pick. It wasn't because they didn't like Tubby's style of play.

 

I will give you Auzibuike because he had plenty of problems.

 

But, Rondo had alot of things going around about him during his last year at UK.

UNC goes to the final four. UNC stays in the top 5 in the country. UNC brings in McDonald's All-Americans and top rated classes. UNC has been a contender for the title the last few years. Roy took a team that was not that good before he got there to the title. Remember they won like 13 games the season before he got there. Yes, they had talent with 3 first rounders coming back then be brought in Marvin Williams as well. It wasn't like he inherited a squad that was used to winning. You have to take that into consideration.

 

And one title. During Tubby's time, Tubby brought in one title. As I have said a few times if UK was going to final fours more under Tubby, but not winning it all. A lot of you all still would have wanted him gone, and said stuff well he can get there but cant' win it all with his own players. It all has to do with a lot of you all still not being able to get over Pitino being gone, and realizing that great run was an exception at UK not the rule. I mean even during the great 03-05 run we had with 2 overall number one seeds in the tournament and a 2 seed. People were still all over Tubby, and were not liking him being here. That just proved that it really didn't matter what Tubby did. It would have taken Championships and not just final fours either to for people to want him here.

 

Also as I said before you all act like it was a for gone conclusion if Pitino stayed that we would have won it all in 98 as well. The fact is there good chance we dont, and there is a great chance that if he stayed we still only have the same amount of titles as we do now, and maybe less if Pitino didn't eventually win another one. If you want to talk about Roy Williams, then could say he won with other coaches players and a more talented team actually. I could be wrong but there was only two people drafted from the 98 team correct? Just Magloire and Mohammed got drafted I believe, and its not like those guys were stars. UK lost players like Mercer, Anderson, Epps, and I think another big time contributer from the 97 team. So Tubby did not take over the most talented team in the country. Good yes, but not great and he got a title out of them. Tubby was not as good as Pitino was here, but he was not as bad as you all try to make him out to be while here either. As I said before the funny thing is if Pitino had stayed we probably still have the same amount of titles and possibly even less.

I will give you Auzibuike because he had plenty of problems.

 

But, Rondo had alot of things going around about him during his last year at UK.

 

Now this I do agree with. There was a lot of problems Rondo's last year here, from him not liking the system and him not getting a long with some teammates. So it was smart for him to go. :thumb:

Now this I do agree with. There was a lot of problems Rondo's last year here, from him not liking the system and him not getting a long with some teammates. So it was smart for him to go. :thumb:

 

If Rondo would've just stayed away from Sparks' girl, that team could have done some damage...:lol:

Sorry, but you can't have it both ways. You can't say Smith's players were great in college, just held in check by the system, then turn around and say Tubby's players weren't any good in college and only got good when they got away from him.

 

Well lets compare

 

Michael Jordan was a better college and NBA player than Rajon Rondo

Vince Carter was a better college and NBA player than Keith Bogans

Jerry Stackhouse was a better college and NBA player than Kelenna Auzikuike

Rasheed Wallace was a better colleg and NBA player than Randolph Morris.

 

There I just did it. Though Dean Smith's players were held down by their system they were still really good college players. Jordan won 2 POY awards. For Tubby's players :

Rondo was a good rebounder and defender in college. He wasn't known as a great passer and certainly couldn't score like he does in the NBA.

Keith Bogans was always held down by Smith, IMO. His confidence was really ruined his junior year and I don't think he was ever the same.

Morris never developed into the type of player that he could have been. Auzibuike definitely fits better in an quick tempo type of offense. See his performance in the NBA. He is very athletic and has a decent shot, but isn't a great creator off the bounce which is necessary to be the primary option in a half-court style of offense. I really don't see what the gripe is here. I see no comparison.

If Rondo would've just stayed away from Sparks' girl, that team could have done some damage...:lol:

 

 

 

:thumb:

Clicked the link expecting to hear more about Tark's thoughts on UK and a Tubby fight had broke out! Man I love a knock down-drag out UK fight. Say what you will about a UK fan's mental stability, we all have opinions and they are always defended passionately! :taz:

Well lets compare

 

Michael Jordan was a better college and NBA player than Rajon Rondo

Vince Carter was a better college and NBA player than Keith Bogans

Jerry Stackhouse was a better college and NBA player than Kelenna Auzikuike

Rasheed Wallace was a better colleg and NBA player than Randolph Morris.

 

There I just did it. Though Dean Smith's players were held down by their system they were still really good college players. Jordan won 2 POY awards. For Tubby's players :

Rondo was a good rebounder and defender in college. He wasn't known as a great passer and certainly couldn't score like he does in the NBA.

Keith Bogans was always held down by Smith, IMO. His confidence was really ruined his junior year and I don't think he was ever the same.

Morris never developed into the type of player that he could have been. Auzibuike definitely fits better in an quick tempo type of offense. See his performance in the NBA. He is very athletic and has a decent shot, but isn't a great creator off the bounce which is necessary to be the primary option in a half-court style of offense. I really don't see what the gripe is here. I see no comparison.

 

Comparing the four players you are right, there are no comparisons. The 4 at UK are not better than those 4, nor would they had been no matter what coach was coaching. So I really don't see your point here either.

 

As for Rondo he had a good freshman year when he bought into the system. The Next year it just all went to heck. Could tell he didn't want to do the system anymore, and well the whole thing teammates.

 

Bogans had a great career while at UK. He lost confidence in his shot junior year no doubt. But he had a great senior year, and was the main reason for the succes of the 03 team. Him getting hurt killed the team in the elite 8

 

Morris-Yeah it took him awhile. But if you remember he really started to dominate the second half of the year his junior year. He single handily basically beat Nova in the first round for us. So he was turning into the player he could have been, but then he left once Tubby left.

 

Azubuike- I don't know why he is in this. I mean when he came here he was not a 5 star player I believe. He is a guy that developed while here until a very good player. He was not ready for the NBA, but did what was best for his family. If he stayed then he probably has a great senior year, and that 06 team is totally different.

 

So these players at UK that you mentioned were very good players and or turned into very good players. With the exception of Bogans, they all left early though, and two of them left before they should have. As has been mentioned Tubby really was not that bad of a recruiter, he had those two horrible classes of 03 and 05 though which really hurt him and the program. Which I admit should not have happened. Those two classes though make it look like Tubby always did bad at recruiting but not true. Guys leaving before they should, and I believe 3 Mcdonalds All Americans were kicked off during his time in Parker, Carruth, and Allison was he one? Maybe he should have been like most coaches and gave them third and fourth chances, but would we really want that for our program?

Clicked the link expecting to hear more about Tark's thoughts on UK and a Tubby fight had broke out! Man I love a knock down-drag out UK fight. Say what you will about a UK fan's mental stability, we all have opinions and they are always defended passionately! :taz:

 

That is the truth! :thumb:

I forget.

 

 

What's the topic of this thread...?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.