March 25, 200917 yr You really believe Pitino's thought process was, "I know he isn't cut out for the job, but he's a friend, so I'm going to make sure he gets it?" No but you have to admit, sometimes you don't see a friends faults or shortcomings. Especially, when it was a friend that worked under you. That could be a possibility am I wrong? :deadhorse:
March 25, 200917 yr Alot of recruiting services had Liggins as a SF. He is clearly no PG. I think we've all seen that. Porter is clearly not a PG and is only here because he's from Chuck Hayes' high school and was the coaches son. Favor for a favor. Jai Lucas, once again transferred from Florida because he 1) couldn't handle the job and Calathes had to play out of position and 2) got someone recruited over him. He would have helped, but how much? He was recruited by Billy G to be a pg, and be anyone seen him play here everyone was saying he will do great...Secondly Lucas didn't transfer cause he couldn't handle the job. He transferred cause he wanted to play the point more, instead of the two. Calathes as we seen is great with the ball in his hands, and so he handled it a lot. He did this year as well, he makes play. Lucas wanted to be the one who was running the point, because that is what he is best suited to do. If had him this team wouldn't be in the NIT most likely. He would have been a good ball handler, another threat from the outside, and someone who could penetrate and get in the lane. So yeah he would have helped out a lot! Not to mention he probably could have stuck these other little quick pgs better than anyone else we have on the team did.
March 25, 200917 yr He was recruited by Billy G to be a pg, and be anyone seen him play here everyone was saying he will do great...Secondly Lucas didn't transfer cause he couldn't handle the job. He transferred cause he wanted to play the point more, instead of the two. Calathes as we seen is great with the ball in his hands, and so he handled it a lot. He did this year as well, he makes play. Lucas wanted to be the one who was running the point, because that is what he is best suited to do. If had him this team wouldn't be in the NIT most likely. He would have been a good ball handler, another threat from the outside, and someone who could penetrate and get in the lane. So yeah he would have helped out a lot! Not to mention he probably could have stuck these other little quick pgs better than anyone else we have on the team did. You make good points. I know BCG recruited Liggins as a PG, I just think if a lot of services have him as a 3 you have to wonder a little bit. Am I wrong there? But, for instance LeBron is a 3, and he could play the point as well as anyone if need be. Lucas would have helped if he stayed. But, as seen with UF that is a big if. Am I wrong there? I'm not saying he wouldn't be an upgrade because lord knows that just about anyone on this board would likely be one with the ball handling mess we're in right now. Excellent points.:thumb:
March 25, 200917 yr Maybe because the two worked together. What did Rick have to lose? His legacy was set. How many of us wouldn't try to help a friend out for a good job? I've followed your thinking to a point on this thread but I think you've lost the perspective of 1997. Tubby was NOT JUST Pitino's friend/pupil. Tubby was one of the hottest commodities out there. He had been a huge success at Tulsa and led them to two (?) sweet 16 appearances. He even led them to a large upset of highly ranked UCLA. Tubby then took over a struggling Georgia squad and brought them to 2 NCAA tourney slots. In '96 they provided UK with their only SEC competition until the tourney. Then he took that squad to the Sweet 16 and barely lost to a Syracuse team that would end up in the title contest. In '97 he took Georgia to the finals of the SEC before another tourney bid. It appeared that Tubby was THE rising star of the coaching ranks in '97. Couple that with his UK connections and Pitino, plus Newton knew him well. UK didn't SETTLE for Tubby. He was the only one Newton wanted. Unlike the '89 hire of Pitino when UK went after Carlisiemo first and then Pitino.
March 25, 200917 yr I've followed your thinking to a point on this thread but I think you've lost the perspective of 1997. Tubby was NOT JUST Pitino's friend/pupil. Tubby was one of the hottest commodities out there. He had been a huge success at Tulsa and led them to two (?) sweet 16 appearances. He even led them to a large upset of highly ranked UCLA. Tubby then took over a struggling Georgia squad and brought them to 2 NCAA tourney slots. In '96 they provided UK with their only SEC competition until the tourney. Then he took that squad to the Sweet 16 and barely lost to a Syracuse team that would end up in the title contest. In '97 he took Georgia to the finals of the SEC before another tourney bid. It appeared that Tubby was THE rising star of the coaching ranks in '97. Couple that with his UK connections and Pitino, plus Newton knew him well. UK didn't SETTLE for Tubby. He was the only one Newton wanted. Unlike the '89 hire of Pitino when UK went after Carlisiemo first and then Pitino. Very valid points. I must admit, '97 does seem like a long time ago for this old man. UK did go after a rising star, I just don't think he was the best they could have gotten. I didn't then and obviously we see that now. Hindsight is 20/20 though. :thumb:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.