Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jerry Tarkanian's Thoughts On UK's Problems

Featured Replies

Who? Give us names ...

I think Calipari is a heck of a coach, too. But there are too a lot of UK fans who want to criticize him for everything but his coaching.

So what? In some ways, it's just as easy to recruit to Florida as it is Kentucky. The kids today, as a general rule, don't look at tradition and banners, etc., the kind of stuff that UK fans makes their program more special than the rest.

Again, you would have a heck of a debate with fans across the country about that. Kentucky fans tend to overrate their program's importance.

Winning is a better sign.

That reinforces my point. Those kinds of players aren't beholden to the so-called top programs ... they can surface anywhere.

 

Again, Kentucky isn't on a platform by itself, above all the rest. It's just one of a dozen or so elite-level programs and not far above the next wave.

Tubby preferred to keep guys for four years ... that is his right.

 

Bottom line ... since Kentucky wasn't in the top five every year on Tubby's watch, he was a failure. That's an impossible standard to live up to.

 

I don't have to give names. Who wouldn't have came? Just about anyone. It's not an open job. You don't get to apply. Tubby was hired here, IMO, because he previously worked here.

 

It wasn't easy to recruit to Florida when Billy D got there, especially on a top national level. Through hard work, he built that program up.

 

Well one of the top programs for wins and championships and have dominated their conference throughout history. Alot of teams could claim to be the best program but UK has as much right as the rest.

 

Until the last few years, top players didn't go to the likes of Kansas State or even Oklahoma. So I don't see your argument there. Players go to play for the program and the coach. And usually lottery picks play for winning teams. See Carmelo, DWade, Derrick Rose, Blake Griffin, and even players like Beasley and Mayo improved their teams greatly. Almost all top 5 picks that play college lead their teams to many, many wins and alot of the time Final Fours and Championships. So once again there goes that point.

 

If he wants 4 year players he is at the right place now. If you want to be a contender most years you better have some top tier players consistently. Only Prince fell into that category while at UK. I think in a different system Rondo and Auzibuike may have as well.

  • Replies 139
  • Views 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No. Tubby wasn't under real pressure until his teams were no longer ranked at all.

 

From the fans he was throughout his time! As I said many of my fellow UK fans were never happy with him here. Now actually under pressure for being fired, yeah that might not have came until his last two years. However the university obviously felt he had such a strong resume here, that he really had just then started to get on the hot seat a little. I mean its kind of funny that the people who do the hiring and stuff seemed to be just fine with Tubby throughout, and never a serious thought about firing him. However most of the fans bring up things from the whole ten years, acting like he should have been fired.

The problem is Billy G, is it not obvious? They have enough talent to make it the to NCAA tournament.

Doubtfully, I'm actually getting bored with it. I wish Tubs the best, and I'm glad he's gone. There really ain't much else to say about it.

 

I bet Kentucky fans are glad he is gone. I don't believe in his tenure in Lexington, the Cats missed the NCAA's now did they?

There are plenty of coaches that I would have liked to have had that aren't Pitino. I know it is unlikely to have a chance to win 3 straight titles ever again and I do miss Pitino being here. Plenty of people could have done a better job, and we should have had them, IMO. In 1998 we could have gotten anyone short of Dean Smith or Coach K IMO. We settled for Tubby just like we ended up settling for BCG. Tubby had his time and he left the program in a mess. What is so hard about that? The program was worse in 2007 than it was in 1998 that's not debatable. And Even if the '96 and '97 teams hadn't been to the finals I would be saying that. Tubby hurt UK more than he helped it. Sure not many, if anyone would have had UK on the special run that Pitino did, but to think that other coaches wouldn't have been able to keep UK as a perennial contender is insanity. How about Cal turning Memphis into a NBA factory and a legit threat to reach the final four year in and year out? What could he have done at UK? Billy Donavon who was suppose to be a candidate when Tubby got the job, though he was a little too inexperienced, built FLORIDA a FOOTBALL SCHOOL into a two time national champion. Don't give me that crap that they have been in two straight NIT's. Success is harder to sustain at UF, it's not a basketball hot-bed. Two straight titles at UK and Billy D would put together classes that would resemble the fab five. Tubby isn't the worst coach in the world, but to act like he was great, or even very good FOR UK questionable.

In the 90's the Cats were looked at as one of the most fun and coolest teams around. Kids wanted to play there. Tubby changed that. Only kids raised in KY dream of being here now and even that has started to change which also has to be contributed to BCG as well.

In short when Pitino left we needed to hit a home run, like UNC found when they got Roy Williams, thought they struck out with Doherty in between. Roy gets what Tar Heel Basketball is all about. He won't be the legend that Dean was, but UNC as a program is as strong as ever.

Tubby in no way shape or form was a home run. Though he didn't destroy the program, he certainly didn't maintain it either. UK basketball is worse on the whole for Tubby Smith tenure. Maybe we UK fans are harsh, but when you're spoiled that happens. If Tubby wanted to be embraced he should have really took the UK job by the horns. It is the best job in America when you are winning. Recruit your tail off, play a fun style. You can argue that his recruiting wasn't that bad, but how many lottery picks did he bring in? Those can make up for a lot of problems. All other major programs have made numerous ones over that period of time. That is something that really would have helped him out. We haven't had a lottery pick since '97 I believe.

 

Ok a few things:

 

1. We settled for Tubby? If we could have got any coach we wanted, then you think UK would have got the best guy they thought for the job right? Was C.M. Newton the guy who brought in Pitino? I pretty sure he is the one who hired Tubby as well. I mean I will trust the opinion over any of those guys who know a lot more about it, than you or anyone else. They went out and got the best guy for the job at the time in their opinion. So there was definitely no settling, they got who they wanted.

 

2. Your right the program was worse when Tubby left than when he took over. But lets see UK just came from two straight final appearances. So unless he left after making a final, then no matter what it would have been worse than when he got there. It basically impossible to even come close to being where the program was at the time. That run is something you don't see in basketball anymore really.

 

3. As for Billy D. First just like Tubby I think he is a great coach. However you seem to be all over this have to get Mcdonald All American type players. I could be wrong here but how many of those players on the two title teams for Billy D was All Americans? Was there any? I dont think Green, Humphrey, Brewer, or Noah was. Horford might have been but not even sure about him. You are on record on here saying stuff like well Tubby just got lucky with people like Chuck Hayes. So did Billy D just get lucky with that group of guys? I mean they weren't the Mcdonald All American type guys you keep talking about. So I guess it was just luck then right? I mean when he has had All Americans he has been missing NIT's and first round exits. So since it was just luck I guess, then we shouldn't want someone like him either here right going by what you say. :sssh:

 

4. In the 90's UK was looked at one of the coolest teams around, you were spoiled, and you saying play a fun style. These are all things that you just said, and support what I been saying. Just another unrealistic fan that really seriously can't get over Pitino not being here. You act like that is what UK basketball always has been. When its not true, as I said that 96-98 run was great but also bad cause spoiled fans in a bad way. Don't seem to realize we had bad teams in the 70's, and 80's and probably bad teams in earlier decades than that. That run in the 90's is not UK basketball, that is the exception not the rule for UK basketball...Also I love when people say a coach should play a fun style. I mean the most successful coach over the last 10 years is probably Jim Calhoun and I wouldn't say his style is a fun style at all. Another very successful coach over the time is Tom Izzo, another coach with what I wouldn't say is a fun style. Another example of people just not getting over Pitino. I know we all loved Pitino when he was here, and what he did. But he is gone, and time to get over it. Need to realize just because he did stuff like that doesn't mean that is Kentucky basketball.

 

5. We seriously could keep going back and fourth on this forever. I mean as you see I have plenty of stuff to come back with. So really no reason to continue this discussion. We both have our opinions on the subject and I sure its not going to change. So agreeing to disagree is the best we wil do on this subject.:thumb:

Doubtfully, I'm actually getting bored with it. I wish Tubs the best, and I'm glad he's gone. There really ain't much else to say about it.

 

I am actually bored with it too. We both know how we fill on the subject, so no reason to discuss it any further. Or take little shots to bring it up again.:thumb:

Ok a few things:

 

1. We settled for Tubby? If we could have got any coach we wanted, then you think UK would have got the best guy they thought for the job right? Was C.M. Newton the guy who brought in Pitino? I pretty sure he is the one who hired Tubby as well. I mean I will trust the opinion over any of those guys who know a lot more about it, than you or anyone else. They went out and got the best guy for the job at the time in their opinion. So there was definitely no settling, they got who they wanted.

 

2. Your right the program was worse when Tubby left than when he took over. But lets see UK just came from two straight final appearances. So unless he left after making a final, then no matter what it would have been worse than when he got there. It basically impossible to even come close to being where the program was at the time. That run is something you don't see in basketball anymore really.

 

3. As for Billy D. First just like Tubby I think he is a great coach. However you seem to be all over this have to get Mcdonald All American type players. I could be wrong here but how many of those players on the two title teams for Billy D was All Americans? Was there any? I dont think Green, Humphrey, Brewer, or Noah was. Horford might have been but not even sure about him. You are on record on here saying stuff like well Tubby just got lucky with people like Chuck Hayes. So did Billy D just get lucky with that group of guys? I mean they weren't the Mcdonald All American type guys you keep talking about. So I guess it was just luck then right? I mean when he has had All Americans he has been missing NIT's and first round exits. So since it was just luck I guess, then we shouldn't want someone like him either here right going by what you say. :sssh:

 

4. In the 90's UK was looked at one of the coolest teams around, you were spoiled, and you saying play a fun style. These are all things that you just said, and support what I been saying. Just another unrealistic fan that really seriously can't get over Pitino not being here. You act like that is what UK basketball always has been. When its not true, as I said that 96-98 run was great but also bad cause spoiled fans in a bad way. Don't seem to realize we had bad teams in the 70's, and 80's and probably bad teams in earlier decades than that. That run in the 90's is not UK basketball, that is the exception not the rule for UK basketball...Also I love when people say a coach should play a fun style. I mean the most successful coach over the last 10 years is probably Jim Calhoun and I wouldn't say his style is a fun style at all. Another very successful coach over the time is Tom Izzo, another coach with what I wouldn't say is a fun style. Another example of people just not getting over Pitino. I know we all loved Pitino when he was here, and what he did. But he is gone, and time to get over it. Need to realize just because he did stuff like that doesn't mean that is Kentucky basketball.

 

5. We seriously could keep going back and fourth on this forever. I mean as you see I have plenty of stuff to come back with. So really no reason to continue this discussion. We both have our opinions on the subject and I sure its not going to change. So agreeing to disagree is the best we wil do on this subject.:thumb:

 

1. Like I said, I think UK could have gotten just about anyone they wanted in '97. They wanted Tubby. I think he was an easy hire for them because they felt comfortable knowing that he had been here before.

 

2. You keep bringing up the same point here. Everyone knows that thinking your team is going to win the title every year is insane. When Tubby was here only once did I feel we legitimately had a shot at bringing the whole thing home, no matter what our record was or what our seed was. That was the year we were the overall #1. We all know how that worked out. When Tubby left we were no where close to Elite 8 potential let alone championship.

 

3. History lesson.......Your right about his title teams, the only All-America worthy one out of high school was 5-star Corey Brewer. He was a Mickey D's All American. But both Horford and Noah were highly recruited four stars. Noah's final schools were UF, UConn, Duke, and Indiana among others. Both players were very raw out of high school and were view as having tremendous upside. Brewer, Horford and Noah were all high draft picks.

Green was a three star as was Humphrey, while Maurice Speights was a very highly touted 4-star. Before that he had brought in highly rated (top 10 player) Anthony Roberson, highly rated shooter in Matt Walsh, and McDonalds All-Amerian and Slam Dunk champ David Lee. Also, Mario Boggan commited there, but had to go prep, so once again. So out of these players I would say he got lucky on Green. Everyone else was well scouted and they knew what they were getting. Horford was a little underrated, but his improvement really came between his sophomore and junior year. Those Gators had alot of talent, but playing behind Matt Walsh, Roberson, and Lee their freshman year people didn't know what to expect. If we could have talent like that I would never complain and neither would you.

 

4. I don't really care who the coach is. Just give me some one who

a. Loves and understands what UK basketball is

b. Understand what it takes to win big-time in college basketball

c. Someone who can bring us in some great players. I hate the fact that we have to wait 3 years for Jodie Meeks to be a really good scorer, or build Chuck Hayes up. Give us fans what all other legit teams have had in the past few years. A star. D-Wade, Carmelo, Griffin, Durant, OJ, Beasley, Derrick Rose, Hansborough, Reddick, Kevin Love, Greg Oden, Brandon Roy. Someone like that. Tayshaun, a defensive specialist, spot up shooter is the closest we've had in a long time. BTW, that is not a knock on Tayshaun. He is my overall favorite Cat of all-time.

It's not about Pitino, though he is a great coach. It's about a legit coach. Don't put Tubby in Izzo's class. Tom Izzo is one of the top handful of coaches in America. He is a slow it down guy, which hurts him bringing in top recruits IMO, but he is twice the coach that Tubby is.

 

5. Agreeing to disagree is as close as we will get . I just think that if UK wants to claim to be the best, they have to do more than that. We are a mediocre program right now. We need to win and if Memphis can do it (and don't tell me that C-USA is that much worse than the SEC, they are both pathetic B-Ball conferences) we should be able to as well. And Memphis wins alot of games playing one of the toughest non-conference schedules in America or atleast trying to.

1. Like I said, I think UK could have gotten just about anyone they wanted in '97. They wanted Tubby. I think he was an easy hire for them because they felt comfortable knowing that he had been here before.

 

2. You keep bringing up the same point here. Everyone knows that thinking your team is going to win the title every year is insane. When Tubby was here only once did I feel we legitimately had a shot at bringing the whole thing home, no matter what our record was or what our seed was. That was the year we were the overall #1. We all know how that worked out. When Tubby left we were no where close to Elite 8 potential let alone championship.

 

3. History lesson.......Your right about his title teams, the only All-America worthy one out of high school was 5-star Corey Brewer. He was a Mickey D's All American. But both Horford and Noah were highly recruited four stars. Noah's final schools were UF, UConn, Duke, and Indiana among others. Both players were very raw out of high school and were view as having tremendous upside. Brewer, Horford and Noah were all high draft picks.

Green was a three star as was Humphrey, while Maurice Speights was a very highly touted 4-star. Before that he had brought in highly rated (top 10 player) Anthony Roberson, highly rated shooter in Matt Walsh, and McDonalds All-Amerian and Slam Dunk champ David Lee. Also, Mario Boggan commited there, but had to go prep, so once again. So out of these players I would say he got lucky on Green. Everyone else was well scouted and they knew what they were getting. Horford was a little underrated, but his improvement really came between his sophomore and junior year. Those Gators had alot of talent, but playing behind Matt Walsh, Roberson, and Lee their freshman year people didn't know what to expect. If we could have talent like that I would never complain and neither would you.

 

4. I don't really care who the coach is. Just give me some one who

a. Loves and understands what UK basketball is

b. Understand what it takes to win big-time in college basketball

c. Someone who can bring us in some great players. I hate the fact that we have to wait 3 years for Jodie Meeks to be a really good scorer, or build Chuck Hayes up. Give us fans what all other legit teams have had in the past few years. A star. D-Wade, Carmelo, Griffin, Durant, OJ, Beasley, Derrick Rose, Hansborough, Reddick, Kevin Love, Greg Oden, Brandon Roy. Someone like that. Tayshaun, a defensive specialist, spot up shooter is the closest we've had in a long time. BTW, that is not a knock on Tayshaun. He is my overall favorite Cat of all-time.

It's not about Pitino, though he is a great coach. It's about a legit coach. Don't put Tubby in Izzo's class. Tom Izzo is one of the top handful of coaches in America. He is a slow it down guy, which hurts him bringing in top recruits IMO, but he is twice the coach that Tubby is.

 

5. Agreeing to disagree is as close as we will get . I just think that if UK wants to claim to be the best, they have to do more than that. We are a mediocre program right now. We need to win and if Memphis can do it (and don't tell me that C-USA is that much worse than the SEC, they are both pathetic B-Ball conferences) we should be able to as well. And Memphis wins alot of games playing one of the toughest non-conference schedules in America or atleast trying to.

 

Well I could easily list out 5 more statements back at you. But I really am getting tired of this discussion we are not going to change our opinion on anything...But a few quick things, UK was twice the #1 overall seed in the tournament 03 and 04 not just the one year. So I don't know how you only thought they could win it then. Also During Tubby tenure besides the last two years which were bad I admit. We were always one of the top 4 seeds in the region, maybe a 5 one year? Usually if you get one of the top 4 seeds in a region you have a pretty good shot at winning it all...As for Meeks taking three years, I hope you realize he didn't play really at all last year. When he did play he did a pretty darn good job scoring. So we don't know what kind of scorer he would have been last year, so bad example to throw that out there. So Brewer was a 5 star guy, I thought for sure he was only 4 star but I will take your word for it. I just find it funny that you say that Tubby got lucky on Hayes, and think you even said Prince before in another thread. Then can say well that was smart to get those guys for Billy D. I mean Horford was a 4 star, and well so was Sheray Thomas wasn't he? I mean so it was smart by them, and not lucky? I mean you cant have it both ways man. If you say one thing to put one person down, then you must think same thing about the other. It kinda just goes with what I been saying, that it really wouldn't matter what Tubby did. People when judging things he did dont judge him fairly, because never wanted him here. I mean you say one thing, but then when it comes to others its not luck its just smart recruiting. By the way you bring up all these highly ranked players Billy D brought in but whats your point? I mean as I pointed out when he has had these highly rated 5 star guys, he has had first week exits and NIT appearances. So maybe he really was just lucky with those guys going by what you say about things. Don't get me wrong I think Billy D is a great coach too, but I just saying if you thought Tubby got lucky on people like that, then you really need to think that Billy D was just lucky with his title teams, because with this 5 star players he hasn't done much...And wow you got me to still post another long thing. As I said before we can keep going back and fourth on this or just stop now and be done with it. We basically are not getting anywhere with this. We both going to still think the same way in the end.

Well I could easily list out 5 more statements back at you. But I really am getting tired of this discussion we are not going to change our opinion on anything...But a few quick things, UK was twice the #1 overall seed in the tournament 03 and 04 not just the one year. So I don't know how you only thought they could win it then. Also During Tubby tenure besides the last two years which were bad I admit. We were always one of the top 4 seeds in the region, maybe a 5 one year? Usually if you get one of the top 4 seeds in a region you have a pretty good shot at winning it all...As for Meeks taking three years, I hope you realize he didn't play really at all last year. When he did play he did a pretty darn good job scoring. So we don't know what kind of scorer he would have been last year, so bad example to throw that out there. So Brewer was a 5 star guy, I thought for sure he was only 4 star but I will take your word for it. I just find it funny that you say that Tubby got lucky on Hayes, and think you even said Prince before in another thread. Then can say well that was smart to get those guys for Billy D. I mean Horford was a 4 star, and well so was Sheray Thomas wasn't he? I mean so it was smart by them, and not lucky? I mean you cant have it both ways man. If you say one thing to put one person down, then you must think same thing about the other. It kinda just goes with what I been saying, that it really wouldn't matter what Tubby did. People when judging things he did dont judge him fairly, because never wanted him here. I mean you say one thing, but then when it comes to others its not luck its just smart recruiting. By the way you bring up all these highly ranked players Billy D brought in but whats your point? I mean as I pointed out when he has had these highly rated 5 star guys, he has had first week exits and NIT appearances. So maybe he really was just lucky with those guys going by what you say about things. Don't get me wrong I think Billy D is a great coach too, but I just saying if you thought Tubby got lucky on people like that, then you really need to think that Billy D was just lucky with his title teams, because with this 5 star players he hasn't done much...And wow you got me to still post another long thing. As I said before we can keep going back and fourth on this or just stop now and be done with it. We basically are not getting anywhere with this. We both going to still think the same way in the end.

 

Well I only threw out those statements in response to yours. I don't care if they were a 1 seed or not. Many times a team is ranked highly that you just about know they won't win the title? What about when Saint Joe's was a high seed? The difference in Horford and Thomas is Horford was scouted to have a very high ceiling, a potential NBA starter Ceiling. Remember, though his Dad played in the NBA, Al spent alot of his childhood in his Native Dominican Republic. He was a raw talent, an athletic specimen. What was Sherray Thomas' scouting report? Did anyone tink he'd be in the NBA?

If anything Sheray Thomas would show Tubby's bad luck, which is comparable to the battle UK and UF had for Muhamad Abukar who ended up..... well who even knows where he ended up.

I don't see how Billy D was lucky on his title teams. Those teams had talent, everyone knew that when they were being recruited. Just because you hadn't heard of Horford or Noah, doesn't mean that no one else has.

And I've watched more UK games in my life than I could begin to count, so I know Jodie was hurt last year. If you think he'd have scored 25 ppg last season or anywhere close that is you right, I just don't think he would have. Which we had Bradley and Crawford last year to put up shots as well, so of course he wouldn't score as much.

As for long post I could care less. You don't have to respond. The point of this thread is what you think about Tarkanians thought on UK's problems. I gave my thoughts, which is we were left with no PG's for this year other than Jasper who left. People complained. You get this long series of arguments. This was not a tournament roster this year, which is both Tubby and BCG's fault. Being only BCG's second year I think OTS has to get more of the blame, what is so hard about that? We have one senior....Jared Carter. We have no PG. We have really very few guards period that are on scholarship. Porter, Meeks, Liggins(sort of) and Galloway. OTS left 3 guards for this year if you count Jasper, which I do. That is terrible.

Well I only threw out those statements in response to yours. I don't care if they were a 1 seed or not. Many times a team is ranked highly that you just about know they won't win the title? What about when Saint Joe's was a high seed? The difference in Horford and Thomas is Horford was scouted to have a very high ceiling, a potential NBA starter Ceiling. Remember, though his Dad played in the NBA, Al spent alot of his childhood in his Native Dominican Republic. He was a raw talent, an athletic specimen. What was Sherray Thomas' scouting report? Did anyone tink he'd be in the NBA?

If anything Sheray Thomas would show Tubby's bad luck, which is comparable to the battle UK and UF had for Muhamad Abukar who ended up..... well who even knows where he ended up.

I don't see how Billy D was lucky on his title teams. Those teams had talent, everyone knew that when they were being recruited. Just because you hadn't heard of Horford or Noah, doesn't mean that no one else has.

And I've watched more UK games in my life than I could begin to count, so I know Jodie was hurt last year. If you think he'd have scored 25 ppg last season or anywhere close that is you right, I just don't think he would have. Which we had Bradley and Crawford last year to put up shots as well, so of course he wouldn't score as much.

As for long post I could care less. You don't have to respond. The point of this thread is what you think about Tarkanians thought on UK's problems. I gave my thoughts, which is we were left with no PG's for this year other than Jasper who left. People complained. You get this long series of arguments. This was not a tournament roster this year, which is both Tubby and BCG's fault. Being only BCG's second year I think OTS has to get more of the blame, what is so hard about that? We have one senior....Jared Carter. We have no PG. We have really very few guards period that are on scholarship. Porter, Meeks, Liggins(sort of) and Galloway. OTS left 3 guards for this year if you count Jasper, which I do. That is terrible.

 

Wow so much stuff I could respond to. But I will stick with whats at the very bottom. Since its a little bit new to our discussion...Anyways no pg on this years team. Hmmm didn't we get a 5 star pg in Liggins, and aren't these 5 star guys that you always keep saying we should be getting. Shouldn't they be able to start on a team, and make a difference? Tubby is not the one who is not starting talent and starting Porter instead. Also when Tubby left he left Jasper, Bradley, and Porter all pgs. The other guards were Crawford and Meeks. Tubby was recruiting a 5 star pg in Jai Lucas, who by most reports was going to declare to UK at the McDonalds All star game. So there is another pg, and well who knows who he would have brought in this year. So once again its just funny to hear you still blaming Tubby, and given him the most credit for the failure of this team. I mean if he was here we don't know what players this team would have. However I can be pretty confident in saying if he had this exact team, I bet we make the big dance cause we have the talent to make it. I mean Billy G has two recruiting classes here, so you think he would have been able to bring guys to start over the terrible Tubby recruits you talk about. Yet Billly G is still starting Tubby's guys. So unless Billy G is calling Tubby and asking for advice on who should be playing, then its Billy G's fault for this season and missing the tournament. Its just funny to hear you say Tubby gets most of the blame for this year. Just shows that people let their hate of Tubby cloud their judgement on things. (By the way I know Tubby was not perfect, there were things I know he needed to do better. But this whole argument is because he is not as bad as a lot of you all made him out to be.)

Wow so much stuff I could respond to. But I will stick with whats at the very bottom. Since its a little bit new to our discussion...Anyways no pg on this years team. Hmmm didn't we get a 5 star pg in Liggins, and aren't these 5 star guys that you always keep saying we should be getting. Shouldn't they be able to start on a team, and make a difference? Tubby is not the one who is not starting talent and starting Porter instead. Also when Tubby left he left Jasper, Bradley, and Porter all pgs. The other guards were Crawford and Meeks. Tubby was recruiting a 5 star pg in Jai Lucas, who by most reports was going to declare to UK at the McDonalds All star game. So there is another pg, and well who knows who he would have brought in this year. So once again its just funny to hear you still blaming Tubby, and given him the most credit for the failure of this team. I mean if he was here we don't know what players this team would have. However I can be pretty confident in saying if he had this exact team, I bet we make the big dance cause we have the talent to make it. I mean Billy G has two recruiting classes here, so you think he would have been able to bring guys to start over the terrible Tubby recruits you talk about. Yet Billly G is still starting Tubby's guys. So unless Billy G is calling Tubby and asking for advice on who should be playing, then its Billy G's fault for this season and missing the tournament. Its just funny to hear you say Tubby gets most of the blame for this year. Just shows that people let their hate of Tubby cloud their judgement on things. (By the way I know Tubby was not perfect, there were things I know he needed to do better. But this whole argument is because he is not as bad as a lot of you all made him out to be.)

 

Alot of recruiting services had Liggins as a SF. He is clearly no PG. I think we've all seen that.

Porter is clearly not a PG and is only here because he's from Chuck Hayes' high school and was the coaches son. Favor for a favor. Jai Lucas, once again transferred from Florida because he 1) couldn't handle the job and Calathes had to play out of position and 2) got someone recruited over him. He would have helped, but how much?

I guess I'll have to ask again...If UK had to "settle" for Tubby back in 1998, why did Pitino recommend him for the job?

I guess I'll have to ask again...If UK had to "settle" for Tubby back in 1998, why did Pitino recommend him for the job?

 

Maybe because the two worked together. What did Rick have to lose? His legacy was set. How many of us wouldn't try to help a friend out for a good job?

Maybe because the two worked together. What did Rick have to lose? His legacy was set. How many of us wouldn't try to help a friend out for a good job?

 

You really believe Pitino's thought process was, "I know he isn't cut out for the job, but he's a friend, so I'm going to make sure he gets it?"

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.