Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pitino Warned UK fans.....

Featured Replies

Even if BCG turns out not to be the right choice it was time for Tubby to move on.

 

I agree, I know it has been discussed in other threads, but why not even take a glance at other coaches a couple years back? :idunno:

  • Replies 50
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coach Pitino said that and he was right. Majority of Kentucky fans wanted to get rid of Tubby and no we are paying the price. Wonder if any of those fans would take him back now? Truth is we have Billy G now and let him do his job within time this team will win. And besides if he somehow wins the SEC Tourney (no I don't think he will) all of Kentucky will love him again.

There is enough talent on the team to be a top 25 team and compete for the SEC title.

 

I agree, 100%.

 

It's very simple, Billy G just isn't a good basketball coach. If Tubby Smith is coaching this team, they have at least 4 more wins, maybe even more, they are ranked, they wouldn't be on a 4 game losing streak and lost 8 out of 11, they have a legitimate chance at winning the SEC title, and make a run for at least the Sweet 16 in the big dance.

I agree, 100%.

 

It's very simple, Billy G just isn't a good basketball coach. If Tubby Smith is coaching this team, they have at least 4 more wins, maybe even more, they are ranked, they wouldn't be on a 4 game losing streak and lost 8 out of 11, they have a legitimate chance at winning the SEC title, and make a run for at least the Sweet 16 in the big dance.

 

How many times in the history of college basketball has a coach been the coach of the year in two of the 6 major conferences in consecutive years?

Pitino said it would set UK back 10 years not 5 years...

 

If (and it's a big IF) Meeks and Patterson come back they will have been set back 1 year. The thing is everyone has gone through this more recently than UK. UK fans were not happy w/ Tubby b/c he was no longer getting enough good players yet they hammer BCG and he's stuck using a lot of the guys that made the fans unhappy. It's crazy.

  • Author
If (and it's a big IF) Meeks and Patterson come back they will have been set back 1 year. The thing is everyone has gone through this more recently than UK. UK fans were not happy w/ Tubby b/c he was no longer getting enough good players yet they hammer BCG and he's stuck using a lot of the guys that made the fans unhappy. It's crazy.

 

UK fans stayed mad at Tubby because they didn't play a face pace game. As for his recruiting he always found guys that fit his style.

 

The current coach has only brought in Patterson that can be considered a stud. I am sure Galloway and Liggins both can play but for some reason this man like running kids off. I will bet one of these kids will leave, if not both.

UK fans stayed mad at Tubby because they didn't play a face pace game. As for his recruiting he always found guys that fit his style.

 

The current coach has only brought in Patterson that can be considered a stud. I am sure Galloway and Liggins both can play but for some reason this man like running kids off. I will bet one of these kids will leave, if not both.

 

To be fair, he is ahead of the game for the most part in the upcoming recruiting seasons.

UK fans stayed mad at Tubby because they didn't play a face pace game. As for his recruiting he always found guys that fit his style.

 

The current coach has only brought in Patterson that can be considered a stud. I am sure Galloway and Liggins both can play but for some reason this man like running kids off. I will bet one of these kids will leave, if not both.

I agree with your thinking that there will be transfers.

 

I would think that Kevin Galloway has no transfer options. He played at USC, then transferred to a Junior College, and then played this season at Kentucky. If he were to transfer it would have to be to a Georgetown College like NAIA school.

 

DeAndre Liggins would have three years of eligibility left and I would think he will take Billy Clyde's hint and move on.

Edited by strongopenyon

Didn't U of L go to the NCAA final 4, then go to the NIT final 4 the next year? Things happen.. Bily needs another recruiting class and especially the 2010 class.

 

Are you serious! You are comparing the two "programs". Not even close. Yeah recent success or lack there of is a different story. That has a lot to do with the coach(s). If UK ends up in the NIT, I personally think that is a major step backwards for UK. I would hope they decline the invite and do a gut check on where they stand as team and program. Not that the players or coach are all that, but for the program.

 

I'm with you, I think you have to give a coach a few years, but it better change next year or they will keep recycling coaches every 3/4 years or so. You can't keep starting over. When will UK become the dominate program they once were? Who knows but I'm for one am tired of all the Home loses.

Tubby was also sinking the program. The team was in almost he exact same shape Tubby's last year as Kentucky is in this year and was in last. The thing Tubby had going for him was that he was a solid behind the scenes coach and made his players better by practicing and perfecting the small things. However, toward the end for the first time while at Kentucky his players were just not responding to what he was wanting to do. I don't see anything being that much better if Tubby were around today, maybe a couple wins such as at Ole Miss, VMI, etc. scratched off but thats about the only thing I could see changed. Tubby had no one on the radar and wasn't even close on any of the 08' recruits. He had all of his eggs in the Willie Warren basket and obviously WW was never as keene on Kentucky as many of us hoped he was. The fact we wiffed on him twice kind of solidifies that.

 

I see the argument and I understand it, however, all I am saying is I doubt much would be changed if Tubby was here this season instead of Billy G. Next year will be the tell tell year, BCG deserves a third year and he should get it and see if he can finally put a team on the floor that thrives with the pressure on. Right now other than a couple Kentucky is filled with numerous choke artists who can't live up to the pressure of living up to Kentucky's legacy.

Pitino told UK fans if you run off Tubby Smith you will set your program back 5 years. Looks as if he was right.

 

Before anyone tells me the team has no talent, I want to say that is crap. He recruited kids to play his style.

 

Tubby left the following kids were on the team;

 

Crawford

Meeks

Bradley

Morris (Could have come back one more year)

Porter

Harris

Jasper

 

He was actively recruiting Patterson and Lucas.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:............( someone goes presenting facts again:D and also, no matter how bad some want to say he wasn't, Patterson was coming to U.K. and all BCG did was visit and confirm that he wanted him as well. :D:lol:)

 

I will say that I believe that BCG will not be going anywhere for now and that imo to run another coach off now would really put a black eye on the program, it's fans and administration. I am as frustrated and dissapointed as anyone else but he is our coach for now and probably will be for at least a couple more years. I hope that BCG can get things straightened out and he is here for a long time.

BCG deserves a third year and he should get it and see if he can finally put a team on the floor that thrives with the pressure on. Right now other than a couple Kentucky is filled with numerous choke artists who can't live up to the pressure of living up to Kentucky's legacy.

 

I agree that BCG deserves at least another year, what I am afraid of (and hope I am wrong) is the BCG may be the "Choke Artist" who can't live up to the pressures and legacy at Kentucky.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:............( someone goes presenting facts again:D and also, no matter how bad some want to say he wasn't, Patterson was coming to U.K. and all BCG did was visit and confirm that he wanted him as well. :D:lol:)

 

I will say that I believe that BCG will not be going anywhere for now and that imo to run another coach off now would really put a black eye on the program, it's fans and administration. I am as frustrated and dissapointed as anyone else but he is our coach for now and probably will be for at least a couple more years. I hope that BCG can get things straightened out and he is here for a long time.

 

So you are all jazzed up because Smith was leaving behind 6 quality players including Porter and Harris? You can't count Morris he was out the door so fast he didn't finish the spring semester.

I agree that BCG deserves at least another year, what I am afraid of (and hope I am wrong) is the BCG may be the "Choke Artist" who can't live up to the pressures and legacy at Kentucky.

 

Could be, but he certaintly needs one more year at least. Hes a relentless recruiter something Tubby was not. Kids now days just arent that adament about coming and wearing the blue and white, in Tubby's situation he's like oh well can't make them come if they don't want to, however, Billy has the drive to actually push some of these kids and make them feel like they need to come to Kentucky.

 

 

I agree whole heartedly that BCG has had very questionable in game management whether it being play sets, style of play, and players who are on the court in certain rotations, but theres more to it than that. So far it has looked like he has made a fool of himself and showed he was just not ready to take over a tradition steeped and high expectation program such as Kentucky. It even comes off sometimes as if he don't try that hard, I know many posters make that assumption when talking about in game coaching. However, when watching any of the all-access shows whether it being a spot on college gameday, or anything on the Big Blue Sports network, you'll see that Billy really pushes these guys in practice and he works hard at coaching these young men. Joe Crawford stated in a magazine article that he and Ramel Bradley would sit in the vehicle everyday and debate before practice whether or not they were just going to say forget it and quit the team. He said there was a point in which he absolutely hated coming to practice because they were just so intense, but afterwards he said he has the utmost respect for Coach Gillespie and that he is/was his favorite coach that he has ever played for and that he loves him as a mentor to this day.

 

 

So with that said, I can't say Gillespie can't handle the pressure of being at Kentucky without at least seeing what he can do with another year and with a few more of "his" guys.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.