Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What's Really Going On With The Wildcats?

Featured Replies

  • Author
From the way I heard it, Wireman.

 

They were jawwing at eachother and whatnot, and it's easy to do when things aren't going well. Gillispie let it happen because he felt that would help them and bring them closer and realize the importance of playing as a team in teh long run, from the way I understood it.

 

It wasn't really like a hate fest, but more of being upset after a loss and a string of losses.

 

I think that is what happened after the game last night, but there might be a few deeper issues that have been lingering most of the season. Hopefully this next week will give them a chance to patch things back together and become a team again.

  • Replies 60
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the South Carolina loss Gillispie said that his team was not tough. I was always told that when you point a finger at someone you have three pointing back at you.

 

Maybe this could be part of the issue.

Sometimes things can't be "fixed" without a blowup. Sometimes when people get mad enough and they start speaking what is really on their minds, you have more of an idea of what you are faced with and can start working on the issues. Get it out in the open, don't let it fester anymore. I like the fact he let them go. Get things off your chest. Get everyone to take a look at themselves. If there are problems, they are all not going away this late in the season, but you can start to work on them and get some resolved.

  • Author
Sometimes things can't be "fixed" without a blowup. Sometimes when people get mad enough and they start speaking what is really on their minds, you have more of an idea of what you are faced with and can start working on the issues. Get it out in the open, don't let it fester anymore. I like the fact he let them go. Get things off your chest. Get everyone to take a look at themselves. If there are problems, they are all not going away this late in the season, but you can start to work on them and get some resolved.

 

 

My hopes are that he can now see the issues and find a way to get everyone back on the same page and working towards the same goals. I agree that sometimes it is better to get everything out in the open and then work on a resolution. A good scenario would be that they get it worked out and come back stronger than ever.

I think they are actually roommates, if I'm not mistaking.

They are. I think they get along fine. The unfortunate thing is that I do not think they are very complementary players. Patterson needs two things- a good stand still 3-point shooter (not Jodie) and a guy who can drive & dish to take advantage of Patterson's outstanding positioning skills (not Jodie)

  • Author
They are. I think they get along fine. The unfortunate thing is that I do not think they are very complementary players. Patterson needs two things- a good stand still 3-point shooter (not Jodie) and a guy who can drive & dish to take advantage of Patterson's outstanding positioning skills (not Jodie)

 

So in other words, they need a PG that can hit a shot and drive and dish. I agree.

So in other words, they need a PG that can hit a shot and drive and dish. I agree.

To be honest, since it is already late to get in on the good point guards, if I were BCG, I'd be trying to get someone who can get open and hit wide open 3-pointers (not necessarily a point guard, though). Liggins has shown the ability to drive and dish when he doesn't have to do too much. I believe next year he will limit the turnovers (provided there are scorers around him).

 

I'm not expecting much (because I'd assume Jodie is gone) but if Jodie stays, next year we could have: an offensive rebounder & shot blocker in Stevenson, a post scorer & passer in Patterson, a guy who can score off the dribble in Jodie, a tall athletic point guard who can distribute the ball in Liggins, and I want the 5th guy to be a shooter.

 

If we can get a shooter, that will mean we could have Galloway, Miller, Orton, Viliairno all of the bench. We would have a largely experienced starting line-up and a very, very athletic, young bench. The way college teams should be.

He asked me not to name players, but apparently there are a few loose cannons in the lockerroom that are really screwing up the team's chemistry. He said that there are behind the scenes reasons why certain people aren't getting as many minutes as you might think they should. He said that there is also the sense of a little jealousy from a few after Meeks started getting alot of national attention.

 

From everything I've heard, it sounds as if this team is headed to Team Turmoil II.

 

Oh yeah, I think the highlight of the story for me was when he told me that after the game last night, they were really going at each other in the lockerroom. He said he looked over in the background and BCG was watching and smiling. I found that to be interesting, but not surprising.

 

DISCLAIMER: This is from a friend of mine that is close to the program and he is NOT a banker :thumb:

 

Sounds like it's from KSR, unless your friend works there. This is the exact same story they are reporting.:lol:

So in other words, they need a PG that can hit a shot and drive and dish. I agree.

Correcto! That would solve a lot of problems immediately, and maybe some of the tension.

 

And Billy Clyde needs to chill out a little. He has these kids wound so tight that they can't play relaxed. They play like they're scared to death of making a mistake. When one plays that tense, that's when mistakes are made, and leads to not being able to hit the side of a barn with a ball.

Maybe this team just isn't as good as some thought. If Meeks doesn't score 54, I don't think they beat Tennessee. They struggled to beat Florida Atlantic. They beat Vandy without Oglivy. I think Kentucky's just been playing with fool's gold and the mine isn't as rich as some think.

Who can blame Patterson I've said all along Meeks was a ball hog who went for his at his teammates expense I got bashed when I said it originally but anyone notice he is still taking his 17 shots a game in this skid and even though he's taking the same amount of shots his production is down.

Ballhogs don't score 54 points on 22 shots. He might not be shooting enough!

 

Jodie Meeks is a player who is depended on to score and score often on this team of limited offensive ability.

So in other words, they need a PG that can hit a shot and drive and dish. I agree.

 

Bingo! Michael Porter gives 110%, but in watching the game last night, every time (but once) he brought the ball down court, he stopped short of the 3 point line. Miss. State backed off of him and guarded UK guys in the paint, didn't gaurd Porter, and gave him any 3 point shot he wanted.

We need a point guard bad!

What's wrong with this team? Maybe the better question is what's RIGHT with this team?

 

A) We have a starting point guard who would be fortunate to be a BACKUP point guard on any other top-25 type of team.

 

B) We do not have a single player outside of Jodie Meeks who is a perimeter scoring threat, or a threat to drive & get to the basket.

 

C) We have a coach who seems to prefer the long & lanky player who can get very little accomplished offensively--especially from the perimeter (see Liggins, Miller, Galloway).

 

D) We have a coach who has yet to figure out how to defend a spread offense/4-around-1 that has beaten us three consecutive games.

 

E) We have a coach who scoffs at the need for a consistent third scorer, and opts for the "Third Scorer By Committee" mentality, which has gotten us nowhere.

 

F) We have a program that, for the 4th straight year, has not been anywhere close to being in the Final Four conversation (which is an indictment on both Tubby & Billy).

 

G) We have nothing arriving in the future to address ANY of our scoring needs.

 

We're in shambles right now, and there is nothing on the radar indicating we'll be anything but that in the near future.

  • Author
Sounds like it's from KSR, unless your friend works there. This is the exact same story they are reporting.:lol:

 

I saw that on another site but my friend is not associated with them in any way. He actually does work for the Big Blue Sports Network and is also at the majority of practices and lockerrooms. Thanks for laughing though :thumb:

What's wrong with this team? Maybe the better question is what's RIGHT with this team?

 

A) We have a starting point guard who would be fortunate to be a BACKUP point guard on any other top-25 type of team.

 

B) We do not have a single player outside of Jodie Meeks who is a perimeter scoring threat, or a threat to drive & get to the basket.

 

C) We have a coach who seems to prefer the long & lanky player who can get very little accomplished offensively--especially from the perimeter (see Liggins, Miller, Galloway).

 

D) We have a coach who has yet to figure out how to defend a spread offense/4-around-1 that has beaten us three consecutive games.

 

E) We have a coach who scoffs at the need for a consistent third scorer, and opts for the "Third Scorer By Committee" mentality, which has gotten us nowhere.

 

F) We have a program that, for the 4th straight year, has not been anywhere close to being in the Final Four conversation (which is an indictment on both Tubby & Billy).

 

G) We have nothing arriving in the future to address ANY of our scoring needs.

 

We're in shambles right now, and there is nothing on the radar indicating we'll be anything but that in the near future.

 

You've summed it up pretty good. The present, and future, sure does look bleak.

I talked to a former high school coach at the All A Sunday, and he said almost exactly the same thing you said in your post. BCG likes long, lanky players. He doesn't make much effort on a true point guard. UK's big problem is no PG. Heck, they backed off Porter all night long last night and gave him open 3's, which he rarely took.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.