Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Top 5 coaches in the 9th region.

Featured Replies

Henley is an amazing coach I know first hand. I agree that there is plenty of talent in Covington, but that is not the only reason Henley keeps winning 9th region championships. He pushes you to play lock down defense and work the ball for good looks. Once again the Johnson brothers are from Covington, not Cincinnati. I have never seen Holmes get a player from Cincinnati since I've been watching them and that goes back to 89. I think you would be hard pressed to find one. Holmes talent comes from the inner city of Covington. If you look futher into this you will see more kids from Holmes feeder system leave for Cincinnati. I have two relatives that left to play in Ohio because of football. This has been happening to Newport and Holmes every since I could remember.

Amen!

 

That was my understanding as well. The only exception that I am aware of was a big kid from the Hebron area whose Mom was a teacher at Holmes that attended specifically for the prestegious Baccularate program. I can't remember his name but he went Ivy league for academics and not athletics.

  • Replies 66
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only question is do you think Henley and Listerman would be able to compete year in and year out without the talent they usually have. I think Henley might be able to, but this year Listerman hasn't fared well. That's the reason I like the coaches such as Faust, Goetz, Hicks, etc... Don't get me wrong Henley and Listerman have to be near the top because they do win almost every year and deserve to be recognized, but just something to ponder on...:popcorn:

Goetz has done nothing to prove he is a top 5 coach. From what I've seen in the past he is struggling at HC.

 

I disagree he has been competitive in his four years of coaching in the toughest district in the 9th region with usually the #1 and #2 seed in the region. He hasn't made it to the region yet but his first and second year they were ranked in the top 5 going into districts, they just had to play either the #1 or #2 in first round of districts.

My only question is do you think Henley and Listerman would be able to compete year in and year out without the talent they usually have. I think Henley might be able to, but this year Listerman hasn't fared well. That's the reason I like the coaches such as Faust, Goetz, Hicks, etc... Don't get me wrong Henley and Listerman have to be near the top because they do win almost every year and deserve to be recognized, but just something to ponder on...:popcorn:

Coach Henley does get some incredible talent but he consistently deals with off court issues that few have to. He has done an amazing job since he has been at Holmes.

Coach Henley does get some incredible talent but he consistently deals with off court issues that few have to. He has done an amazing job since he has been at Holmes.

 

Without a doubt he does have to deal with major issues year in and year out off of the court and that makes a good coach, no questions. My only question would he have as good of teams with less talent?

I disagree he has been competitive in his four years of coaching in the toughest district in the 9th region with usually the #1 and #2 seed in the region. He hasn't made it to the region yet but his first and second year they were ranked in the top 5 going into districts, they just had to play either the #1 or #2 in first round of districts.

 

Outside of Listerman and CovCath having this bad year, can you tell me which of these 5 coach I listed you would replace with Goetz? I haven't been impressed but I shouldn't have said he's not a good coach. Becaue your right he probably is a good one. But he's not a top 5 in the 9th.

Outside of Listerman and CovCath having this bad year, can you tell me which of these 5 coach I listed you would replace with Goetz? I haven't been impressed but I shouldn't have said he's not a good coach. Becaue your right he probably is a good one. But he's not a top 5 in the 9th.

 

I'd probably replace him with Listerman from Cov Cath just because I don't think Listerman could be competitive with some of the teams Goetz has had. Of couse that's just my opinion for what it's worth :lol:....The other coaches are very well deserving and you can't put Goetz ahead of them yet, but I think by the time he's done coaching he will be amongst the tops. Remember this is only his fourth year coaching varsity.

Amen!

 

That was my understanding as well. The only exception that I am aware of was a big kid from the Hebron area whose Mom was a teacher at Holmes that attended specifically for the prestegious Baccularate program. I can't remember his name but he went Ivy league for academics and not athletics.

 

Are you talking about Fischer? I thought he went to UK.

Saw this thread for a different region thought it'd be interesting to see what people say.

 

1. Henley - Holmes

2. Faust - St. Henry

3. Listerman - CovCath

4. McQueary - Boone County

5. Mullins - Ryle

 

 

Just to start things ^^^^

 

I don't think there's any way McQueary is in here. Can you do less with more talent year in and year out than Boone? I'd probably question Mullins as well. The first three are right on though. I would say follow those three up with Schlarman and Goetz.

Saw this thread for a different region thought it'd be interesting to see what people say.

 

1. Henley - Holmes

2. Faust - St. Henry

3. Listerman - CovCath

4. McQueary - Boone County

5. Mullins - Ryle

 

 

Just to start things ^^^^

 

I agree with Henley and Faust - although I would probably switch the order. I disagree with Listerman and Mullins. McQueary has good players, the question is.....Are they good because of McQueary or does McQueary look good because of his players????

Saw this thread for a different region thought it'd be interesting to see what people say.

 

1. Henley - Holmes

2. Faust - St. Henry

3. Listerman - CovCath

4. McQueary - Boone County

5. Mullins - Ryle

 

 

Just to start things ^^^^

 

Way to many top notch coahes in this region to list McQueary in the top 5. He would not be in the top ten in this region.

IMO: There is really only four top coaches in the 9th. They are:

 

Henley-Holmes

Faust-St. Henry

Listerman-CovCath

Hicks-Conner

A good young coach to watch over the next few years is Tim Sullivan @ Cooper. Give him a few years to build the program and I believe he will start producing very competitive teams. He has gotten many of his coaching philosophies from coaching with some of the best programs in the state @ Mason Co. and Holmes and incorporates some tough defensive ideas that he got from coach Riley @ Warren Central. Keep an eye on him, he knows what it takes to win, is great with the kids and kids want to play for him.

A good young coach to watch over the next few years is Tim Sullivan @ Cooper. Give him a few years to build the program and I believe he will start producing very competitive teams. He has gotten many of his coaching philosophies from coaching with some of the best programs in the state @ Mason Co. and Holmes and incorporates some tough defensive ideas that he got from coach Riley @ Warren Central. Keep an eye on him, he knows what it takes to win, is great with the kids and kids want to play for him.

He is a former Henley assistant right?

 

I think one of the best measures of a coach is not only how their players do, but also how their former assistants do when they come into their own (see Tony Dungy & the NFL). While this can be difficult to see & gauge at the high school level, Sullivan's success could be testimony to not only his own ability but Henley's as well.

A good young coach to watch over the next few years is Tim Sullivan @ Cooper. Give him a few years to build the program and I believe he will start producing very competitive teams. He has gotten many of his coaching philosophies from coaching with some of the best programs in the state @ Mason Co. and Holmes and incorporates some tough defensive ideas that he got from coach Riley @ Warren Central. Keep an eye on him, he knows what it takes to win, is great with the kids and kids want to play for him.

 

Totally agree. :thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.