Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Top 5 coaches in the 9th region.

Featured Replies

Tim Sullivan played @ Holmes under Mike Flynn and Tim Riley was an assistant coach there. Coach Riley was completely in charge of the defense at that time before heading to Warren Central. Tim played point guard @ Brescia College in Owensboro. He graduated from there and briefly coached @ Brescia after graduation. He went into the business world but decided he wanted to teach and coach instead. He coached under Jeff Trame @ Holy Cross before taking the St Patrick head coaching job for one year in the 10th region. He accepted an assistant coaching position @ Mason County hoping he could get a shot at the head coaching job down the road. When a spot opened up for him @ Holmes he decided he wanted to coach back near his home in the 9th region. Cooper High started up and he landed the head coaching position there.

Edited by EZ Living

  • Replies 66
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim Sullivan played @ Holmes under Mike Flynn and Tim Riley was an assistant coach there. Coach Riley was completely in charge of the defense at that time before heading to Warren Central. Tim played point guard @ Brescia College in Owensboro. He graduated from there and briefly coached @ Brescia after graduation. He went into the business world but decided he wanted to teach and coach instead. He coached under Jeff Trame @ Holy Cross before taking the St Patrick head coaching job for one year in the 10th region. He accepted an assistant coaching position @ Mason County hoping he could get a shot at the head coaching job down the road. When a spot opened up for him @ Holmes he decided he wanted to coach back near his home in the 9th region. Cooper High started up and he landed the head coaching position there.

 

The bolded part is wrong. He did coach under Jeff Trame, but it was at Scott not Holy Cross.

 

Tim did a great job with the freshman team at Scott.

Amen!

 

That was my understanding as well. The only exception that I am aware of was a big kid from the Hebron area whose Mom was a teacher at Holmes that attended specifically for the prestegious Baccularate program. I can't remember his name but he went Ivy league for academics and not athletics.

 

Ryan Fischer.

 

Younger sister Patrice played basketball for Holmes until her soph year then transferred to Boone to be closer to home.

As for the few who think a lot of Henley's success has to do with the talent he has year in and year out, I think you might want to take a look at his resume:

 

Head coach for Osceola Kowboys (Perennial powerhouse out of FL)

Assistant coach for Duquense University

Assistant coach for Murray State University (5 years)

Assistant coach for Team Florida's 19u National runner up AAU team

Coached future NBA player Mike James who played for the Pistons 04' championship team

 

Henley's teams are successful because he flat out knows how to coach and develop the talent he has. You can have all the talent in the world, but if that talent isn't willing to work hard and buy in to what the coach is teaching, they'll never be successful.

 

I find it somewhat comical that just because Henley's teams have excelled the past 4 or 5 years, all of a sudden it's because of the talent and not his coaching. See the Jefferson, Hill, and Rice 07' senior class. That's some of Henley's finest work and it's reflected on last year and this years' teams. Henley is hands down one of the top 2, if not THE top coach in nky.

 

Also one of the classiest coaches you'll ever meet and speak to.

Faust

Hicks

Henly

Goetz

Steiner(know not in this region but can coach)

As for the few who think a lot of Henley's success has to do with the talent he has year in and year out, I think you might want to take a look at his resume:

 

Head coach for Osceola Kowboys (Perennial powerhouse out of FL)

Assistant coach for Duquense University

Assistant coach for Murray State University (5 years)

Assistant coach for Team Florida's 19u National runner up AAU team

Coached future NBA player Mike James who played for the Pistons 04' championship team

 

Henley's teams are successful because he flat out knows how to coach and develop the talent he has. You can have all the talent in the world, but if that talent isn't willing to work hard and buy in to what the coach is teaching, they'll never be successful.

 

I find it somewhat comical that just because Henley's teams have excelled the past 4 or 5 years, all of a sudden it's because of the talent and not his coaching. See the Jefferson, Hill, and Rice 07' senior class. That's some of Henley's finest work and it's reflected on last year and this years' teams. Henley is hands down one of the top 2, if not THE top coach in nky.

 

Also one of the classiest coaches you'll ever meet and speak to.

 

I totaly agree. I played against Henley back in 2001. My brother played against Holmes from 2002-2005. Coach lives pretty close and I'll run into him every once in awhile. He still says how are you and your brother doing. Still ask about some of the guys I used to play with. He is a good man and very good coach.

 

I think it helps that talent that he has, but I think Henley is in the same coaching catagory that Faust, Hicks, Schlarman, and Code are in. No matter the talent level they will always get the best out of there kids. Thats just the way they are. It comes from when they all were players.

I totaly agree. I played against Henley back in 2001. My brother played against Holmes from 2002-2005. Coach lives pretty close and I'll run into him every once in awhile. He still says how are you and your brother doing. Still ask about some of the guys I used to play with. He is a good man and very good coach.

 

I think it helps that talent that he has, but I think Henley is in the same coaching catagory that Faust, Hicks, Schlarman, and Code are in. No matter the talent level they will always get the best out of there kids. Thats just the way they are. It comes from when they all were players.

 

:thumb:

Henley is an amazing coach I know first hand. I agree that there is plenty of talent in Covington, but that is not the only reason Henley keeps winning 9th region championships. He pushes you to play lock down defense and work the ball for good looks. Once again the Johnson brothers are from Covington, not Cincinnati. I have never seen Holmes get a player from Cincinnati since I've been watching them and that goes back to 89. I think you would be hard pressed to find one. Holmes talent comes from the inner city of Covington. If you look futher into this you will see more kids from Holmes feeder system leave for Cincinnati. I have two relatives that left to play in Ohio because of football. This has been happening to Newport and Holmes every since I could remember.

 

Holmes does play good defense, but when everyone in your starting line up is 6'2 and up and are as athletic as anybody in the state it isn't that hard to be a good defensive team. The 9th region does not have any outstanding players except for a few on Holmes. It is hard to judge their defense because they don't exactly play great teams in the 9th region.

Holmes does play good defense, but when everyone in your starting line up is 6'2 and up and are as athletic as anybody in the state it isn't that hard to be a good defensive team. The 9th region does not have any outstanding players except for a few on Holmes. It is hard to judge their defense because they don't exactly play great teams in the 9th region.

 

Go look at who Holmes has played thus far in the season. They have played more games against the 7th and 11th than they have in the 9th. IMO you can tell a good coach by the way his teams plays defense, and how fundamentality sound they are on offense. Henley's team plays lockdown defense and they work the ball to the open man on offense. This team has Henley's prints all over it. Holmes program was on hard times before Henley showed up. Now it might be 4 out of 5 9th region championship. Holmes will more than likely be the top dog in the 9th for the next 3 to 4 years, so this story is still being written. IMO when it's said and done Henley will not only be a good coach, he will be a great one.

Holmes does play good defense, but when everyone in your starting line up is 6'2 and up and are as athletic as anybody in the state it isn't that hard to be a good defensive team. The 9th region does not have any outstanding players except for a few on Holmes. It is hard to judge their defense because they don't exactly play great teams in the 9th region.

 

Holmes only has 3 players over 6'2 in their starting lineup. (J. Johnson 6'4, R. Johnson 6'5, Pittman 6'7). Riley is 6'0 and D. Johnson/Housely are both right around 6'2. Holmes actually only has 5 players total over 6'2 on their roster. (6'3 Willie Slusher and 6'6 Kevon Arnold being the other two)

 

As far as their defense looking good because they don't play against any good 9th region competition, what games have you been watching this season? They held Ballard to 42 points (lowest output of the season), Scott Co to 65 points (lowest output of the season...16 below average), Bryan Station to 56 points (second lowest output of the season), I could keep going on but I think you get the point. Holmes is a good defensive team REGARDLESS of the competition they're against. They held 3 of the top 8 teams in the state to their lowest outputs all year while also beating them.

 

Henley's defensive scheme has become Holmes' trademark.

So I like Henley, think he is a good coach, super calm guy it looks like. But that calm demeanor TOTALLY must be his personality, because he came to my work today and another day and was dry as can be to talk to.

So I like Henley, think he is a good coach, super calm guy it looks like. But that calm demeanor TOTALLY must be his personality, because he came to my work today and another day and was dry as can be to talk to.

 

Sounds like Dave. :lol:

 

He has a very dry sense of humor but is actually a pretty funny guy. Just a real laid back, chill kind of fella.

Sounds like Dave. :lol:

 

He has a very dry sense of humor but is actually a pretty funny guy. Just a real laid back, chill kind of fella.

 

 

By dry, I meant boring lol. But yeah, I can see that he might have that kind of humor, pretty laid back.

By dry, I meant boring lol. But yeah, I can see that he might have that kind of humor, pretty laid back.

 

Yea if you knew him personally, you'd understand it a little better. :cool:

Henley, Listerman, Schlarman and Faust almost have to be there based on their track record. For slot number 5 I like Chevalier, especially with the job he is doing this year. Shumate is definitely up and coming.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.