Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky 26 Tennessee 20

Featured Replies

I was tickled to see Harlan County's Cody Ison #50 on the O-line. The QB's had plenty of time to pass. I didn't see Nate Gilliam #48 but twice. I had hoped he would have gotten a touch or two to showcase his speed. Hunter Adams from Middlesboro really played great! I watched it on the computer so I couldn't see everything too well.

  • Replies 84
  • Views 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow...It was ccccccc-old! I'm taking the advise of my mentor, LN, and thawing out with a good shot or two of his "special tonic". CONGRATS and THANK YOU to the BORDER BOWL COMMITTEE and THE NATIONAL GUARD. What a first class event they staged! From the banquet to the game, it seemed to have that Highlands flavor. Ex-Bluebird greats Marty Moore and Gino Guidugli were the banquet speakers and current Bluebird greats Adam Dempsey, Oliver Head, and baby-brother "MR MVP" Tony Guidugli were standouts in the game. I know O-Line coach, Bruce "Wizard of Koz" Kozerski, from Holy Cross, was concerned about his line's ability to pass block. They all were great run blocker's and in 3 short days, the Wizard developed them into a pretty tight pass blocking unit(s). Well done Coach! Especially since 1st team all-state OL Adam Dempsey chose to play Defense!! And at defensive tackle...a spot HHS doesn't play. All he did was bag the games MVP for KY defense. And a late addition to the roster, Oliver Head, got to showcase his offensive skills as a wide out/RB and found the end zone. And Mr. 15...or as we were saying "It's TONY-TIME!!", was the big difference maker in the game. Throwing, running, scrambling, improvising...he just made it happen...just like the state finals! Zach "ATTACK" Eagler of Boone also had a VERY nice game. He was in on MANY tackles. Kudos also go out to the TN kick returner...man that cat can fly!! Any one who gets a chance to participate in this event should JUMP at the opportunity. It was really a great 4 days for the boys!! Congrats to ALL involved

Both played well on defense.

 

Thanks for the info. :thumb:

 

and.............Way To Go Kentucky!!!!!!:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa

Congrats to every kid that played in the game.

Wow...It was ccccccc-old! I'm taking the advise of my mentor, LN, and thawing out with a good shot or two of his "special tonic". CONGRATS and THANK YOU to the BORDER BOWL COMMITTEE and THE NATIONAL GUARD. What a first class event they staged! From the banquet to the game, it seemed to have that Highlands flavor. Ex-Bluebird greats Marty Moore and Gino Guidugli were the banquet speakers and current Bluebird greats Adam Dempsey, Oliver Head, and baby-brother "MR MVP" Tony Guidugli were standouts in the game. I know O-Line coach, Bruce "Wizard of Koz" Kozerski, from Holy Cross, was concerned about his line's ability to pass block. They all were great run blocker's and in 3 short days, the Wizard developed them into a pretty tight pass blocking unit(s). Well done Coach! Especially since 1st team all-state OL Adam Dempsey chose to play Defense!! And at defensive tackle...a spot HHS doesn't play. All he did was bag the games MVP for KY defense. And a late addition to the roster, Oliver Head, got to showcase his offensive skills as a wide out/RB and found the end zone. And Mr. 15...or as we were saying "It's TONY-TIME!!", was the big difference maker in the game. Throwing, running, scrambling, improvising...he just made it happen...just like the state finals! Zach "ATTACK" Eagler of Boone also had a VERY nice game. He was in on MANY tackles. Kudos also go out to the TN kick returner...man that cat can fly!! Any one who gets a chance to participate in this event should JUMP at the opportunity. It was really a great 4 days for the boys!! Congrats to ALL involved

 

Thanks for the summary DMZ. Did the kids have to miss any school for this event?

My biggest concern was the number of players on the team and the playing time for the players. There were several players that did not get in the game for a single play and there were others that were only on special teams. I know that it is important for the coaches to win, but this was suppose to be a game where it would show case the players on the team to college coaches to view the players. Why did this happen where a lot of players did not even enter the game after making the team and some of those on the team were only on special teams and not ever touching the ball. I suggest that every player be given equal playing time or lower the numbers on the roster. Why should a kid be subject to all the hype and practice and never enter the game? I know personally of a few players that had great seasons that never had the opportunity to show what they could on the field. I know the answer. I was there and was there last year, but this is what I have noticed the past two years.

 

I agree there are too many players on the roster. It was a great honor to be on the team. There were college scouts at every practice watching the boys show thier stuff. There is no way to get the kids equal playing time. Half the Kentucky roster played running back in high school. Many were needed on defense and still there were 5 kids playing running back and 4 more playing the slot/running back position yesterday.

Wow...It was ccccccc-old! I'm taking the advise of my mentor, LN, and thawing out with a good shot or two of his "special tonic". CONGRATS and THANK YOU to the BORDER BOWL COMMITTEE and THE NATIONAL GUARD. What a first class event they staged! From the banquet to the game, it seemed to have that Highlands flavor. Ex-Bluebird greats Marty Moore and Gino Guidugli were the banquet speakers and current Bluebird greats Adam Dempsey, Oliver Head, and baby-brother "MR MVP" Tony Guidugli were standouts in the game. I know O-Line coach, Bruce "Wizard of Koz" Kozerski, from Holy Cross, was concerned about his line's ability to pass block. They all were great run blocker's and in 3 short days, the Wizard developed them into a pretty tight pass blocking unit(s). Well done Coach! Especially since 1st team all-state OL Adam Dempsey chose to play Defense!! And at defensive tackle...a spot HHS doesn't play. All he did was bag the games MVP for KY defense. And a late addition to the roster, Oliver Head, got to showcase his offensive skills as a wide out/RB and found the end zone. And Mr. 15...or as we were saying "It's TONY-TIME!!", was the big difference maker in the game. Throwing, running, scrambling, improvising...he just made it happen...just like the state finals! Zach "ATTACK" Eagler of Boone also had a VERY nice game. He was in on MANY tackles. Kudos also go out to the TN kick returner...man that cat can fly!! Any one who gets a chance to participate in this event should JUMP at the opportunity. It was really a great 4 days for the boys!! Congrats to ALL involved

 

Sounded like a great time! I think we all knew what Ollie Head could do offensively:thumb: Great to hear he got the opportunity.

All the players were told up front they were not guranteed playing time. They used the first few practices to evaluate the players and name the starters. Again I was impressed with the way the game was ran and how the players were treated during the week, truly like superstars.

Is it true that Deron Hicks from Franklin County returned a punt some 50 yards for a touchdown?

 

Is that who returned the kick? He did an OUTSTANDING job bobbing and weaving his way through traffic, got some great blocks early to develop a crease and was off to the races! One man to beat, but Adam Dempsey bulldozed him and Deron waltzed into the end zone. His smile was then permanently implanted on his face! Derons' teammate, 2nd team all state O-lineman Oakley Watkins, (6'4" / 275 lbs.) had a superior day anchoring the O-line. The Franklin boys were represented VERY WELL! :ylsuper:

Thanks for the summary DMZ. Did the kids have to miss any school for this event?

 

The boys missed 3 days. But I've got to give major props to the Ft. Thomas Administration as they are counting those days as "excused" absences under a "special event" category. There are "in school" learning opportunities and "out of school" learning opportunities...even though it was athletic in nature, melding with young men from different backgrounds and learning to use teamwork for a common goal will serve all the boys well in life.

Ryan Williams 28 yards on 6 carries! I was hoping to see Ryan work with a good O-Line. Wish he had gotten more carries so he could have shown his blinding speed in the open field.

Ryan Williams 28 yards on 6 carries! I was hoping to see Ryan work with a good O-Line. Wish he had gotten more carries so he could have shown his blinding speed in the open field.

 

The ONLY blazing speed exhibited was the TN kick returner. It was NOT a "fast track". Frozen field made for tentative footing for the backs...alot of slippage on both sides. Blaming the line is warrantless...and suspect on class. I'm sure Ryan had ample opportunity during the season to exhibit his speed...that's probably why he was honored with the selection to the team!

Change of direction was definitely a problem for both teams. The ground was frozen and quick stops and adjusting to passes was a problem.

 

As for the OL, I don't know how much better you could get. The Kentucky QB's had an absurd amount of time to pass. The Kentucky OL/DL was superior to the Tennessee OL/DL, that was a big difference in the game to me. Both teams had good speed, both had good LB's and DB's. But, two big differences was the Kentucky OL/DL and the Tennessee Punter.

 

Tennessee's OL/DL was bigger, but Kentucky's OL/DL was better.

An outdoor game in January? Why now? Why not March?

 

They play in January because National Signing begins in February and they want to showcase these boys for that. Having said that, showcasing these boys means they should let everyone play! The point of this is not winning. I believe there were several boys that didn't get off the sidelines. It's always good to beat Tennessee, but not when it can cost these young men a chance at a scholarship. Check the website it's for showcasing these young men, of course they are going to play hard to beat TN but everyone on the team would do that. I'm guessing some folks traveled a pretty long way for this I hope their kid got to play. In my opinion that is ridiculous! Either the roster needs to be smaller or everyone needs to play. I figure his is only the 2nd year and they have to work the kinks out so I expect this problem to get resolved down the road and make this game even better. I really enjoyed the game! Everything but the playing time was done exceptionally well. Good Job! I hope this continues.

Having said that, showcasing these boys means they should let everyone play! The point of this is not winning. I believe there were several boys that didn't get off the sidelines. It's always good to beat Tennessee, but not when it can cost these young men a chance at a scholarship. Check the website it's for showcasing these young men, of course they are going to play hard to beat TN but everyone on the team would do that. I'm guessing some folks traveled a pretty long way for this I hope their kid got to play. In my opinion that is ridiculous! Either the roster needs to be smaller or everyone needs to play. I figure his is only the 2nd year and they have to work the kinks out so I expect this problem to get resolved down the road and make this game even better.

 

Uncle read post 53.

 

More college coaches were in attendance during the week of practice than at the game, so everyone got a chance to "showcase" their abilities in practice.:thumb: The way I understand it D-1 schools are not able to recruit in person right now.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.