Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cawood Ledford Who?

Featured Replies

I dont know, maybe because he is one of the most legendary radio broadcasters in history?? It's not just that he did UK basketball for so many years, he was THE voice of the Final Four for years. He also did the Kentucky Derby, the World Series, and even a little Muhammad Ali. The bottom line is if you are a Basketball player, you know who Bill Russel is. If you are a football player, you know who Bart Starr is. If you are a baseball player, you know who Roger Maris is. If you are a sports radio host, you have to know who Cawood Ledford is.

 

:thumb:

  • Replies 43
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My son's middle name is Cawood after Cawood Ledford. I know that is hard to believe because of my absolute and utter dislike for Gillespie, but Cawood is Kentucky.

If you look for reasons to be offended, you will always find them...

If you look for reasons to be offended, you will always find them...

 

Totally off subject, but if somebody could get this through my wife's head, I'd be a whole lot better off.

  • Author
If you look for reasons to be offended, you will always find them...

 

I personally wasn't offended, people love to assume and attack others based on what they believe.

 

I just found it odd that they wouldn't know, I think I have made this pretty clear, as well as others.

I dont know, maybe because he is one of the most legendary radio broadcasters in history?? It's not just that he did UK basketball for so many years, he was THE voice of the Final Four for years. He also did the Kentucky Derby, the World Series, and even a little Muhammad Ali. The bottom line is if you are a Basketball player, you know who Bill Russel is. If you are a football player, you know who Bart Starr is. If you are a baseball player, you know who Roger Maris is. If you are a sports radio host, you have to know who Cawood Ledford is.

Totally agree ! If you know about the history of Kentucky Basketball & horseracing (both of which our state is nationally known for), how could you not know who Cawood Ledford is, or at the very least have heard of him?

Edited by The Cerebral Assassin
spelling

Back in the late 60s I started to listen to the Cats on radio and watch the games on TV. I did it all most every game when I could....wasn't my idea a UK buddy of mine thought of it. I did it because of Cawood.

 

Also did the Cards too. Van Vance is also a great guy.

Totally agree ! If you know about the history of Kentucky Basketball & horseracing (both of which our state is nationally known for), how could you not know who Cawood Ledford is, or at the very least have heard of him?

 

Probably because Mike and Mike did not grow up in, around or even near UK and Kentucky. :D

 

Just for the record, can you recall who these people are/were?

 

Red Barber

Mel Allen

Grantland Rice

 

?

I'd say they knew who Ledford was, they are both Jokes really-but so is all of ESPN's radio hosts other than SVP, Freddie Coleman and John Seibel and Big Orestes. I wouldn't look too much into it. Greenberg does SportsCenter as well, he's not a true Radio Broadcaster. And Golic is as about as smart as my 8 year old brother about sports.

You can say what you want about my wife and my kids, but when you bash Cawood mister, you've gone tooooooooooooo far!!!

 

 

Wow you sound like a UK fan.

Totally off subject, but if somebody could get this through my wife's head, I'd be a whole lot better off.

 

I think that our wives are related.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

 

Exactly.

 

I would have been more shocked if they would have known who Ledford was.

 

They should know for the same reason that a casual sports fan in Kentucky (me) knows who Chic Hearn (Radio LA Laker Voice), Johnny Most (old Boston Celitic Radio Voice), Munson (former Ga Radio voice), Ward and Kessling (UT Radio voices), are.

 

If this is your profession, you would think that they would know. At almost every final four, they would flash a picture of Cawood on screen and note who he was and how long he had been doing it.

 

I'm not offended by their little skit. But I am surprised that they aren't more in tune with the history of their profession, they are after all radio guys (even though part of their show is on TV).

They should know for the same reason that a casual sports fan in Kentucky (me) knows who Chic Hearn (Radio LA Laker Voice), Johnny Most (old Boston Celitic Radio Voice), Munson (former Ga Radio voice), Ward and Kessling (UT Radio voices), are.

 

If this is your profession, you would think that they would know. At almost every final four, they would flash a picture of Cawood on screen and note who he was and how long he had been doing it.

 

I'm not offended by their little skit. But I am surprised that they aren't more in tune with the history of their profession, they are after all radio guys (even though part of their show is on TV).

I am not. Again, they are entertainers first and foremost. Knowing their subject comes second. I do not think a "casual" sports fan knows the guys you mentioned, including Ledford. I guarantee a majority of sports journalists have no idea who Ledford is. Is that bad? That is up for debate. I would say there are some names all journalists should know. Like most, whomever your contemporaries are, those are the ones you will be in tune with and remember.

 

I knew Munson and Hearn but not the other two; and I consider myself more than a "casual" fan.

I am not. Again, they are entertainers first and foremost. Knowing their subject comes second. I do not think a "casual" sports fan knows the guys you mentioned, including Ledford. I guarantee a majority of sports journalists have no idea who Ledford is. Is that bad? That is up for debate. I would say there are some names all journalists should know. Like most, whomever your contemporaries are, those are the ones you will be in tune with and remember.

 

I knew Munson and Hearn but not the other two; and I consider myself more than a "casual" fan.

 

I can't believe you don't know Most, one of the most famous calls in history "Havlicheck stole the ball, Havlicheck stole the ball!" I guess I'm showing my age :D

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.