January 16, 200917 yr I dont know, maybe because he is one of the most legendary radio broadcasters in history?? It's not just that he did UK basketball for so many years, he was THE voice of the Final Four for years. He also did the Kentucky Derby, the World Series, and even a little Muhammad Ali. The bottom line is if you are a Basketball player, you know who Bill Russel is. If you are a football player, you know who Bart Starr is. If you are a baseball player, you know who Roger Maris is. If you are a sports radio host, you have to know who Cawood Ledford is. I think radio is the key. I grew up 5 miles from Mr. Ledford's farm and had the pleasure of meeting him twice. You will find few bigger fans of him than I am, but having lived in many different places I can see how many people wouldn't know him. Side note, his wife still lives in the same house about 2 mins from my in-laws...she too is a wonderful person.
January 16, 200917 yr Author I knew the whole segment was a joke, but them not knowing who Ledford was, was not a joke. They honestly didn't know and I guess I'm biased but they should know, he wasn't just some announcer, he was the voice for many many broadcasts for many many years.
January 16, 200917 yr Look, no one loved Cawood anymore than I. He was a great guy to know who had a fantastic sense of humor and was all business on the job. However, it's been 17 years since Cawood did a broadcast. He did do 18 Final Fours and deservedly so but also remember that Jim Host communications owned the rights for those broadcasts. Who else would Host have hired? Think about it. Also remember that the golden age of radio broadcasts for any venue is behind us. Name 5 other radio broadcasters that you know of? We grew up with Cawood (or Claude Sullivan for the very mature in our group ) but the people in Illinois and New York did not. Cawood is well known and this network radio discussion by Mike and Mike is starting to take on that typical UK filter that we Wildcat fans are often derided for. (How can anyone not know our greatness!)
January 16, 200917 yr Look, no one loved Cawood anymore than I. He was a great guy to know who had a fantastic sense of humor and was all business on the job. However, it's been 17 years since Cawood did a broadcast. He did do 18 Final Fours and deservedly so but also remember that Jim Host communications owned the rights for those broadcasts. Who else would Host have hired? Think about it. Also remember that the golden age of radio broadcasts for any venue is behind us. Name 5 other radio broadcasters that you know of? We grew up with Cawood (or Claude Sullivan for the very mature in our group ) but the people in Illinois and New York did not. Cawood is well known and this network radio discussion by Mike and Mike is starting to take on that typical UK filter that we Wildcat fans are often derided for. (How can anyone not know our greatness!) :thumb::thumb::thumb: Exactly. I would have been more shocked if they would have known who Ledford was.
January 16, 200917 yr I knew the whole segment was a joke, but them not knowing who Ledford was, was not a joke. They honestly didn't know and I guess I'm biased but they should know, he wasn't just some announcer, he was the voice for many many broadcasts for many many years. :thumb:
January 16, 200917 yr Maybe I am not giving him enough credit, but why would they know who Ledford was? The whole segment was meant as a joke. As soon as he said that I thought, "How many emails did they just get from UK fans?" I'm a UK fan, but I'm in the minority, I'm one w/ a sense of humor.
January 16, 200917 yr Well us Kentucky people don't think its that funny to not know who Cawood Ledford is. People like him, Bill Keightly, Adolph Rupp, and so many others represent what is special about Kentucky basketball. I realize that and 100% agree. I just don't read alot into this, I don't think they (Mike & Mike) meant any disrespect at all by it. As others have said, imo they were joking around.
January 16, 200917 yr Mike and Mike are pretty bad at what they do, and their ignorance of sports history is striking. Real media people who cover sports know these kinds of things... these two guys don't. Instead, one of them can't stop talking about how great the Jets are and that other one can't get beyond the topic of Notre Dame football for very long.
January 16, 200917 yr Mike and Mike are pretty bad at what they do, and their ignorance of sports history is striking. Real media people who cover sports know these kinds of things... these two guys don't. Instead, one of them can't stop talking about how great the Jets are and that other one can't get beyond the topic of Notre Dame football for very long. Actually I would say it is the complete opposite of that. I am not doubting that they are not sports gurus, but the nature of sport's talk radio (and sport's coverage in general) today is to be first and foremost entertaining to the audience. Breaking down the 7th inning of last night's Royals game or knowing the 5 greatest NY Ranger goaltender's of all time is not moving any numbers. In thinking about any of ESPN's radio personalities (which is the tops in sports), I would guess very few knew of Ledford - I bet Mike Tirico does.
January 16, 200917 yr Mike and Mike are pretty bad at what they do, and their ignorance of sports history is striking. Real media people who cover sports know these kinds of things... these two guys don't. Instead, one of them can't stop talking about how great the Jets are and that other one can't get beyond the topic of Notre Dame football for very long. Sounds like you have listen to Mike and Mike for about 2 mins total ever. How many "real media" people do you think could name every radio broadcaster for every college? It's extremely arrogant of UK fans to think that everyone in the media should know everything about UK basketball.
January 16, 200917 yr Sounds like you have listen to Mike and Mike for about 2 mins total ever. How many "real media" people do you think could name every radio broadcaster for every college? It's extremely arrogant of UK fans to think that everyone in the media should know everything about UK basketball. Like I said earlier, Cawood was NOT just UK basketball...
January 16, 200917 yr Author Hatz, I think we are on the same page but seeing it a little differently, you keep asking us as in the members of BGP if we would know who these people were that you keep asking about, in fact I haven't heard of many of them, however, I don't proclaim to be a broadcaster and it is no disrepect to Mike and Mike other than I'm just shocked that they didn't know considering they are indeed BROADCASTERS. If they were talking about who the greatest actress in the 90's was and they didn't mention Ashley Judd, I wouldn't be upset because they are not actors, I hope you see my point. Also, people who keep saying that we as UK fans are being arrogant thinking that we expect everyone to know everything UK, well that it is not by gripe, I don't expect them to, I just expect a broadcaster to recongize at least the name of a broadcast legend. I still enjoy listening to Mike and Mike, but I expected more from them.
January 16, 200917 yr Hatz, I think we are on the same page but seeing it a little differently, you keep asking us as in the members of BGP if we would know who these people were that you keep asking about, in fact I haven't heard of many of them, however, I don't proclaim to be a broadcaster and it is no disrepect to Mike and Mike other than I'm just shocked that they didn't know considering they are indeed BROADCASTERS. If they were talking about who the greatest actress in the 90's was and they didn't mention Ashley Judd, I wouldn't be upset because they are not actors, I hope you see my point. Also, people who keep saying that we as UK fans are being arrogant thinking that we expect everyone to know everything UK, well that it is not by gripe, I don't expect them to, I just expect a broadcaster to recongize at least the name of a broadcast legend. I still enjoy listening to Mike and Mike, but I expected more from them. We are. I don't expect more from them simply because of the 2 only Greenie is someone who was trained in journalism/broadcasting. Even at that, there is no guarantee you know everyone. I majored in Broadcasting at EKU and was in radio for 10 years. Still, I didn't/don't know that many radio broadcasters beyond my window frame and region. Cawood was a broadcasting legend but still no one has named any radio personalities that would have fit his description that are likewise lengendary. For example: Red Barber, Mel Allen, Vin Scully; are all names that many of you probably know. But they broadcasted in the major metropolitan markets of this nation for professional baseball. I live in ACC land and when I mention Marty Brenneman people here only know him as a one time voice of ACC basektball game of the week, not as the Reds announcer. None of them no that Al Michaels first big break came with the Reds Radio Network. It's all relative.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.