January 14, 200917 yr You may be right on the conditioning, but the only drawback to that is that if/when they lose early season games, they need to lose to a better quality opponent. This year it was just VMI as UNC, Miami, and UL are all respectable, but that 86 RPI for VMI is going to hover around the 100 range where it would then be considered a really bad loss. I'll take an opening game loss to VMI, if I can beat Tennessee, on their home court, by nearly 20 points.
January 14, 200917 yr Is it just me or does BCG's teams look like night vs. day when the conference games start? It's as if we all of a sudden have a normal rotation, our offense is set and it looks like we're totally in synch and all of sudden we just crack down on defense. Its almost like he just let's them play pickup ball in the pre-conference schedule and then implements plays and schemes when SEC play starts. I looked up at one point in the 2nd half and they were running a 3-man weave at the top of the key last night. Did anyone else happen to notice that? About 5 times, they melted the shot clock down to about 3 seconds and then hit a big shot. Its like a totally different team now.
January 14, 200917 yr I do think it is evidence of the great shape BCG gets his team in. I think thats a very under appreciated part of BCGs coaching. It seemed Pearl was having to pull guys out to let them rest while Meeks and Patterson just kept playing. Meeks and Pat both played 39 minutes and Porter played 33. For UT Smith had 35 minutes and Chism played 30. Everyone else was 27 or fewer.
January 14, 200917 yr I looked up at one point in the 2nd half and they were running a 3-man weave at the top of the key last night. Did anyone else happen to notice that? They ran that several times during the OOC schedule too.
January 14, 200917 yr They ran that several times during the OOC schedule too. They ran it better last night.
January 14, 200917 yr Is it just me or does BCG's teams look like night vs. day when the conference games start? It's as if we all of a sudden have a normal rotation, our offense is set and it looks like we're totally in synch and all of sudden we just crack down on defense. Its almost like he just let's them play pickup ball in the pre-conference schedule and then implements plays and schemes when SEC play starts. I looked up at one point in the 2nd half and they were running a 3-man weave at the top of the key last night. Did anyone else happen to notice that? About 5 times, they melted the shot clock down to about 3 seconds and then hit a big shot. Its like a totally different team now. I think his #1 focus at the beginning is getting his team in shape, because last year and now this year, his teams look to be in better shape than their opponents. I can't help but wonder if he doesn't sacrifice some other stuff to work on conditioning in the early stages and the result is some sloppy play early in the season with TO's and bad losses to teams like VMI and GW. And, to be honest, I can't help but wonder if BCG even cares that much about early season losses no matter who they're against. If his goal is to get their attention, break them down and build them back up, a loss to teams like VMI and GW would certainly help.
January 14, 200917 yr I think his #1 focus at the beginning is getting his team in shape, because last year and now this year, his teams look to be in better shape than their opponents. I can't help but wonder if he doesn't sacrifice some other stuff to work on conditioning in the early stages and the result is some sloppy play early in the season with TO's and bad losses to teams like VMI and GW. And, to be honest, I can't help but wonder if BCG even cares that much about early season losses no matter who they're against. If his goal is to get their attention, break them down and build them back up, a loss to teams like VMI and GW would certainly help. I agree. He tears them down and then rebuilds it his way. They are in top condition - both mentally and physically. This is a pretty tough team and they are still improving.
January 14, 200917 yr They ran it better last night. I agree, but you also said... Its almost like he just let's them play pickup ball in the pre-conference schedule and then implements plays and schemes when SEC play starts. So the weave was always in there, he didn't just break it out for conference play. Not a big deal, just pointing it out.
January 14, 200917 yr I agree. He tears them down and then rebuilds it his way. They are in top condition - both mentally and physically. This is a pretty tough team and they are still improving. :thumb:
January 14, 200917 yr Here's a nice quote from a UT fan that I found on a newspaper article: "Scotty Hopson - This guy was supposed to be 1 yr of college and then on to the pros. I know he's only a freshman but this guy was supposed to be the next big thing. To me, he's been the biggest disappointment of the year."
January 14, 200917 yr I liked when Hopson drove the lane late in the game and Patterson sent him out on his butt. It was Patterson's 4th, then PPAt just stared at him. Hopson got up limping and ran the other way. To me that one play was a microcasm of the game. UK is mentally and physically tougher than UT. Most of that is due to the Coach. The only thing i got frustrated with was the 1-4 out of bounds vs man pressure. I thought we could have switched it up. It looks like BCG has these boys whipped into shape. It's getting exciting in Lexington.
January 14, 200917 yr Is it just me or does BCG's teams look like night vs. day when the conference games start? It's as if we all of a sudden have a normal rotation, our offense is set and it looks like we're totally in synch and all of sudden we just crack down on defense. Its almost like he just let's them play pickup ball in the pre-conference schedule and then implements plays and schemes when SEC play starts. I looked up at one point in the 2nd half and they were running a 3-man weave at the top of the key last night. Did anyone else happen to notice that? About 5 times, they melted the shot clock down to about 3 seconds and then hit a big shot. Its like a totally different team now. I know it only his second season, but it really does seem like that. Maybe the first half of the year is just about conditioning then he starts to focus more on game strategy. If I recall, Meeks could not have played 39 minutes earlier in the year.
January 14, 200917 yr You may be right on the conditioning, but the only drawback to that is that if/when they lose early season games, they need to lose to a better quality opponent. This year it was just VMI as UNC, Miami, and UL are all respectable, but that 86 RPI for VMI is going to hover around the 100 range where it would then be considered a really bad loss. I don't think a top 100 loss is concidered a really bad loss by the Selection Committee.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.