Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Warren Central's Coach Resigns

Featured Replies

I heard that the coaching salary is not very good .

  • Replies 56
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I HAVE to add my two cents to this one. When I was in high school, 88-92, Central was in the process of passing the torch to Bowling Green as the best high school program in South Central KY.

 

I don't know about that. WC only became really relevant around 1985 or so. BG was becoming very good at the same time with Dan Haley as head coach. After 1993, BG seemed to have a lot more staying power than WC. From 88-92 was no process of the torch being passed. WC was not going down at that time. That was the best time period in WC history if you extend it one year to 1993.

As for Steve, I and others hope his chances are very good and would have to think that they would be. It would be great to get back to someone with a connection to Hood/Wood and that is what many here want to see. He played at WC during the above mentioned time period and the fact that he is a college coach now would bring instant credibility, as well. He would definitely help to immediately bring back some of the 'support' that many here have mentioned has diminished from the WC program.

What is appealing about it? In the same district as Bowling Green and same region as Christian, Owensboro, and Hopkinsville.
Warren Central is a solid program that has produced some good football. They have both the potential and a respectable history of success to make it a great opportunity. I would rank a position at Warren Central as job in top 25% of those positions in KY.
  • Author
As for Steve, I and others hope his chances are very good and would have to think that they would be. It would be great to get back to someone with a connection to Hood/Wood and that is what many here want to see. He played at WC during the above mentioned time period and the fact that he is a college coach now would bring instant credibility, as well. He would definitely help to immediately bring back some of the 'support' that many here have mentioned has diminished from the WC program.

I think he would be an excellent choice. I was surprised when Coach Cox was hired that it wasn't someone with a connection to Hood or Wood.

I just want to throw out that there's nothing wrong with having more than one "marquee" team in a town.

I HAVE to add my two cents to this one. When I was in high school, 88-92, Central was in the process of passing the torch to Bowling Green as the best high school program in South Central KY.

 

I don't know about that. WC only became really relevant around 1985 or so. BG was becoming very good at the same time with Dan Haley as head coach. After 1993, BG seemed to have a lot more staying power than WC. From 88-92 was no process of the torch being passed. WC was not going down at that time. That was the best time period in WC history if you extend it one year to 1993.

 

I say Central was in the process of handing the torch to Bowling Green because that was the last time period when Central could consistently compete or beat Bowling Green. Since 93-94 we have owned you guys. I remember being in high school we actually worried that we wouldn't beat you guys, but I don't think that is the case anymore.

I think he would be an excellent choice. I was surprised when Coach Cox was hired that it wasn't someone with a connection to Hood or Wood.

 

 

Stonebreaker would be a fantastic choice and his chances should be extremely good. Since the rumors began swirling early in the year that Coach Cox may resign his name is the one that has been talked about the most. As FF4CH said it would be great to keep this hire within Joe Hood's coaching family and the excitement would definitily come with it. Just like you, I was surprised that the last hire wasn't kept within the family.

 

I do disagree with what FF4CH stated with the support not been there, though. I think attendance is being confused with overall support. I still think Central is a well supported program but attendance has dropped because excitement has dropped. More than anything else Central needs to get back some passion. Steve would bring that to every part of the program.

Edited by iron dragon

Stoney would be a great choice. When he was the coach at Casey County we would go back and forth about Bowling Green and Central and I will always remember that about him. I thought he did good things for Casey County and I also thought he did good things in Garrard County even though the things he was doing might not have shown up in the wins. Stoney epitomizes Warren Central football and everything Warren Central used to be about. No way would Stoney let Warren Central lose to Bowling Green the way Central lost to Bowling Green this year. I can guarantee if I saw Stoney and I asked him why they let us whip up on them like that he would say that won't happen on my watch. I'd love to see him get the job. I want to be worried about Central beating us.

Speaking as an outsider, there is no reason for Warren Central to limit themselves from hiring a coach from the family tree. You open it up and see who is interested, and you just might be pleasantly surprised.

I would think that Warren Central will go through every possible option and do what is best for the program.

 

Speaking for myself, I am biased and I know if Stoney tosses his name into the hat, then I will be rooting for him to get the job. I know he if decides to pursue the job that he would love nothing more to coach at his alma mater.

I think Jeff Griffith would be an excellent choice, his defense is usually one of the best in the state, plus he knows the area well having been an assistant at Bowling Green and Greenwood. Would his Purples' loyalty allow him to change?? Money usually talks, but he left Wayne County when he was one of the higher paid coaches in that part of the state, so I guess we'll see how this plays out.

I would think that Warren Central will go through every possible option and do what is best for the program.

 

Speaking for myself, I am biased and I know if Stoney tosses his name into the hat, then I will be rooting for him to get the job. I know he if decides to pursue the job that he would love nothing more to coach at his alma mater.

 

I believe he's already passed on the chance to coach there before.I'm telling you that the coaching salary at Warren central is surprisingly low for the head coach and for the asst's. As far as pay it's in the bottom 25 % in the state.

  • Author
I believe he's already passed on the chance to coach there before.I'm telling you that the coaching salary at Warren central is surprisingly low for the head coach and for the asst's. As far as pay it's in the bottom 25 % in the state.

I'd be interested in knowing where you find your numbers.

 

Admittedly this is information that I don't know is correct, but I have been told before that there are restrictions by the school board on differential in coaching salaries among the county schools. In other words, the Warren Central coach makes roughly as much as Warren East or Greenwood, so if they're in the bottom 25%, so are East & Greenwood.

I'd be interested in knowing where you find your numbers.

 

Admittedly this is information that I don't know is correct, but I have been told before that there are restrictions by the school board on differential in coaching salaries among the county schools. In other words, the Warren Central coach makes roughly as much as Warren East or Greenwood, so if they're in the bottom 25%, so are East & Greenwood.

 

I've heard that before myself. I could be wrong, but I've heard from very reliable sources that the head coaching stipends for all three Warren County schools is around the 8K range, which isn't much at all in the first place, let a lone for how large those schools all are.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.