Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Warren Central's Coach Resigns

Featured Replies

When is the new South Warren supposed to be opening? What class would they be?

  • Replies 56
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen. There is no reason to believe Warren Central can't annually compete with Christian, Owensboro and Hoptown. It hasn't been that long since Warren Central was the marquee name in town, not Bowling Green High.

 

Warren Central has never been the marquee name in town when it comes to football. They've won two game against the Purples in 15 years.

Bring Joe Hood back, best coach they ever had!

Warren Central has never been the marquee name in town when it comes to football. They've won two game against the Purples in 15 years.

 

Yes. But, as I mentioned before from the late 1980's to early 90's WC was just as marquee as BG. Both were very good. So, I do think there was a time period where there was at the very least some equality. If anything, I would argue that the WC brand was better then.:D

Bring Joe Hood back, best coach they ever had!

 

Bring Joe back, baby.:dancingpa

  • Author
Warren Central has never been the marquee name in town when it comes to football. They've won two game against the Purples in 15 years.

At the very least they were in '02 when BG got waxed. They had a period of time from 02-04 when they were still playing in the playoffs while BG was at home. And before you mention 4A, in '03 they'd have gone every bit as far if not further in 3A.

 

But that said, Bowling Green has owned Central during their existence, so outside of a season here and there, they are always THE team in this town. But I reiterate as I said earlier, there is no reason they can't compete with every other team in the area and in their region, and truthfully, there's no reason that many years they shouldn't compete with BG. I still feel Central was the better team in '03 & '05.

I still feel Central was the better team in '03 & '05.

 

Surely you jest?

 

In 2003 BG dominated Central 24-13 in a game that wasn't that close. It was 24-6 with less 3 minutes to go in the game and Central scored a mop up TD. BG was beaten by Hopkinville and Curtis Pulley by a TD with 30 seconds to play in the second round of the playoffs. Central was feasting on Ohio Co., Graves Co., and a down Henderson Co. in the first 3 rounds of the playoffs.

Not sure beating those teams in the playoffs is an indication the Dragons were a better team after getting dominated by BG in the regular season.

 

In 2005 Central lost to BG 14-6. They scored 6 points on a BG defense that was one of the more dominating defenses in their history. The Purples gave up 54 points through 14 games. BG also lost a dog fight to St X that year 13-7 after leading 7-0 at the half. St X rolled Warren Central 62-12 in the playoffs at Joe Hood Field.

Really can't see how you feel Central was better than BG in 2005.

 

From 2003-2006 while the Dragons were in 4A, the BG camp continuously heard "boy I wish we could play BG in the playoffs" after the Dragons had been beaten in the regular season. The Purples even heard it in 2007 after having beaten the Dragons 62-6 in the regular season. The Dragons got their wish and were beaten down 63-0.

 

Central has had one season where they had a dominating win over BG and that was 2002. That Purple team finished with the only losing season at BG since 1983. That same Central team choked up a hairball and was slapped by Hoptown in the second round of the playoffs 25-0.

 

Centrals only success in the playoffs since 1993 have come during the 4 years they were in 4A from '03-'06. The only playoff success Central has ever had while playing the traditional 3A/5A schools such as BG, Hopkinsville, Owensboro, etc. was in 1993.

 

So no, it is not the most desirable job around IMO. I believe both Warren East and Greenwood have surpassed them as both a program and in facilities.

 

In saying all this I believe it can be a good job, but there are a lot of uncertainties surrounding the program from facilites, to assistant coaches, to the impact of the new high school in 2010.

  • Author
Surely you jest?

 

In 2003 BG dominated Central 24-13 in a game that wasn't that close. It was 24-6 with less 3 minutes to go in the game and Central scored a mop up TD. BG was beaten by Hopkinville and Curtis Pulley by a TD with 30 seconds to play in the second round of the playoffs. Central was feasting on Ohio Co., Graves Co., and a down Henderson Co. in the first 3 rounds of the playoffs.

Not sure beating those teams in the playoffs is an indication the Dragons were a better team after getting dominated by BG in the regular season.

 

In 2005 Central lost to BG 14-6. They scored 6 points on a BG defense that was one of the more dominating defenses in their history. The Purples gave up 54 points through 14 games. BG also lost a dog fight to St X that year 13-7 after leading 7-0 at the half. St X rolled Warren Central 62-12 in the playoffs at Joe Hood Field.

Really can't see how you feel Central was better than BG in 2005.

 

Well, it was 23-13, and by the end of the year, I think most would agree Central was the better team, and they were favored in that '03 matchup. Central lost to St. X 13-9 in the state semis that year. You'll note that they did this against St. X at the end of the year, where they are traditionally much better. Why do I mention that?

 

Bowling Green lost to St. X 13-7 in the first game of the year. It has repeatedly been said that St. X is a different team at the beginning than they are at the end, and that has almost always borne out. Central losing 62-12 is not extremely defensible, but let's not play this margin game there. I will acknowledge that of the two, the '05 is a weaker case.

 

From 2003-2006 while the Dragons were in 4A, the BG camp continuously heard "boy I wish we could play BG in the playoffs" after the Dragons had been beaten in the regular season. The Purples even heard it in 2007 after having beaten the Dragons 62-6 in the regular season. The Dragons got their wish and were beaten down 63-0.

 

Anyone who said that was a fool in 04 & 06 and most definitely 07.

 

Central has had one season where they had a dominating win over BG and that was 2002. That Purple team finished with the only losing season at BG since 1983. That same Central team choked up a hairball and was slapped by Hoptown in the second round of the playoffs 25-0.

 

Centrals only success in the playoffs since 1993 have come during the 4 years they were in 4A from '03-'06. The only playoff success Central has ever had while playing the traditional 3A/5A schools such as BG, Hopkinsville, Owensboro, etc. was in 1993.

 

So no, it is not the most desirable job around IMO. I believe both Warren East and Greenwood have surpassed them as both a program and in facilities.

 

In saying all this I believe it can be a good job, but there are a lot of uncertainties surrounding the program from facilites, to assistant coaches, to the impact of the new high school in 2010.

 

I cannot begin to even place how much I disagree with you saying Warren East and Greenwood have surpassed them as a program. Facilities, you could make a case. But jeez, it's been two years since Central was a 10 win team. Central just last year beat Greenwood 27-3 and this year with one of the worst teams they've had in recent memory still only lost 22-7 to a historic Greenwood Gators team that won their first playoff game, ever. One or two years hardly equates to surpassing a team. I suppose you'd have said the same thing in 1999 when the Gators beat Central, or 1995 when Central lost to both East and Greenwood for the only time. Heck, I think it's even funnier that you're talking about the impact of the new high school. The effect on Central's enrollment is expected to be rather minimal, whereas Greenwood's is expected to be gutted.

 

I have heard no one but you ever breathe that East & Greenwood have surpassed Central as a program, and that includes supporters of other schools. Heck, even this year I couldn't convince people that Greenwood was going to beat Central until it happened.

 

Lastly, you say you believe it could be a good job. It is the potential that walks the halls and is in the middle schools and elementary schools that makes it a desirable job. It's not BG, but it has potential. They just need the right guy to head it up.

Blockbuster, you make some decent arguments, but there is no way that Greenwood and East have surpassed Central as a PROGRAM. They have caught up in many ways, but Central has been down the past couple of seasons just like your BG team was in 2002.

 

I must agree with DragonFire that the job is desirable because of the 'potential' that exists in the hallways. It may take a little while to get it back going at a level to compete with BG. But, the possibility for WC to get back to that level exists and is always what has scared the BG faithful. I have never heard anyone from BGHS shutter at the thought of Greenwood or WE football. Even on your down years (as in 2002) they couldn't beat you. But, WC, on the other hand. That is a different story.

I cannot begin to even place how much I disagree with you saying Warren East and Greenwood have surpassed them as a program. Facilities, you could make a case.

 

When I say program, I mean everything. I think support has severely declined from Central the past 3-4 years. It has gained momentum at Warren East so much that basketball is the second sport there now. Greenwood, inspite of their troubles record wise, has always had tremendous support.

 

Facilites do not win games, but it certainly helps attract people to your program. Central is far behind BG and Greenwood in terms of facilites and the Warren East facility is gradually catching up with BG and GW. When was the last time Central did anything to upgrade their facilities (weightroom, lockerroom, gamefield, bleachers, practice field, etc.)?

 

When Central lost to both East and Greenwood in '95 neither of those programs at that time had good facilities, had no history whatsoever in terms of winning games. So I did not view it as those teams having a better "program". Alot has changed for those programs in the past 13 years, but especially in the past 5 years. I think Central is a team that can win a lot of games some years, but I don't know if they have a "program". There is a difference.

 

If Central makes a commitment to getting a good head coach, assistant coaches, upgrade facilities, etc., then there is no reason they should not be on par with Bowling Green and light years ahead of Greenwood and East. As you said, the Jimmy's and Joe's walking the halls at the MS and elementary schools make it a good job. Plus, a very good Warren Central football program makes football better as a whole in south central Ky. But that type of commitment at Central hasn't been there in a while.

Blockbuster, you make some decent arguments, but there is no way that Greenwood and East have surpassed Central as a PROGRAM. They have caught up in many ways, but Central has been down the past couple of seasons just like your BG team was in 2002.

 

You and Dragonfire are right and I went a bit far in saying they had surpassed Central as a program. But they are definetly closing ground on the Dragons.

 

East will be down next year and the Dragons lost quite a bit as well, plus they are getting a new coach. It should be an interesting matchup between East and Central next year. Greenwood should be pretty strong as should BG.

You will get no argument from me that WC needs to upgrade their facilities!! We have to get working on that.

 

But, I still say that WC is ahead of both WE and GHS as a program.

I HAVE to add my two cents to this one. When I was in high school, 88-92, Central was in the process of passing the torch to Bowling Green as the best high school program in South Central KY. I will say that even though we(BG) have had the upper hand in the rivalry for the last 15-20 years, that Warren Central is still a better football program than East or Greenwood. I am not in BG anymore, but that is obvious IMO.

 

Wow. So BG is getting that much bigger they are building another high school. I still remember when Greenwood opened. South Warren? That's the best name they could come up with?

 

What are the chances of Steve Stonebreaker getting the job? I know Stoney is Warren Central through and through and he would definitely give his all to get Central back on the winning side of the rivalry. I'd be surprised if he doesn't apply for the job.

  • Author
Wow. So BG is getting that much bigger they are building another high school. I still remember when Greenwood opened. South Warren? That's the best name they could come up with?

 

They actually first named it Joseph Warren High School, after the namesake of Warren County. The people in the Richpond community didn't like that and wanted it named Richpond High School since that's the area it would be in. South Warren was the school board imposed compromise. I happen to like the name, as it fits in well with the directionals we already have (Warren Central, Warren East), as well as having a history in the area as we have had a South Warren in the past, as well as a North Warren (which is still an elementary school).

 

What are the chances of Steve Stonebreaker getting the job? I know Stoney is Warren Central through and through and he would definitely give his all to get Central back on the winning side of the rivalry. I'd be surprised if he doesn't apply for the job.

 

I know nothing of the chances, but his is a name I have heard thrown into the hat. I have also heard whispering of Coach Grif over at BG, as well as Coach Bruni from East. I don't know whether those are just speculative or if they have expressed a true interest. I talked with a couple of administrators at the game the other night, and they said they're getting a lot of interest.

They actually first named it Joseph Warren High School, after the namesake of Warren County. The people in the Richpond community didn't like that and wanted it named Richpond High School since that's the area it would be in. South Warren was the school board imposed compromise. I happen to like the name, as it fits in well with the directionals we already have (Warren Central, Warren East), as well as having a history in the area as we have had a South Warren in the past, as well as a North Warren (which is still an elementary school).

 

 

 

I guess that is true. I know South Warren makes sense with all of the other directional high school names, but we do have a Greenwood which isn't directional so I wouldn't be mad at Richpond High School. I do remember North Warren now that you mention it, so I guess South Warren will do. I still can't get over how much Bowling Green has grown since I left. I love Danville and the Boyle County area, but I do miss Bowling Green.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.