Windows Vista

RondoRules

My problem with Vista is that many of the older programs that I use are not compatible with it. Namely Adobe After Effects 6.0 and Adobe Premiere Pro 7.0. I have to run XP to be able to use both of these. The alternative is to drop about $1000 to upgrade the Adobe Suite, which makes no sense because the older software works just fine for me.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am appreciating reading the responses in this thread. I'm in the process now of having to replace a computer and deciding between lap top vs PC, what memory I need, and had also considered the Vista/XP choice. I have a friend who hates Vista.

For those of you that prefer Vista, why do you prefer it?

Also, what does Vista Ultimate offer over the other versions and do you think it is worth the extra coin?

If you are using it in a business setting, it is most definitely worth it. It has far more networking capabilities than any of the other versions. I have barely contained my rage at clients that bought systems on their own that had Home Premium on it and then got upset at me when I told them it couldn't do the things they needed to do.

The only thing I don't like about Vista is when it asks like 30 times if you really want to do something.

I'll second that.:irked:

My HP laptop has Vista. I can't say I've had any particular problems with the system itself; but I still prefer XP. However, I have had the compatibility problems with certain software programs, and have been forced to upgrade.

My problem with Vista is that many of the older programs that I use are not compatible with it. Namely Adobe After Effects 6.0 and Adobe Premiere Pro 7.0. I have to run XP to be able to use both of these. The alternative is to drop about $1000 to upgrade the Adobe Suite, which makes no sense because the older software works just fine for me.
I have adobe 7.0 and it works perfectly on my Vista Ultimate.

I personally think Windows XP Professional can do anything and everything that I'll ever need. Vista was just a great way for Microsoft to make a few more million dollars. I'm a big fan of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Vista seems like it will be great until you upgrade and then realize you need a different version of Microsoft Office, your games don't work anymore, your printer no longer works, and much of your other programs have to be reinstalled or repurchased. I guess it is alright if you buy it new and don't have anything that you need it to be compatible with, but if you're upgrading - jerk the wallet out because you're going to need it.

I'll second that.:irked:

My HP laptop has Vista. I can't say I've had any particular problems with the system itself; but I still prefer XP. However, I have had the compatibility problems with certain software programs, and have been forced to upgrade.

Turn off User Account Control. You access it by going to Control Panel, Users, and select yourself. There will be something there about it.