November 9, 200817 yr NKU christens their new arena with a strong showing against the D1 Cardinals. :thumb:
November 9, 200817 yr Maguire is a ball player for NKU. Led all scorers tonight with 33 pts. NKU should go far in the post season barring injuries or upsets.
November 9, 200817 yr Great game by NKU. The Cards have quite a few kinks to work out in the next 2 weeks.
November 9, 200817 yr BOK has to be the best d-2 arena in the country! My only concern is if you can't get a packed house for the number 2/3 ranked team in the country what kind of crowds are you going to get for a regular season game?
November 9, 200817 yr BOK has to be the best d-2 arena in the country! My only concern is if you can't get a packed house for the number 2/3 ranked team in the country what kind of crowds are you going to get for a regular season game? Wasn't there, so I guess you can help me out. It wasn't a packed house? lol I didn't know many people went to regular season games in Regents Hall, so I'm thinking on BOK arena it will look sparce. But I was impressed with the showing NKU gave tonight. I really thought they would get their stuff handed to them.
November 9, 200817 yr Not packed, but 7/8s full would probably be a good description. They were in a Catch 22 by charging $30/$36 a head admission. While many tickets were given away, those casual fans who wanted to attend actually had to reach in their pockets and hand over that kind of cash. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong on the pricing. This was because the "appearance fee" for Louisville to come play was in the vicinity of a half-mil. I am happy to see that the remaining home games on the schedule are a more realistic $7-$12. I thought the new BOK arena got passing marks. I will be judged as petty, but I was disappointed that there were no drinks holders in conjunction with the seats, which were quite nice. The floor lighting was great, but the constant stark light from above is overwhelming. Note to self: Next time wear a ballcap. Am a bit concerned over lack of courtside media space. Only room for the game officials/scorers/announcers/timers etc., with no courtside media area on the opposite side of the floor. There was some media area in the endzone, but it appeared temporary. There was a huge bottleneck following the game of the fans going down the steps to steet level. I'm sure in time we will learn other egress routes, but tonight it was bad to the point of being hazardous. Good food selections - Montgomery Inn, Greaters, and Donato's were the main franchises represented, with the standard snack bar fare available. Large drinks sold for $4, which is pretty standard. Plenty of restrooms albeit small ones, and lots of move around space on the concourse. I got the feeling that it was still being finished and I hope in time that they will dress it up with displays, and blown up photos of past or present day Norse. I had trouble convincing myself that something this "major league" was located right in our community. We are quite blessed. Oh, and I would expect that now that they have a Division I facility, it won't be long until NKU becomes a Division I program.
November 9, 200817 yr Not packed, but 7/8s full would probably be a good description. They were in a Catch 22 by charging $30/$36 a head admission. While many tickets were given away, those casual fans who wanted to attend actually had to reach in their pockets and hand over that kind of cash. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong on the pricing. This was because the "appearance fee" for Louisville to come play was in the vicinity of a half-mil. I am happy to see that the remaining home games on the schedule are a more realistic $7-$12. I thought the new BOK arena got passing marks. I will be judged as petty, but I was disappointed that there were no drinks holders in conjunction with the seats, which were quite nice. The floor lighting was great, but the constant stark light from above is overwhelming. Note to self: Next time wear a ballcap. Am a bit concerned over lack of courtside media space. Only room for the game officials/scorers/announcers/timers etc., with no courtside media area on the opposite side of the floor. There was some media area in the endzone, but it appeared temporary. There was a huge bottleneck following the game of the fans going down the steps to steet level. I'm sure in time we will learn other egress routes, but tonight it was bad to the point of being hazardous. Good food selections - Montgomery Inn, Greaters, and Donato's were the main franchises represented, with the standard snack bar fare available. Large drinks sold for $4, which is pretty standard. Plenty of restrooms albeit small ones, and lots of move around space on the concourse. I got the feeling that it was still being finished and I hope in time that they will dress it up with displays, and blown up photos of past or present day Norse. I had trouble convincing myself that something this "major league" was located right in our community. We are quite blessed. Oh, and I would expect that now that they have a Division I facility, it won't be long until NKU becomes a Division I program. Yeah it is pretty obvious the direction that NKU wants to head. D1, and the arena was a huge step. Thanks for the details on the arena. Sounds nice. No cupholders though!?:eek:
November 9, 200817 yr NKU showed they could play with anyone tonight, although their post play could not match up with the big boys from Louisville, not many can. NKU had no problem with the Louisville press. Mcguire had an unreal night shooting but I will have to see him do it against a man to man, but Rick Majerus has to be second guessing himself. NKU was not intimidated at all and should be a real force in their conference. Arena was as nice as any I have been in and much more comfortable than Rupp. My guess is Louisville may very well beat Kentucky by about the same score they beat NKU. Preston Knowles has really bulked up under Pittino and should have a nice year for the Cards.
November 9, 200817 yr Samardo is a beast, has to be one of the best freshman that Pitino has ever recruited. I thought Gagai would show better tonight for the Norse, very disappointed with his showing. Overall a very good showing by NKU.
November 9, 200817 yr Decided not to go to the game, but definitely agree about the cup holders....How are they not there?!?!
November 9, 200817 yr I'm not worried about the Cardinals. The few factors like no T-Will, Two freshmen constantly on the court, and the whole 'Exhibition' thing are going to keep the Cardinals from running on full steam. I doubt there was any sort of pregame speech, just Pitino telling them what he wants to see them work on. He runs his exhibitions like a coach should - work on the weaknesses and - even if it's not weak - your defense.
November 9, 200817 yr Not packed, but 7/8s full would probably be a good description. They were in a Catch 22 by charging $30/$36 a head admission. While many tickets were given away, those casual fans who wanted to attend actually had to reach in their pockets and hand over that kind of cash. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong on the pricing. This was because the "appearance fee" for Louisville to come play was in the vicinity of a half-mil. I am happy to see that the remaining home games on the schedule are a more realistic $7-$12. I thought the new BOK arena got passing marks. I will be judged as petty, but I was disappointed that there were no drinks holders in conjunction with the seats, which were quite nice. The floor lighting was great, but the constant stark light from above is overwhelming. Note to self: Next time wear a ballcap. Am a bit concerned over lack of courtside media space. Only room for the game officials/scorers/announcers/timers etc., with no courtside media area on the opposite side of the floor. There was some media area in the endzone, but it appeared temporary. There was a huge bottleneck following the game of the fans going down the steps to steet level. I'm sure in time we will learn other egress routes, but tonight it was bad to the point of being hazardous. Good food selections - Montgomery Inn, Greaters, and Donato's were the main franchises represented, with the standard snack bar fare available. Large drinks sold for $4, which is pretty standard. Plenty of restrooms albeit small ones, and lots of move around space on the concourse. I got the feeling that it was still being finished and I hope in time that they will dress it up with displays, and blown up photos of past or present day Norse. I had trouble convincing myself that something this "major league" was located right in our community. We are quite blessed. Oh, and I would expect that now that they have a Division I facility, it won't be long until NKU becomes a Division I program. Not surprising with the price of a ticket that it wasn't a full house, and in fact IMO the first truly paid full house will come on December 14 during the Bluegrass vs. Buckeye tournament. For the $10.00 ticket price to see CovCath vs. Highlands, then a pre State Tourney Championship match up game between Cov Holmes vs. Scott County will bring out not only the basketball fans but even the casual fans to see the Bank Of Kentucky Center. Can't wait..... BTW would love to see NKU move to D1 and especially if they were accepted into the Ohio Valley Conference. It would be a great fit for the OVC as well as NKU..... OVC would get the advantage of NKU being in a a major TV market (compared to the rest of the OVC members) and NKU would be in a mid major D1 Conference whose basketball program is respected nation wide, without having to have a football team! Great fit for both.....
November 9, 200817 yr Nice showing for NKU, they are definitely heading in the right direction and will in time make the leap to D-1. I was very disappointed in Pitino and his attire on the sidelines. Kind of gave me the impression that this game didn't mean very much to him, or maybe he didn't really want to be there. Shirt and Ties with the coat are doned at all other games, and he comes out in that last night. Booooooo!
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.