Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Belfry 21 Johnson Central 13

Featured Replies

This score is bad news for Russell. The Devils will be done before Turkey Day for the first time in a while.

  • Replies 75
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to Belfry! Having only seen the Eagles this year, I was skeptical of Belfry pulling out this win (particularly being on the road). Now I really am sorry I didn’t make the trip to Paintsville to see this outstanding game.

 

Best of luck to the Pirates in the second season….JC, I’m sure, will rebound from the loss and use it for motivation in their pursuit of a state championship.

Is this the same Belfry team that struggled to beat Lawrence Co. early this season?

Is this the same Belfry team that struggled to beat Lawrence Co. early this season?

 

Is this the same JC team that pasted Ashland a couple of weeks ago?

Is this the same JC team that pasted Ashland a couple of weeks ago?
This is why I love H.S. football. ;)
The Belfry/Central game should be a war. Central has a stingy defense and a pretty effective "grind 'em out" offense.

 

Didn't realize the state finals were set already. :confused: We might want to let it all play out.

Is this the same JC team that pasted Ashland a couple of weeks ago?

 

I dont want this to come across as an excuse but JC was just playing at another level when they played the Tomcats. Belfry just matched JC's physical play and controlled the LOS, to me that was the game. You cant take anything away from Belfry, they earned a very impressive win.

I dont want this to come across as an excuse but JC was just playing at another level when they played the Tomcats. Belfry just matched JC's physical play and controlled the LOS, to me that was the game. You cant take anything away from Belfry, they earned a very impressive win.

 

What do think about the 2-point conv?

I don't want to hear about excuses. That is a bunch of CRAP!!!! Belfry beat Johnson Central on their own field folks!

 

Go Pirates.

 

Dont hold back now !:D

What do think about the 2-point conv?

 

I supported the decision for a couple of reasons.

 

1.) I didnt like our chances at stopping Belfry in OT. As I have said before, with Belfry's rushing attack it would be nearly impossible to stop them with 4 attempts at 10yds.

 

2.) Although our kicker has been solid all year, he is a freshman and has missed quite a few attempts this year. The O-line of JC and the backfield is a experienced bunch that can get tough yards with their backs against the wall.

 

3.) We had the momentum.

 

4.) Finally. He is the head coach. Thats why they pay him the big bucks to make that decision. Had JC got it and escaped with a win, he would have been praised. This team believes in themselves and the coaching staff and vis versa. They felt they could get 3 yds as did I.

Hats off to Belfry, they were much better than I gave them credit for, they came up with big plays when they were needed, and Haywood just had a super game plan that showed who was the teacher and who was the student. I'll eat crow on this game, and gladly so, I picked JC by 30. Good luck to both teams in the playoffs.

We have discussed at length about the two point conversion and about the squib kicks, but I want to bring up the decisions/plays that put Belfry in position to win this game.

 

1. First Half, 6-0 Belfry, JC has their first drive of the game going. The Eagles have it inside the Belfry 20 and are facing 4th and 1. Eagles choose to go for it and Belfry Freshman LB Gary Runyon, playing in place of another Freshman LB, makes a big stop to stonewall the runner. This secured a 6-0 lead heading into the half for Belfry.

 

2. 7-6 JC, Belfry driving, Belfry SR QB Andrew Elkins (remember who I say here) makes a costly mistake on a 3rd and 2 by making the wrong read on the option and choosing instead to pitch the ball for a 2 yard loss. Facing 4th and 4 Belfry converts the fake punt.

 

3. Same drive, Belfry punches in the TD and hold a 12-7 lead and Phillip Haywood makes his second gutsy call of the game. Belfry goes for two. Belfry runs the option again and this time Ivan Lee is stonewalled at the L.O.S., so Elkins pulls the ball out, makes the DE collapse, and pitches it to Varney. This time the PERFECT read as Varney walks into the endzone untouched. Now JC has to convert after the TD regardless if it is 1 or 2.

Shew..I haven't gotten to post on here in about a year...but here it goes....LOL

 

First, let me congratulate Coach Haywood and the Belfry Pirates on one of the most exciting games I have seen this year. The boys..let me change that..young MEN on this team NEVER gave up for one minute during this game. They didn't let anything get to them and they kept their emotions in check..a very mature and impressive team!!!

 

Secondly, Johnson Central was ready and fought tooth and nail with the Pirates...They are a very physical team with a lot of talent and I wish them nothing but the best in the playoffs!!

 

I know there will be a lot of what if's and if only's for many years to come about this game...the 2 point conversion will be the talk around the breakfast table as to whether that was the dumbest call ever made or whether you would have done the same thing in that position. I'm glad I don't have to discuss something like that since Haywood's call of a fake punt worked...:thumb: (If it hadn't, Belfry fans would have been having the same discussions that I'm sure JC fans are having)

 

I have to say that Belfry fans were definitely back in the game as the 12th man on the field tonight....I love ballgames that bring out every emotion possible with one turn of events!!

Also lost in all of this are:

 

-Thomas Varney: The kid entered leading the state in yards per carry and JC shut him down, so how does Thomas respond? He plays fantastic coverage, he has three consecutive punts that pin JC inside the 20, including two inside the 10\, and on the game clinching drive he has the key run to set up the TD. Resilient effort by Belfry's X-Factor.

 

-Ian Welch- JC would have had no shot in this game without Welch. Not only with his receiving skills and his circus catches in traffic which helped set up one of JC's scores. But how many times did this kid save the big play when Belfry's backs got in the second level? He also was key in shutting down Belfry's outside runing game. Truly one of the elite players in EKY.

 

And of course:

-CHARLIE DOTSON- Wow! What can I say? Belfry's FB/MLB played out of his head tonight. The Pirates constantly rode Dotson right up the gut behind JR Center Chancey Cisco and he constantly made key run after key run. When Belfry is successful on the FB dive and when Belfry is getting over 3 yards a play on 1st Down they are very tough to beat. Additionally, Dotson was all over the place on defense as he always is.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.