2008 Sleeper teams

just 4 fun

Who will be the big surprises this year? I can see some of these possibly.. When i say surprise, I'm meaning teams not really Top 4-5 teams in there class that could possibly make a run to state or at least the Final 4....

A - Campbellsville...They return alot of kids from last years team who finished strong...I know alot of people think they could be good, but, I doubt many think they'll contend for a title...I think with a break or 2, they could...

AA - Desales...Currently in the Top 10 preseason, but, do they have what it takes to make a deep run...Many think not simply because they don't have the long standing tradition of some others, but, from a pure depth and talent standpoint, I think they have a chance...

AAA - E'Town...They're coming off a poor season from there standards and will want a little redemption this year...There passing arsenal could be dangerous for 1 or more of the supposed contenders...

AAAA - Calloway Co... There offense is more than capable of scoring points on anyone and even though they have to go through a pretty solid district with Lone Oak and Hopkins Central, they're capable of beating any team on the west side to make it to Louisville...

AAAAA - Pulaski Co...Very solid last year and have quite a bit coming back...I'm a little surprised they're not ranked a little higher on the preseason poll...A very capable Final 4 team...

AAAAAA - Nobody....It's Trinitys or St Xs to lose....

Who will be the big surprises this year? I can see some of these possibly.. When i say surprise, I'm meaning teams not really Top 4-5 teams in there class that could possibly make a run to state or at least the Final 4....

A - Campbellsville...They return alot of kids from last years team who finished strong...I know alot of people think they could be good, but, I doubt many think they'll contend for a title...I think with a break or 2, they could...

AA - Desales...Currently in the Top 10 preseason, but, do they have what it takes to make a deep run...Many think not simply because they don't have the long standing tradition of some others, but, from a pure depth and talent standpoint, I think they have a chance...

AAA - E'Town...They're coming off a poor season from there standards and will want a little redemption this year...There passing arsenal could be dangerous for 1 or more of the supposed contenders...

AAAA - Calloway Co... There offense is more than capable of scoring points on anyone and even though they have to go through a pretty solid district with Lone Oak and Hopkins Central, they're capable of beating any team on the west side to make it to Louisville...

AAAAA - Pulaski Co...Very solid last year and have quite a bit coming back...I'm a little surprised they're not ranked a little higher on the preseason poll...A very capable Final 4 team...

AAAAAA - Nobody....It's Trinitys or St Xs to lose....

AA- Murray could surprise a lot of teams this year under the leadership of Coach Duncan

AAAA- Lone Oak (#14 BGP) has an excellent chance of going deep into the playoffs. I think they will run the table during the regular season since they host both Hopkins Co Central & Calloway Co.

AA- Murray could surprise a lot of teams this year under the leadership of Coach Duncan

AAAA- Lone Oak (#14 BGP) has an excellent chance of going deep into the playoffs. I think they will run the table during the regular season since they host both Hopkins Co Central & Calloway Co.

Murray will be improved but will have a hard time getting out of there own district with Trigg Co(the likely favorite), Caldwell Co(a team with alot returning) and Heath(they'll also be better than alot think), not to mention Ft Campbell, OB Catholic and a few others in D2...

Lone Oak will be decent, at best...The experience that alot of those kids got last year in the playoffs will certainly help, but, everything went thru there QB-Robinson, last year and there big play receiver is now there QB..I do think he's more athletic than Robinson was but taking him out of the big play receiver spot will hurt and there's no way he's in the same league passing the ball. I do think they'll be a better running team and there line will be better, but, they'll be nowhere close to having the big play capability and there defense will still be a question mark against good competition and it'll be hard to guage because of there extremely weak non district schedule...

Murray will be improved but will have a hard time getting out of there own district with Trigg Co(the likely favorite), Caldwell Co(a team with alot returning) and Heath(they'll also be better than alot think), not to mention Ft Campbell, OB Catholic and a few others in D2...

Lone Oak will be decent, at best...The experience that alot of those kids got last year in the playoffs will certainly help, but, everything went thru there QB-Robinson, last year and there big play receiver is now there QB..I do think he's more athletic than Robinson was but taking him out of the big play receiver spot will hurt and there's no way he's in the same league passing the ball. I do think they'll be a better running team and there line will be better, but, they'll be nowhere close to having the big play capability and there defense will still be a question mark against good competition and it'll be hard to guage because of there extremely weak non district schedule...

Lone Oak should be faster & stronger this year on the defensive side of the ball. On offense, the line should be solid & running game will improve. I think Lone Oak will put up a lot of points again this year.

Lone Oak should be faster & stronger this year on the defensive side of the ball. On offense, the line should be solid & running game will improve. I think Lone Oak will put up a lot of points again this year.

They will put up alot of points because of the schedule they play, but, alot of teams would do the same under similar circumstances. That doesn't mean much once they get into the better competition, most notably, playoff time. I do think they'll be improved defensively, but, I still think they'll have alot of work to be near as good offensively and they'll need to be measurably better on defense to be a contender...I hope they do well, but, I do beleave Calloway will be better and Hopk central will more competitve and on equal grounds this yr with the Flash...That game could go either way...

1A- I agree with the above poster about Campbellsville. Ole' Herb Wiseman and his staff fields 11-15 players about as talented as anybody, the only problem is that they all go both ways. So will fatigue bite them in the butt at crucial times on occasions. They have a very senior dominated team. I also think you have to look at Pikeville and Hazard---even though they usually arent considered sleepers

2A- Green County, again. I also think Glasgow has a great amount of experience and talent comming back. Look for them to make some noise. Both could---the only shame is that they are both in the same district.

3A- Ditto on Elizabethtown, a long with Henry County. Chris Engstrand has done a great job with that program. They got beat by Paducah in the Regional Finals last year and return a core group.

4A- I think you have to be on the look out for Bullitt East. Doug Preston took over a team there that will be heavily senior domniated and with his wishbone attack, smashmouth football---I think you will definately have to watch the Chargers. Bullitt East finished the year 5-7 last year---and three of those games were decided by 3 points or less. Also in that district, I wouldn't be surprised to see LaRue County make some kind of noise at the end of the year. They have a very talented, but young group of kids that are going to be around for the next couple/three years. I agree with Calloway County too---a very impressive offensive attack. Question is, will they be able to stop anybody?

5A- Anderson County returns all of their skill players. Mark Peach and staff will have them geared to finish what they got started with last years 2007 11-1 team. Mercer County should have some eyes on them, too. Marty Jaggers returns practically all of his starters---over 30 seniors---off a team in 2007 that lost 5 ballgames by a total combined 15 points. I don't really consider Pulaski County a sleeper. Most around the state already know about the damage Muse and Hines did last year out of the backfield to go a long with the rest of their supporting cast. I also think Ashland will gear up for a very good season. Leon Hart is too good of a coach and the Tomcats have too much tradition not to rebound from a failed '07 campaign.

6A- Who cares. How about whoever gets the closest, without going over on the attendance between St. X and Trinity in the state finals gets a free year to BGPreps?

:lol:

I don't think you can put Lone Oak as a sleeper that was last year.