Texas to retire K.Durant's jersey

GO CATS

Ridiculous.

Isn't UK's qualifications that you have to complete your degree before your number is retired?

That could be the dumbest thing I've heard in quite a while....

They must feel like retiring his jersey will influence this very wealthy NBA player to "gift" big $ back to the school.

Unreal..........

:thumb:...and anyone else who says this is absurd.

Unbelievable!! Things like this are one of the things wrong with athletics today. He didnt "earn" this great honor. We are continuing to get worse in honoring mediocrity. Things like giving every player in the leaque a trophy in little leaque, every player on a team getting a a'participation" trophy, etc. IMO, its causing a decline of work ethic in our country. Im all for recognizing outstanding play, but it would be impossible to merit a retired jersey after only one year. Sheeesh, what does these type of things say to our children??

I'm going to go against you all. LOL. KD was dominant and led that team, no one could gaurd him. In my mind at a place like Texas, yes he does deserve it. Because point blank they don't have the tradition that a UK, Duke, IU, or NC does.

I agree with you 100%....he was dominant but, in one year, no one could put up the body of work that would be required to have an honor like a retired jersey. Do other players, like O.J. Mayo, deserve this type of honors after one year even though it was a spectacular year? In my humble opinion, one year simply isnt enough. What if circumstances of Durant leaving after one year were different. Instaed of jumping to the NBA, lets imagine that he was incarcerated or became a missionary in Zambia. Would that one year of work still demand having his jersey retired?:confused:

He joins Earl Campbell, Roger Clemens , Ricky Williams & T.J. Ford to be the only athletes to play for Texas to ever have their jersey retired.

-Campbell won the Heisman Trophy in 1977 and is enshrined in both the college and pro football Halls of Fame.

-Clemens pitched two All-American seasons with the Longhorns baseball team and helped lead them to a national championship in 1983.

-Ricky Williams won the 1998 Heisman Trophy and set many NCAA Division I-A records (some of which were later broken), including most yards in a career (broken one year later by Ron Dayne from the University of Wisconsin) and career rushing touchdowns and career scoring (both of which were broken one year later by Travis Prentice from Miami (OH) University).

-T.J. Ford only stayed for two seasons with Texas' hoops team, but he led them to their first Final Four appearance since 1947 (and also the Sweet Sixteen) and won the Naismith and Wooden awards, along with being named player of the year by every major sports outlet. When he left Texas, Ford was the only basketball player to have his jersey retired

My main contention with this whole thing is that Durant didn't really do anything for Texas. OK, so he helped guide them to the Sweet Sixteen. All of his other accolades were personal.

Even though he helped bring more notoriety to the school, he failed to do what Carmelo did (to date, Syracuse has not retired his jersey). I just don't see how one year of service warrants the equivalent to a lifetime achievement award.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/40565-does-kevin-durant-deserve-to-have-his-jersey-retired-by-texas