JV Players to basketball

NKU20

Can anyone give any insight on why some schools will not let JV football players go play basketball after their JV season is over. I can understand if the kid is getting to play some varsity, but a kid that never gets in, what's the point. It just hurts the basketball team.

Most schools will allow them to play unless they contribute to the varsity, especially if the team makes the playoffs. Most schools also have a rule that if you quit a sport during the season you have to wait until that season ends before you can play another sport.

Can anyone give any insight on why some schools will not let JV football players go play basketball after their JV season is over. I can understand if the kid is getting to play some varsity, but a kid that never gets in, what's the point. It just hurts the basketball team.

I imagine that there are some schools that field separate practices for 9th grade and/or JV teams. However, I don't believe that most do. The purpose of the JV and freshmen teams is to build skill and enhance abilities, but to ultimately be able to compete well at the varsity level. Once JV season ends, the ability to learn and practice continues. Particularly in smaller schools, the JV team is needed during practice to contribute in drills and to "dummy" offensives/defenses.

If, after the JV season ends and the kids do not have this opportunity, then I agree that they should be allowed to move on to the next sport.

FWIW, the same exact thing can be said about basketball transitioning into baseball.

I cannot speak for all schools, but I was told at North Laurel, a player cannot begin practice for another high school sport until their current sport team's season is over. Personally, I like the rule.

I think if you are part of a team, you are part of a team until the end.

Nicely said...I see many schools like you stated using them for drills and dummy O/D. Although, the small schools probably have a lot of 2 and 3 sport athletes and I am sure it would be great to see those kids from Freshman and JV football in basketball sooner. I would think it even makes basketball tryouts tougher anticipating who will be there from football. Especially, if your football team does well...it could be mid-November before them get into the lineup???

I imagine that there are some schools that field separate practices for 9th grade and/or JV teams. However, I don't believe that most do. The purpose of the JV and freshmen teams is to build skill and enhance abilities, but to ultimately be able to compete well at the varsity level. Once JV season ends, the ability to learn and practice continues. Particularly in smaller schools, the JV team is needed during practice to contribute in drills and to "dummy" offensives/defenses.

If, after the JV season ends and the kids do not have this opportunity, then I agree that they should be allowed to move on to the next sport.

FWIW, the same exact thing can be said about basketball transitioning into baseball.

In November, if we have enough staff and kids to do so, we will send our young kids out for spring practice type drills- fundamentals, Oklahoma Drill, etc. We call it the "bomb squad."

No one could run the bomb squad like Chris Ullery and Drew Muntz!:sssh:

I cannot speak for all schools, but I was told at North Laurel, a player cannot begin practice for another high school sport until their current sport team's season is over. Personally, I like the rule.

I think if you are part of a team, you are part of a team until the end.

Fully agree w/this. Every school should adopt this idea, start one finish one. Some kids will start a season and see they will not get much playing time and then quit. Well fine but you should not be able to go to the next season for any kind of practice especially if there were cuts made. This kid took someone else's place and now they quit. Well don't reward them by letting them go to the next sport, teach them some responsibility. When I was in school and up until a few yrs ago, this was etched in stone. Now, they quit one and start another, not fair and shouldn't be happening.

I agree they should not be able to quit one and start another.

Fully agree w/this. Every school should adopt this idea, start one finish one. Some kids will start a season and see they will not get much playing time and then quit. Well fine but you should not be able to go to the next season for any kind of practice especially if there were cuts made. This kid took someone else's place and now they quit. Well don't reward them by letting them go to the next sport, teach them some responsibility. When I was in school and up until a few yrs ago, this was etched in stone. Now, they quit one and start another, not fair and shouldn't be happening.

I agree with most of you. If a kid starts sweating and working in mid July with the football team, he is as much a part of that team as the starters and upper classmen are. At a young age practice doesn't make perfect but it does make you better. For a basketball coach to expect a kid to quit football at the end of the season or in the playoffs is crazy. Odds are if he is a JV Footballer he is probably a JV B-ballers too and shouldn't be missed to much by the B-ball team either.

BTW this was beat to death already http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showthread.php?t=133786

I agree with most of you. If a kid starts sweating and working in mid July with the football team, he is as much a part of that team as the starters and upper classmen are. At a young age practice doesn't make perfect but it does make you better. For a basketball coach to expect a kid to quit football at the end of the season or in the playoffs is crazy. Odds are if he is a JV Footballer he is probably a JV B-ballers too and shouldn't be missed to much by the B-ball team either.

BTW this was beat to death already http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showthread.php?t=133786

What if he's not a JV basketball player, what if he's a varsity starter. What's the big deal of letting one, maybe two kids go to basketball. It's not going to hurt the football team at all, but it sure hurts the basketball team. Why punish the kids, all it does is makes the kid have to make a decision on what sport he wants to play.

What if he's not a JV basketball player, what if he's a varsity starter. What's the big deal of letting one, maybe two kids go to basketball. It's not going to hurt the football team at all, but it sure hurts the basketball team. Why punish the kids, all it does is makes the kid have to make a decision on what sport he wants to play.

You commit to a team. You see the season through. If that's a problem, focus solely on basketball.

This may be the most overused phrase on this site.

Everytime something is done that could have a negative for a kid it comes out. Heaven forbid anything ever be done that is not exactly what every kids wants or expects.:rolleyes:

Maybe, just maybe someone is doing the kid a favor when he makes a committment to a team by expecting him to fulfill it.

You obviously have never heard of the old saying, if you let one do it then you might as well let everyone do it. If you allow just one varsity starter to quit during the season then eventually jealously and envy will hit the other kids at some point, plus it does hurt the football team because it seperates a bond of a team, it can cause animosity amongst other players, trust me it happens. You have to set a precedent and not allow anyone to do it because then everyone will want to do it, or else they see it as favoritism.

This may be the most overused phrase on this site.

Everytime something is done that could have a negative for a kid it comes out. Heaven forbid anything ever be done that is not exactly what every kids wants or expects.:rolleyes:

Maybe, just maybe someone is doing the kid a favor when he makes a committment to a team by expecting him to fulfill it.

Agree, the kid is rarely even being punished in their eyes anyway, it usually the adults who make them believe they are being punished. If it weren't for the parents sometimes then the child would have no idea.

A typical JV season is done in week 9 of the varsity season. If a team went to the state or just the first round of the playoffs then that is a cumulation of around 8-24 practices that they missed. If they did that for 2 years they were JV then a possible 48 practices that a kid cheated themselves on. The rule allowing kids to stay in their sport until it is over is perfect, glad Rockcastle did that it enforces committment.

It's not hurting the basketball team either. If the player in question is a starter or top backup, it merely allows his stand in a bit more quality practice time with the varsity. The JV footballer will make up for the missed bball time quickly.

It's no major deal. Finish your seasonal commitment, then move on.