What's the one thing you want to see from the 2008 season?

You've never lived in Fort Thomas...:p

I'm not counting 'rec' ball. Basketball and baseball seasons aren't much different from football, only baseball's shorter.

Football=5 months

Basketball=5 months

Baseball=4 months

Clyde brings up a good point. Do we think an extra 10 days of practice in the spring closes the gap that much between other states?

Hell, Ohio starts basketball one month later than KY and has better basketball, overall...

I agree with the school seasons, but come on, we all know that baseball and basketball players are encouraged to play summer baseball, fall baseball, summer basketball, and AAU basketball. They are extensions of the schools, many of these teams are virtually the same as the school's team. Many people have stated that college recruiting occurs in summer and fall baseball, and summer and AAU basketball. It's unrequired, but required. By the same token, if there were big spring bowls, college coaches would be there, becuase they would have more time to recruite in the spring then they do in the fall.

I do think that spring football can be important to a schools success in the regular season, and making it more of an event could further this. It is especially important if a school looses many starters and looking to fill some holes. If it wasn't important, so many schools would not participate in it.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the school seasons, but come on, we all know that baseball and basketball players are encouraged to play summer baseball, fall baseball, summer basketball, and AAU basketball. They are extensions of the schools, many of these teams are virtually the same as the school's team. Many people have stated that college recruiting occurs in summer and fall baseball, and summer and AAU basketball. It's unrequired, but required. By the same token, if there were big spring bowls, college coaches would be there, becuase they would have more time to recruite in the spring then they do in the fall.

I do think that spring football can be important to a schools success in the regular season, and making it more of an event could further this. It is especially important if a school looses many starters and looking to fill some holes. If it wasn't important, so many schools would not participate in it.

And they're not encouraged to work out for football year round?

I'm not counting 'rec' ball. Basketball and baseball seasons aren't much different from football, only baseball's shorter.

And they're not encouraged to work out for football year round?

That goes back to your point. That is a school team.

I'm not opposed to players practicing baseball, basketball, or football year around. Good for them. Many basketball or baseball players do not play football and it gives them time to get better at their sport. The same is true for football some do not play baseball or basketball, shouldn't those players have the same opportunity to get better in the off season? Lifting and conditioning is important, but it doesn't replace football practice. Just like playing baseball and basketball is not replaced by lifting and conditioning.

We have to face it, all three sports are now year around, some would blame the coaches, but I do not. I think the reason for this is the players. The players want to play their sport(s) year around. And they have that opportunity in baseball and basketball. I am not proposing an AAU football season, but I think making the spring season an event something that players can get the most out of, would be good for the players that participate, good for the school team, and good for Kentucky football as a whole.

In Northern KY--A couple more state titles, one of our 6-A teams to make a serious run, Cov Cath to get past Highlands, and Bishop Brossart to get that elusive first win!!

I'll second the elusive first win for the 'Stangs.

:banana::banana::banana:

TD would be at the state game party no matter who is playing. And TD and RM are always welcome at our party.:dancingpa

As Rockmom stated before, since we could not choose to see our own team in the State game which is all I really want for X-mas, I turned it around again for my own selfish reasons and hope that X wins the state game so that Highlands could then (hopefully) be tied with Trinity for titles. Nothing against Trinity, just want my team to have it all.

H

I totally understand..just be mindful of that "bad karma" thing. Where you wish "ill" of others and it comes back to afflict your own. Good luck to you. Who is keeping count anyway:D

I want to see parents/fans act like they have some sense at the games and just shut up. Cheer for your teams and players but let the coaches coach.

I want to see people accept the fact their team lost because they just weren't as good as the winning team instead of blaming it on the officials, bad calls, the other team watering the field on Friday afternoon, etc.

I want to see rivalries stay fierce yet clean

I want to see PA announcers just tell us who carried or caught the ball instead of doing play by play or telling the fans to get on their feet, make noise, or git behand yur dee-fense.

I want to see people accept the six class format and quit griping about something they can't change.

I want to see parents/fans act like they have some sense at the games and just shut up. Cheer for your teams and players but let the coaches coach.

I want to see people accept the fact their team lost because they just weren't as good as the winning team instead of blaming it on the officials, bad calls, the other team watering the field on Friday afternoon, etc.

I want to see PA announcers just tell us who carried or caught the ball instead of doing play by play or telling the fans to get on their feet, make noise, or git behand yur dee-fense.

I want to see people accept the six class format and quit griping about something they can't change.

Unfortunately, the first 2 are fantasy.

Could not agree more on the PA announcer.

Good thoughts though...wish people had the sense to adopt it and accept it.

I would respectfully disagree with the value of spring football on the overall product. How many practices are they allowed to have? 10? I just don't think KY football would suffer at all without spring football.

I have first hand experience, it would. It's amazing what 10 practices can teach a kid if they are willing to participate and buy in.

I will settle for simply hearing the PA announcer in this category. When will that guy retire up at David Cecil Memorial Stadium? Seriously.