Hartline has taken lead in QB battle

pigman

Again I don't know how to post links, but it's in the Herald Leader today. Hartline is showing more leadership than Pulley. Seems like Curtis would've figured this out from the last time. It doesn't have to be the best athlete, but the best leader to be your QB, of course that's as long as the athletic ability is at least comparable.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again I don't know how to post links, but it's in the Herald Leader today. Hartline is showing more leadership than Pulley. Seems like Curtis would've figured this out from the last time. It doesn't have to be the best athlete, but the best leader to be your QB, of course that's as long as the athletic ability is at least comparable.

It could be well into fall camp before Kentucky Coach Rich Brooks names a starting quarterback, but if the off-season is any indication, sophomore Mike Hartline has taken a slight edge over junior Curtis Pulley.

Offensive coordinator Joker Phillips said reports that he's gotten so far suggest that Hartline has been the quarterback who has shown the most leadership this summer.

”They both are trying to lead, but Mike's a little bit ahead right now,“ Phillips said. ”He's doing things the right way.''

UK's first practice isn't until Aug. 5, so Pulley still has time to make up ground. But time is running out, and Phillips said the intangibles that are shown in the off-season mean just as much as what happens on the practice field.

Hartline

This could have been put out their for motivation. They did same thing to Lorezen, Boyd, and Woodson. But all 3 made it back to the number 1 spot.

I think Pulley is a good football player, I just don't think he can win games as the QB. Unless the run more of an option attack. Hartline has the skill to do what Woodson did last season.

This could have been put out their for motivation. They did same thing to Lorezen, Boyd, and Woodson. But all 3 made it back to the number 1 spot.

I think Pulley is a good football player, I just don't think he can win games as the QB. Unless the run more of an option attack. Hartline has the skill to do what Woodson did last season.

You are dead on right!

Both Coach Brooks and Coach Phillips want a quarterback who shows leadership and that includes being a leader in the classroom. Curtis Pulley is not measuring up to their expectations at present.

Curtis Pulley is a great athlete playing quarterback. I have seen flashes of brilliance from him on the football field. I have not seen any flashes from Mike Hartline.

The coaches know the potential that Pulley has and they are trying to light a fire in him before it is too late. Hartline has great mechanics as a QB and throws a nice ball but he needs PT to develop his decision making. Both will improve as the season goes on but there maybe some bumps in the road early in the season. UK is going to have to run it to throw it.

You are dead on right!

Both Coach Brooks and Coach Phillips want a quarterback who shows leadership and that includes being a leader in the classroom. Curtis Pulley is not measuring up to their expectations at present.

Curtis Pulley is a great athlete playing quarterback. I have seen flashes of brilliance from him on the football field. I have not seen any flashes from Mike Hartline.

Excellent points, but in all honesty, we really haven't seen Hartline on the field much anyway. What little PT he got, was normally handing the ball off to kill clock, and very little of that. Either way they will be an inexperienced QB who will need PT to improve. Look at Woodson. He was a MUCH better QB in each of his year's at UK. By the time he was a senior, he had become Da Man. Not saying that either will do this, but you never know.

Either way, I really trust Brooks and Phillips to make the right call on this one. But as long as he can keep his house in order, Pulley will be on the field somewhere helping the Cats.

IMO this would be the best possible scenario anyway. Since we are not an option team or anything like that, we just need a QB to get everyone out of the huddle, hand the ball off, call the right audibles, and make the throws he needs to. IMO Hartline can step in and do all the above, thus giving another solid option at wide-out with Pulley.