Do you ever get nostalgic....

rockmom

You are REALLY showing your age.:D:lol:

You sure you want to do this?

I don't mind...:lol: I'm a much better person for having gone through all those rough times. :lol: You know...like reheating leftovers in the oven or stovetop instead of the microwave. Like getting up to adjust the rabbit ears or flip the channels. :lol: (Have to admit... I still have rabbit ears for my TV).

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rockmom - I wrote letter's to my Mom when we were in Germany. We couldn't afford a phone call unless was an emergency. The great memory of the flash cubes was when our daughter's HS band used them as a prop in GA. Best thing ever invented was the computer. At least it isn't the IBM typewriter!

Don't dis the IBM selectric! I took typing in high school, and we had IBM selectrics. When I went home, all we had was my mom's old manual. I still have a healthy respect for the typing pools of the 40's and 50's. :lol:

Don't dis the IBM selectric! I took typing in high school, and we had IBM selectrics. When I went home, all we had was my mom's old manual. I still have a healthy respect for the typing pools of the 40's and 50's. :lol:

I flunked my 9th grade typing class because I was too lazy to do the work. However, I actually learned how to type in the class, and it's pretty much the only useful thing I took away from my high school education.

The IBM selectric was the bomb, with that built in correcting tape. Remember when you has to insert the little correcting ribbons manually?

Don't forget Encyclopedias, sitting somewhere in the house. Hardly ever used of course. Now there's google.

My fondest memories of the old days are getting home from school, and just going out till dark. We didn't tell our parents where we were going, and they didn't ask. Now, I watch my kid in the backyard, and question her about everyone she hangs out with. And call her when she's out if I'm worried.

I got my 1st cell phone in '85 I think, it weiged as much as a brick. I got rid of it a year later because EVERYONE was calling me, and I missed my privacy. Not to mention, back then it was $0.25 a minute, no talking plans. I didn't get one again till maybe 5 years ago, when you almost had too anymore.

BTW, with all the typos I had writing this, it would have taken me 15 minutes to complete the above post on an IMB selectric. :p

The IBM selectric was the bomb, with that built in correcting tape. Remember when you has to insert the little correcting ribbons manually?

Don't forget Encyclopedias, sitting somewhere in the house. Hardly ever used of course. Now there's google.

My fondest memories of the old days are getting home from school, and just going out till dark. We didn't tell our parents where we were going, and they didn't ask. Now, I watch my kid in the backyard, and question her about everyone she hangs out with. And call her when she's out if I'm worried.

I got my 1st cell phone in '85 I think, it weiged as much as a brick. I got rid of it a year later because EVERYONE was calling me, and I missed my privacy. Not to mention, back then it was $0.25 a minute, no talking plans. I didn't get one again till maybe 5 years ago, when you almost had too anymore.

BTW, with all the typos I had writing this, it would have taken me 15 minutes to complete the above post on an IMB selectric. :p

Great memories of typing term paper's on the electric typewriter :lol:. Miss a few word's and have to start the paper over.

I've now have been nostalgic a lot since this thread.

I remember watching tv shows like the following:

Ed Sullivan Show

Dean Martin Variety Show

Dean Martin Celebrate Roasts

Julia

Dragnet

Hawaii 5-O

Laugh In

I've now have been nostalgic a lot since this thread.

I remember watching tv shows like the following:

Ed Sullivan Show

Dean Martin Variety Show

Dean Martin Celebrate Roasts

Julia

Dragnet

Hawaii 5-O

Laugh In

Red Skelton

Jackie Gleason

The Time Tunnel

Smells do it for me. The distant smell of leaves burning on a fall afternoon takes me right back to my childhood.

I'm with that. The smell of vanilla body lotion always evokes strong memories of gentlemen's clubs in my head.

I'm with that. The smell of vanilla body lotion always evokes strong memories of gentlemen's clubs in my head.

:laugh:A somewhat different childhood from mine or do you just not go back as far when reminiscing?

Rockmom you hit a nerve. I was just thinking about how we as a society no longer need to "wait" for anything. It used to be you had 1 chance a year to watch Rudolph. Now you can pop the dvd in any day of the year, several times a day! Same goes for music. Got a song in your head you'd love to hear? You Tube or any number of music services can have the song playing before you get through the 1st verse. Anticipation is a lost art.... welcome to the generation of I want it, and I want it now.

^P.S. I watched some Foster Brooks clips recently on YouTube and was laughing so hard it hurt. When finished it hit me... Foster had not uttered one curse word the entire act. I miss the true comedians and am getting tired of the four letter word jokesters.