Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

If we had classes who would be state champs?

Featured Replies

Class everything or class nothing

  • Replies 59
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right on target with your reply.:thumb:

 

My cousin, who lives in Brookville Indiana, told me the class system had destroyed Indiana basketball. The state tournament games for the individual classes had low attendances, and the majority of the state's fans regretted the decision.

 

Did it destroy Indiana Basketball, or just the state tournment? If a non-class system works so well, I feel we go with it in all sports. Most of your truly small schools don't have football anyway. With the current regional alignments, several small schools could win their regions and get their brains beat in at the semi-state or state just like they do at the sweet sixteen. When was the last time a small non-private school made a run at the state tournament? -- I just feel that a class system could work if it was properly designed. Kentuckians love High School basketball, and not just the state tournament. I would love to see some of the potential match-ups that were listed in the thread above with the top teams in each class. -- By the way, how have we fared against the Indiana all-star team since High School hoops in Indiana has been destroyed?

Class everything or class nothing

AMEN!!!

WELL SAID!!!

You're right on target with your reply.:thumb:

 

My cousin, who lives in Brookville Indiana, told me the class system had destroyed Indiana basketball. The state tournament games for the individual classes had low attendances, and the majority of the state's fans regretted the decision.

Numbers have shown that while state tournament attendance is down slightly, attendance at the regionals and sectionals are higher because rival schools closer in size and closer in geography are playing for the chance to advance.

The Sweet Sixteen is the best high school tournament around. Anyone who says to class basketball is just wishful thinking fans. The KHSAA will never ever go for classification.

 

To answer a question from an earlier post, fans are extremely important to the KHSAA, because without them, there would be no money for any sports.

Lets say the same classes that we have in football for basketball.

 

6A - Scott County

5A - Mason County

4A -

3A -

2A -

1A - University Heights

 

Who'd win the others? Theres 3 other titles that are vacant. Might actually give these other programs something to shoot for year in year out.

 

 

Mason County is a 3A school, I believe.

I think westsider's list is pretty spot on

Before Kentucky goes to a class system I think you'll see a separate division for private schools. It's been talked before and I think it should and probably will happen somewhere down the road.

You're right on target with your reply.:thumb:

 

My cousin, who lives in Brookville Indiana, told me the class system had destroyed Indiana basketball. The state tournament games for the individual classes had low attendances, and the majority of the state's fans regretted the decision.

 

 

This myth has already been debunked. The attendance was down at first, but it has since rebounded according to a local radio guy who calls IN games on air.

This always confused me. There is such passion for single class basketball, with all the "little" guys thinking they can knock off the "big" guys. Which is awesome! But in football, there is more of a defeatist attitude. Is it just the numbers? Or is it that we are a basketball state with a huge history of the "little" guys winning?

 

Other than that, I like it the way it is, but think it will eventually change as that is the way the rest of the country has gone.

Did it destroy Indiana Basketball, or just the state tournment? If a non-class system works so well, I feel we go with it in all sports. Most of your truly small schools don't have football anyway. With the current regional alignments, several small schools could win their regions and get their brains beat in at the semi-state or state just like they do at the sweet sixteen. When was the last time a small non-private school made a run at the state tournament? -- I just feel that a class system could work if it was properly designed. Kentuckians love High School basketball, and not just the state tournament. I would love to see some of the potential match-ups that were listed in the thread above with the top teams in each class. -- By the way, how have we fared against the Indiana all-star team since High School hoops in Indiana has been destroyed?

 

 

I agree with this.. I think people mean the state tournament. Basketball has not been "destroyed" in Indiana.

I for one, living out of state, have watched some Tennessee HS Basketball, and I hate the class system in use here. I love that Kentucky is one of two states that still has a "true" state champion.

Numbers have shown that while state tournament attendance is down slightly, attendance at the regionals and sectionals are higher because rival schools closer in size and closer in geography are playing for the chance to advance.

 

Your school size argument holds water, but the geography one doesn't. How is it more geographically convenient for your district rival to be from three counties over rather than across town (an example that hits Madison HS, Southwestern and Madison Shawe in Jefferson Co., Ind.).

Why do we classify any sport then let anyone who wants to move up a class or two move up. You don't have to explain it , I know why. Who knows it could possibly help even the playing field in open enrollment counties.

I would like to see maybe the state go to six classes in B-ball. Then they could take the winner and runner-up from each class and play for one title.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.