Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

If we had classes who would be state champs?

Featured Replies

Anyone who attended the State Championship can see why Kentucky basketball is so special. I would become very ill if the KHSAA went to a class system. I don't think we have anything to worry about though.

 

One problem I do have is coverage for the Sweet 16. I'm not sure about other parts of the state, but in Northern Kentucky there is not enough coverage. Why isn't there a TV contract? Indiana had one before they went to a class system. I don't think we are promoting the Sweet 16 like we should be.

  • Replies 59
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really doesn't matter to me, but how can you say with certainty? I venture to say five years ago if you would have said that there would be six classes of football, most people would have said ,it will not happen.

 

Never say never.

 

I also believe that football is going back to 4 classes within the next few years because the reality of it is there aren't enough schools to have that many classes. I could be wrong though but I seem to remember reading something about them going back to 4 classes.

Anyone who attended the State Championship can see why Kentucky basketball is so special. I would become very ill if the KHSAA went to a class system. I don't think we have anything to worry about though.

 

One problem I do have is coverage for the Sweet 16. I'm not sure about other parts of the state, but in Northern Kentucky there is not enough coverage. Why isn't there a TV contract? Indiana had one before they went to a class system. I don't think we are promoting the Sweet 16 like we should be.

 

I agree. The only channel in nky that really covers it is ICN-6. None of the local media (channel 19, channel 5, channel 12) cover it. I think channel 5 was the only one to even have highlights of any Holmes games and it was the first round game against Bardstown and one highlight. The other stations would just post the score during sports and that was it.

I also believe that football is going back to 4 classes within the next few years because the reality of it is there aren't enough schools to have that many classes. I could be wrong though but I seem to remember reading something about them going back to 4 classes.

You may be right. They are scheduled to re-evaluate the football allignment after this coming season, so I guess we will find out then. Personally, I think they will go to a five class system.

[QUOTE=joejoe08;2762742]Anyone who attended the State Championship can see why Kentucky basketball is so special. I would become very ill if the KHSAA went to a class system. I don't think we have anything to worry about though.

 

One problem I do have is coverage for the Sweet 16. I'm not sure about other parts of the state, but in Northern Kentucky there is not enough coverage. Why isn't there a TV contract? Indiana had one before they went to a class system. I don't think we are promoting the Sweet 16 like we should be.

 

I don't really care either way , but I do see the other side of the issue. In the last two years there have been only 4 games desided by 4 or less points. About half of the games are 10 or 12 point games and the rest are blowouts. You don't have to take my word for it, you can look it up. I will continue to watch the games either way, but they may be able to make it more exciting for some schools.:thumb:

If there were six classes, these schools would be among the contenders ...

 

6A ... Scott County, Male, Ballard, Manual, Dunbar, Pleasure Ridge Park

5A ... Bryan Station, Holmes, Jeffersontown, Owensboro

4A ... Lexington Catholic, Covington Catholic, Muhlenberg North

3A ... Mason County, Paducah Tilghman, Adair County, Central

2A ... DeSales, Shelby Valley, Corbin, Bardstown, St.Henry, Covington Holy Cross

A ... University Heights, Paintsville, Hazard, Elliott County, June Buchanan, Gallatin County, Lexington Christian, Rose Hill

 

I may have missed a team or two, but I think I'm pretty close ...

 

Thanks for this information. It is interesting. I don't see KY going to classes, unless schools have a choice which class for basketball they want to join - the the point is moot anyway. Also, I would find the Sweet 16 more interesting if it were really the best 16 teams. I would support less district games and 1 more game at the state level...Sweet 32?? Fill up Rupp 10-2 and 4-6 the first two days.

Thanks for this information. It is interesting. I don't see KY going to classes, unless schools have a choice which class for basketball they want to join - the the point is moot anyway. Also, I would find the Sweet 16 more interesting if it were really the best 16 teams. I would support less district games and 1 more game at the state level...Sweet 32?? Fill up Rupp 10-2 and 4-6 the first two days.

 

I wouldn't mind seeing a 32 team field. There are a lot of region runner ups in the state that are better than some of the state's region champs.

 

The 11th is a prime example. I say do the 32 team field the same way as the region tournaments. Region # runner up v Region # Champ. If they do it that way and use the same drawing you'd have the following match ups:

 

Upper bracket:

Lexcath v Christian CO

University Heights v Bryan Station (What a matchup! Mack v Hopson)

 

Central v Apollo

Owensboro v Fairdale

 

J'town v Johnson Central

Paintsville v Eastern

 

Bardstown v Covcath

Holmes v Central Hardin

 

Lower Bracket:

South Laurel v Perry County Central

Hazard v Corbin

 

Shelby County v West Jessamine

Lincoln Co v Gallatin Co

 

Paducah Tilghman v Bowling Green

Greenwood v Graves Co

 

Mason Co v East Carter

Elliot Co v Montgomery Co

 

 

That's the only way to make sure that the best 16 teams make it to Rupp. Play the first round games Tuesday and Wed and make it a week long tourney with the championship being played on Sunday rather than Sat, since an extra game is added.

 

 

BTW looking at the upper bracket, how loaded would that be? Six of the state's top 10 teams all being showcased on one day.

I look for them to go to 4 classes soon. 6 is way to many. That will put the final 4 of all classes at rupp. Will still be the sweet 16, but will have the final 4 of Class A, 2A, 3A, and 4A. Will still be something great to see and give these other schools an opportunity to have a state championship. This will move the All A tourney to the end of the year instead of in the middle of it. Give all the teams the option if they want to play up or not and then go with what you have left.

I don't see this scenario ever happening.

 

Kentucky's system works. The Sweet 16 is too big and too popular for it to change. I'm from a school with 230 enrollment, and we will more than likely never win the Sweet 16 (our county's entire population would fit in Rupp's two inzone sections). But I like it just the way it is. The All A Classic is doing just fine as a way to apease the small schools, while still giving them a chance to win the big one.

would have been interesting if this played out to be

6 - Scott Co

5 - Bryan Station

4 - Lex Cath

 

all from the 11th.

Why do you think that no one would attend?

 

It's not that no one would attend. But the only people who would attend would be those who have direct ties to the schools playing. Few casual fans would show up, similar to what we see in football. With the single class magic gone, the allure disappears for 3/4 of the 16K-20K people who show up for each session of the Sweet 16 at Rupp.

 

I don't know why this is so hard for some to figure out.

It's not that no one would attend. But the only people who would attend would be those who have direct ties to the schools playing. Few casual fans would show up, similar to what we see in football. With the single class magic gone, the allure disappears for 3/4 of the 16K-20K people who show up for each session of the Sweet 16 at Rupp.

 

I don't know why this is so hard for some to figure out.

You're right on target with your reply.:thumb:

 

My cousin, who lives in Brookville Indiana, told me the class system had destroyed Indiana basketball. The state tournament games for the individual classes had low attendances, and the majority of the state's fans regretted the decision.

It's not that no one would attend. But the only people who would attend would be those who have direct ties to the schools playing. Few casual fans would show up, similar to what we see in football. With the single class magic gone, the allure disappears for 3/4 of the 16K-20K people who show up for each session of the Sweet 16 at Rupp.

 

I don't know why this is so hard for some to figure out.

 

Agreed. I might not go so far as to say that 3/4 of the crowd would find something else to do, but the magic would be gone.

Agreed. I might not go so far as to say that 3/4 of the crowd would find something else to do, but the magic would be gone.

But who is the tournament for..... the casual fan or the players????

The kids are the ones that would get to have the lasting memories.

Go to classes!!! What's good for the other sports should be good for basketball.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.