March 31, 200818 yr Last night on baseball tonight they were talking and said health would probably keep the Mets from winning the division. At one point during spring training Jose Reyes and David Wright were the only regulars that were healthy.. I really think it's awesome to start the season with health issues.
March 31, 200818 yr Ok well now the braves are: 0-1 at night 0-1 on the road 0-1 when I eat Subway, so.... No more Subway when the Braves play night games on the road! :lol: And they say ball players are not superstitious.:thumb:
March 31, 200818 yr Since this is the Braves thread, let me ask if anyone remembers that crazier than crazy July 4th game back in the late 80's I believe. You know, the one that went on..and on...and on...and on. Maybe like 20 some innings. I know that RICK CAMP hit a grand slam to tie it at one point. I would love to watch that game again... if I could set aside 8 or 9 hours to watch it. Anyone remember it? Remember anymore details? I remember watching most of it. Keith Hernandez hit for the cycle. Gary Carter caught all 19 innings. Darryl Strawberry was ejected for arguing balls and strikes in the 16th or 17th inning. Camp hit the HR to tie it in the 18th inning, then was the losing pitcher. Neither starter made it past the 5th inning. The final score was 16-13. The couple of hundred fans left at 4am were treated to the fireworks show at AFC Stadium.
April 1, 200818 yr Wild one tonight! Braves come from 5 down in the 9th (I think it was). Lose in 12 innings 12-11! Here we go with the bullpen again!
April 1, 200818 yr 0-2....not a great start. The NL East, while not a killer will be supremely competitive, Atlanta is not well suited to get down double digits in the first 6-8 weeks.
April 1, 200818 yr Author The Braves will be ok. I had to work so I seen nothing of the game nor highlights. Some things stick out..The offense, yet again, can score almost anytime..The bullpen is still being figured out and will settle down but these two out runs have to stop. All runs in the Nationals game was with 2 outs and tonight the game winning homerun was with 2 outs. They need someone to step up and want a job because it seems like none of these guys do. I do believe the Braves will catch on and be ok.
April 1, 200818 yr 0-2....not a great start. The NL East, while not a killer will be supremely competitive, Atlanta is not well suited to get down double digits in the first 6-8 weeks. There are 160 games left, right? Let's not over react after 2 games.
April 1, 200818 yr Since this is the Braves thread, let me ask if anyone remembers that crazier than crazy July 4th game back in the late 80's I believe. You know, the one that went on..and on...and on...and on. Maybe like 20 some innings. I know that RICK CAMP hit a grand slam to tie it at one point. I would love to watch that game again... if I could set aside 8 or 9 hours to watch it. Anyone remember it? Remember anymore details? It was 1985, I remember watching a lot of it after I got in for the night. Here's a link to the box score and play-by-play. http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/ATL/ATL198507040.shtml
April 1, 200818 yr Camp's homer was a solo shot. It was also the only lifetime homerun for the .074 career hitter--and one of only 13 lifetime hits.
April 1, 200818 yr Center field is going to be a problem for the Braves. Kotsay is on the downside of his career and Anderson isn't much of a prospect ... he looks like Juan Pierre at best. It will be interesting to see if Escobar is a fulltime shortstop ... if his defense is lacking, I wonder if the Braves might move him or Johnson (who has OF experience) to CF when Lillibridge is ready.
April 1, 200818 yr Author Center field is going to be a problem for the Braves. Kotsay is on the downside of his career and Anderson isn't much of a prospect ... he looks like Juan Pierre at best. It will be interesting to see if Escobar is a fulltime shortstop ... if his defense is lacking, I wonder if the Braves might move him or Johnson (who has OF experience) to CF when Lillibridge is ready. Are you joking me...Yes Kotsay isn't what he was but I seem to recall him making some pretty good plays last night. And as for Escobar he made a couple of spectacular plays in the first game. Escobar is really good defensively and has a really strong arm to make the tough plays. He's young, the errors will come but he will develop into one of the best shortstops in the game. Actually Lillibridge is considered a "blocked" prospect. If anyone from the infield is being considered to play center field then it actually is Lillibridge. Escobar is the future shortstop for the Braves and he will stay there. To say Anderson isn't much of a prospect is ridiculous. When he came up for the Astros at the end of last season he batted really well and has pretty good speed. And during this years spring training he fielded and batted pretty well also. Schafer will be ready for center field next year so all we need is a stopgap for now.
April 1, 200818 yr Are you joking me...Yes Kotsay isn't what he was but I seem to recall him making some pretty good plays last night. And as for Escobar he made a couple of spectacular plays in the first game. Escobar is really good defensively and has a really strong arm to make the tough plays. He's young, the errors will come but he will develop into one of the best shortstops in the game. Actually Lillibridge is considered a "blocked" prospect. If anyone from the infield is being considered to play center field then it actually is Lillibridge. Escobar is the future shortstop for the Braves and he will stay there.\ Everything I've read indicates that Lillibridge is considered the better defensive player. If Escobar hits, his arm might make him a better choice for a move to the outfield. Kotsay has chronic back problems and he's 32 ... at this point, he's not even an average player. He may have a bounceback year, but I wouldn't count on it. To say Anderson isn't much of a prospect is ridiculous. When he came up for the Astros at the end of last season he batted really well and has pretty good speed. And during this years spring training he fielded and batted pretty well also. Schafer will be ready for center field next year so all we need is a stopgap for now.Check out Anderson's minor league numbers ... he's not a quality prospect. He's Juan Pierre at best, and nobody with any credibility thinks Pierre is a valuable player at this point. Schafer is just now starting out at Double-A ... no guarantee he's ready next year.
April 1, 200818 yr Author Everything I've read indicates that Lillibridge is considered the better defensive player. If Escobar hits, his arm might make him a better choice for a move to the outfield. Kotsay has chronic back problems and he's 32 ... at this point, he's not even an average player. He may have a bounceback year, but I wouldn't count on it. Check out Anderson's minor league numbers ... he's not a quality prospect. He's Juan Pierre at best, and nobody with any credibility thinks Pierre is a valuable player at this point. Schafer is just now starting out at Double-A ... no guarantee he's ready next year. If you're a Braves fan then you've had to have read the numerous upon numerous articles that state Escobar is not moving anywhere and is the shortstop, that's the reason they traded Renteria. Also numerous articles have said that the Braves will let Schafer go half double-A and half triple-A and that he'll be the opening day centerfielder for '09. As for Anderson in 24 games with Houston last season he batted .358 with 24 hits, 10 runs scored, 1 SB, 11 RBI's, 5 walks, and 6 strikeouts. Everyone struggles. Lillibridge hit .224 this spring, Anderson hit .260 Schafer hit .316 so I think as long as he continues to develop he will be the Braves opening day CF'er.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.