Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Would the NIT have been a better scenario for UK?

Upon retrospect, I would have rather seen the Cats: 65 members have voted

  1. 1. Upon retrospect, I would have rather seen the Cats:

    • Get the NCAA bid, even with the one and out
      83%
      54
    • Get an NIT invite;beat Florida for the title
      16%
      11

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

I was hoping that Kentucky would get into the field of 64, as were most fans, but I wonder if maybe the Cats would have been better served to have not gotten the NCAA invite. Is there anyone that thinks UK would have benefited more from an NIT appearence? Possible reasons:

 

1. A couple of home games

 

2. Good shot at 20+ win season

 

3. Possibly 5 more post-season tourney games that the underclassmen would have under their belts going into next year.

 

4. A shot at being only one of two D1 teams that end their seasons with a win and a trophy.

 

5. A few more games to enjoy Bradley and Crawford, and maybe a MSG appearence for the deserving seniors.

 

6. UK - UF one more time, with the Cats a chance at derailing the Gators bid for three straight end of season titles.

 

7. Build more confidence going into next season.

 

 

Looking back, would you rather have seen the Cats go one and out in the Big Dance or beat the Gators for the NIT championship?

all of those are good reasons to go to the NIT.

 

But had UK made just a few more plays they would have played at least one more game.

One and done.

 

With the exception of points #5 and #6, UK still had a chance (very slim chance, I know) of achieving the other goals stated.

 

If given the opportunity, you roll the dice in the big show.

 

The younger guys on the team were going to see the court just as much time either way.

The extra practice time would have helped the younger Cats (similar to college football bowl practices), but a close NCAA tourney loss is better than a couple NIT wins IMO...

NO-NO-NO-NO-NO-NO-NO-NO-NO!!!!!!

NCAA and keep the string alive and going for when we are better. 17 straight is still nice!

The Not Invitited Tourney is just that.

I still think it's an early exit for the Cats either way. So I would agree that just getting an NCAA berth was a fine way to end the season considering everything that happened since November.

  • Author
I still think it's an early exit for the Cats either way. So I would agree that just getting an NCAA berth was a fine way to end the season considering everything that happened since November.

 

you think the Cats get an early exit from the NIT, as well? Certainly very possible.

you think the Cats get an early exit from the NIT, as well? Certainly very possible.

Without a true post presence and relying on 2 kids to carry the load, it was going to be an uphill battle anyway you slice it.

Though I'm not really a UK fan, I can't help but think that the experience of this one game in the big dance will go a long way toward developing the young returning players more than an additional game or two in the NIT - I doubt they would have won this tournament either. This group of young men really learned a lot about perserverance and the fruits of developing this trait this season. The reward of making the NCAA's when it appeared early on that there was no chance for any postseason play has to be the best for the Cats.

Who wants to play in the NCAA?? NIT all the way baby....:ylsuper:

The problem with the notion that UK going to the NIT = more experience is that the two players that will log the most minutes are Seniors. We loose them either way. So an NIT bid may give them some extra games to play it does little to nothing to succeed against lesser teams with a banged up squad than going in and playing one gutsy game against a better team in the NCAA.

 

So my answer is no, give me the NCAA bid anytime.

The Not Invitited Tourney is just that.
But the Can't Buy Invitation, is actually the Must Buy Invitational. :D

Nope. No way would the NIT have been better for these guys.

 

After the loss of Meeks and Patterson, these guys played on nothing but guts, heart, and courage. I think the dissapointment of not making the NCAA would have been the straw that broke the camels back and would have led to a first or second round loss in the NIT.

 

Just by making the NCAA, they accomplished much more than they would have by winning a game or two in the NIT.

 

Also, making the NCAA gave us a lot of good publicity and kept a lot of heat off Billy G's back.

 

I see no reason why we would have benefited by going to the NIT.

I think it's a tough decision. If we didn't have an NCAA streak going, I would think about it harder.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.